AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,202 of 2,514
Just go home from visiting the hifistore where i got my DF. Luckily they had received a shipment of these this week, got a replacement right away, one with leather pouch. Grind, your unit is definately defected.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,203 of 2,514
He said that on another PC the DF works perfectly fine and you think it's safe to assert his unit is defective?
I'm a bit puzzled.
confused.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,204 of 2,514
Ah he did say that, DF seems to default to 96khz (magenta) when you plug it in on a windows pc, did you test it with 44.1 (green) on the other pc? Mine had problems with 44.1/88.2, and worked okey with 48/96 for a while, untill i started hearing little clicking on that too every now and then.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,205 of 2,514
Mine is a first gen (I got it the first week they were out) and it has always shifted as it should depending on the source material. I use it on both Mac's and PC's with no issue. Awesome little device!

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,207 of 2,514
Quote:
Anyone know if this thing works with a Galaxy S3 phone pumping USB audio over otg cable?

It's not made to be run from a mobile device, but iv read it has worked on some android phones, maybe with audio recorder pro app from play store can drive it. Also phone probably can't give it enough juice to run. Maybe with something like this, that can pull additional power from portable usb charger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-w-USB-power-Male-Female-Samsung-S2-i9100-S3-i9300-9220-/281145913835?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item41759a31eb

Also, have a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
And: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628667/has-anyone-tried-aq-dragonfly-with-s3-using-otg

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #1,208 of 2,514
It's not made to be run from a mobile device, but iv read it has worked on some android phones, maybe with audio recorder pro app from play store can drive it. Also phone probably can't give it enough juice to run. Maybe with something like this, that can pull additional power from portable usb charger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-w-USB-power-Male-Female-Samsung-S2-i9100-S3-i9300-9220-/281145913835?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item41759a31eb

Also, have a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

And: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628667/has-anyone-tried-aq-dragonfly-with-s3-using-otg

Thanks for the info. The links don't actually confirm whether it is possible or not. I want to make sure of this (too many purchasing mistakes already). A powered USB hub would be an ok compromise.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,209 of 2,514
Quote:
@Krutsch / Grind: Are you running ANY utility/gadget/add-on for power management on the affected PCs or are you using any CPU throttling manager like the nVidia power manager or even the Windows built-in battery magager?

To be honest, I've stopped trying to run my DF with my Windows 8 Ultrabook, which I use with my desktop rig.  
With my MacBook Retina and my 2009 Mac Mini, it works great and that's that 
L3000.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,210 of 2,514
Quote:
To be honest, I've stopped trying to run my DF with my Windows 8 Ultrabook, which I use with my desktop rig.  
With my MacBook Retina and my 2009 Mac Mini, it works great and that's that 
L3000.gif

At work I've used the DF with Windows 7 watching Youtube music videos and have had no problems.

I think the DF is made for the Mac. I'm running Amarra with my MBAir and they all work together seamlessly with various high resolution audio.  I can watch the DF change colors without lifting a finger. Throw on your favorite headphones, add a portable amp if you want, and your ready to rock.
beyersmile.png

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #1,212 of 2,514
Quote:
Ah he did say that, DF seems to default to 96khz (magenta) when you plug it in on a windows pc, did you test it with 44.1 (green) on the other pc? Mine had problems with 44.1/88.2, and worked okey with 48/96 for a while, untill i started hearing little clicking on that too every now and then.

So there is no sound at 44.1, on magenta and blue there is sound but terrible cracks and pops on sound. Weird. I contacted the shop i bought the unit, i´ll just wait what they have to say about this.

Quote:
@Krutsch / Grind: Are you running ANY utility/gadget/add-on for power management on the affected PCs or are you using any CPU throttling manager like the nVidia power manager or even the Windows built-in battery magager?

No, everything is off. This was one of the first thing i did when trying to solve the problem.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,213 of 2,514
I've been thinking about getting one of these. I have a Macbook Pro and LCD3's, and while I don't take them on the road often, I'd like something a step up from my Fiio E17 for when I do. While someone said this will drive the LCD3, has anyone tried it? Is this a step you would recommend for me?

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,214 of 2,514
Quote:
I've been thinking about getting one of these. I have a Macbook Pro and LCD3's, and while I don't take them on the road often, I'd like something a step up from my Fiio E17 for when I do. While someone said this will drive the LCD3, has anyone tried it? Is this a step you would recommend for me?

Thanks!

The DF drives the HE-400 well but with my T1, I add an ALO MKll portable amp.  My guess with the LCD3 you might be better off adding a potable amp to that E17.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,215 of 2,514
Hi Guys,

First - Sorry of this has been brought up before, but I have only got as far as page 8.

I bought the AQ a while ago and have not really had a chance to use it until now.
I have been trying to use them today and am getting strange things happening:

1) Volume - I can still hear the music even if the Windows System volume slider is set to the bottom ie zero
    In fact its almost impossible to get the volume to a proper level because as soon as I move the slider up, its way too loud in my IEM

2) The sound that I do get once past zero distorts into what sound like the old vinyl being played backwards.

I have tried this via MediaMonkey and Foobar

I am assuming I am not the only one having this issue and it has been discussed in the last 80 pages - can some one advise or point me to the relevant posts.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back