BA vs. Dynamic drivers: A discussion
Aug 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #92 of 134
Quote:
The bass on the ER-4 was super detailed and razor sharp, yes..... but too thin and lacking in.. how to put it... uummph.

Did you amp them?

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #93 of 134
ER-4PT direct out of a standard mp3 player was really dull.

ER-4PT(S) + 75 ohm cable out of a headphone amp (Yulong U100) really took them up a level, however I felt I could drive the ER-4S just fine out of my DAP, or at max volume out of my laptop.

I never EQ'd them actually, but the razory bass is ill-suited for my electronic music, which often has distorted bass on purpose, and then the ER-4 really just shows that shredded bass to you and it sounds like something is incorrect (when it's not, it's just displaying that information in the bass to you in an uncommon way), so the ER-4S was ill-suited for that, however I still liked them a lot, apart from the fit.

I'd be happy to try the ER-4 again in a custom IEM, which I intend on doing rather soon I think, I think the perfect fit and perhaps eq'ing the bass like you're saying with result in a pretty good sound.

The EX600 btw, I find is leaning more towards razory bass than uumphy bass, it's just borderline razory for me, to be honest I like the bass in the EX700 better, which quite likely has my subjective favorite bass in any IEM, but the EX600 mids are far far nicer than the EX700.

Edit: The EX600 has better sub-bass than the EX700 though, however it has less hmm how to explain this... it has less viscerality.... ugh I hate analyzing the weaknesses of the EX600 I love this IEM so much.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #95 of 134

Quote:
and by the way, let me deviate with a highly subjective and colourful statement for a moment:

I'm listening to the EX600 right now and it crushes the ER-4P all over the place, it's like listening to full-size blaring floor speakers versus 10cm tall logitechs, it's like Usain Bolt competing against Jennifer Lopez in a 100m sprint, it's like technicolor ice-cream versus plain vanilla, it's like passionfruit vodka versus fermented tap water in Sierra Leone. 

That's a bit exaggerated! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #100 of 134
Old thread, but Kiteki is right. The Etys have little bass impact due to the nature of the BA. But razor sharp is a good way to put it. I like this kind of bass. I think the more impact that is present, the less resolution you get (with the hf5).

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #102 of 134
Jan 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #103 of 134
While IEM's like the Ety's might not have the same BOOM as some dynamics and even other BA's but with a descant amp the bass sounds very clean and can go relatively deep with a good bit of punch.  To be honest I think my HF5 while its bass doesn't have the same impact as my TF10's or FXT90's it has a more clean and cohesive sound but thats not to say I like it more than the others.  I still like my Ety's a lot and their a good change of pace IEM for me when I want a more detailed sound.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #105 of 134

Quote:

Huh?

What does that have to do with anything?

It doesn't move much air like dynamic drivers.

Also, if anyone's interested, I don't have a preference for dynamic or BA, it entirely depends on the headphone. Having heard quite a few IEMs the EX600 and hf5 remains my favorites, both are fairly flat, yet they sound so different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back