BA vs. Dynamic drivers: A discussion
Jan 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #122 of 134

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the SuperDarts? And how they compare to the TF10 if you've heard those?

I haven't heard the TF10

Thoughts on SuperDarts, similar to the PFE 232 on greys with some minor differences, the main being the V is stretched out a few dB deeper.
  1. Bass: Powerful, impactful, with beautiful, euphoric texture.  It really outdoes the 232s in this area quite well.  Although the 232s and SDs do sound like they have similar quantity, the SDs do beat out the 232s in total quantity with everything but the body (SDs essentially have little to no bass body).
  2. Mds: Open, airy mids (I'm assuming the TF10 is the opposite of this from what I've heard and seen).  Although there is great energy and dynamics in the SDs, I feel that they lack clarity and detail.
  3. Highs: Crispy, detailed, aggressive at times.  Highly energetic and sparkly though.  Extension is great as well.

I overall do enjoy the SuperDarts a lot, the presentation is a weird one as we have an extremely open and airy bass-heavy IEM that extends in the treble greatly.  Like the 232s, the midrange is weakness here, even moreso.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #123 of 134
This thread kinda makes me mad with all the generalizations. BA's can be bassy, even a single BA can be bassy if done correctly. The Sleek Audio SA6 is actually pretty bassy and pretty impactful. It also has a very nice mid-range, and actually have good sound stage as well. The only thing id ask for would be a bit more sparkle, but they are forgiving and non tiring, so i dont mind. Its single vented BA. The guy who said a dynamic will beat any BA is just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #124 of 134
popcorn.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #126 of 134
Is there a BA that can rumble?

Also, how do BAs handle distortion?

My SA6's rumble pretty good with dubstep. Of course some metal has deep bass to which rumbles good on them too.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

May 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #127 of 134
This is an interesting thread, revisiting it to see if there are any newer comments to be made.

May 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #128 of 134
This is an interesting thread, revisiting it to see if there are any newer comments to be made.

Well, i just got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-CKM500's a week ago. My prior best pair of in-ears were the Sleek Audio SA6. I thought the SA6's had great clarity and great detail, these CKM500's have even more detail and clarity, and also have better top end. They are a bit brighter and are definitely more extended up top too. In terms of bass and mid-range, id call them pretty equal, but in terms of treble the CKM wins hands down. The CKM's also extend deeper in the bass too, but i never had a problem with the SA6's bass. The problem with the SA6 was that even with the most aggressive filter in place they still didnt have enough treble for me and didnt extend very high up. So BA drivers dont always have the best detail. Some dynamics still win.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #129 of 134
Just throwing this out there: HYBRIDS!!!!

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #130 of 134
I got my first set of dynamic driver IEMs about a month ago and I can't figure how a BA IEM can compete.  The key being that the vented dynamic driver can create space around instruments in a way that I don't think a BA due to the inherent difference in properties. 

That said, the fact that BA IEMs truly seal is a massive point in their favor that I notice doesn't get mentioned enough in discussion.  There are great BA IEMs that do bass well, but dynamic driver bass more fullness. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #131 of 134
Perhaps but I find dynamic bass to be looser and sloppier and slower sounding.  But I haven't listened to a ton of them either.

The fact that BA's "seal" is a huge factor for anyone that does portable listening while exercising as sweat would be death on a more open vented system.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #132 of 134
The seal of BA IEMs is a huge plus in their favor.  I love the sound quality of my dynamic IEM, but the fact they're vented makes their function as a portable headphone less obvious.

If you're anything like me, you should give a good dynamic IEM another chance.  I come from full sized headphones, which is surprisingly rare in this forum, and immediately noticed the greater similarity. 

I'm excited because I'm about to do my own real-world test of the question of this thread.  I've got a pair of dual dynamic TDK's and am receiving their twin in BA form.  They're said to be very close in performance, but I can't envision the BA IEM being able to compete in bass or soundstage just purely on a technical basis.   

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #133 of 134
I wish I could compare the IE800 and the SE846 the same day,equipment and music since they seem to be top of their game and although i have heard each at different times they both sound better than any other IEM that I have currently heard.
I wish the mfg.'s could produce either of these below a grand which is IMO hard to swallow for an IEM not so much for full size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back