AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 8, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #1,216 of 2,514
Quote:
Hi Guys,

1) Volume - I can still hear the music even if the Windows System volume slider is set to the bottom ie zero
    In fact its almost impossible to get the volume to a proper level because as soon as I move the slider up, its way too loud in my IEM

Yeah, it doesn't go down to zero, get an amp for it. I'm using mine with arrow 4G.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #1,217 of 2,514
Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't go down to zero, get an amp for it. I'm using mine with arrow 4G.

mmmm....I thought it was supposed to be an "all in one".
It seems to defeat the point of it, if it needs to be attached to an amp to be able to adequately manage the sound levels.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #1,218 of 2,514
Originally Posted by kryten123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought the AQ a while ago and have not really had a chance to use it until now.
I have been trying to use them today and am getting strange things happening:

1) Volume - I can still hear the music even if the Windows System volume slider is set to the bottom ie zero
    In fact its almost impossible to get the volume to a proper level because as soon as I move the slider up, its way too loud in my IEM

2) The sound that I do get once past zero distorts into what sound like the old vinyl being played backwards.

I have tried this via MediaMonkey and Foobar

I am assuming I am not the only one having this issue and it has been discussed in the last 80 pages - can some one advise or point me to the relevant posts.

What IEMs are you using?
Have you tried a different PC?
Have you tried installing the CEntrance Universal Audio Driver?

I'm using Shure E4c IEMs, Windows 7 with the Universal Driver, and my comfortable volume range is between 10 and 15 (out of 100) on the Windows System volume.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,220 of 2,514
Quote:
Without amp, 0-3 is okey with AKG K550 for me, And with Shure se535, 0 is bit too loud.

So where can i download this driver without filling in a form?

I've tried with a few IEMs but its very hard to control the volume level as anything up 2 is really loud. It also distorts by sounding like a record being played backwards.
I've tried it on a couple of machines are work XP and Win7 - going to give it a try tonight at home.

@whippler - if you find where to get the driver without filling in the form, let me know
wink_face.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,221 of 2,514
Quote:

What IEMs are you using?
Have you tried a different PC?
Have you tried installing the CEntrance Universal Audio Driver?

I'm using Shure E4c IEMs, Windows 7 with the Universal Driver, and my comfortable volume range is between 10 and 15 (out of 100) on the Windows System volume.

Well Downloaded it, but it doesn't detect DF for me, so what a waste.

I ques only way to drive sensitive headphones directly from dragonfly is either getting on amp that goes low enough, or using digital volume control on PC to tame it down. Anyway i don't like stepped volume controls anyway, its always not enough or too much.

@Krypten123 As for the distortion, dunno whats up with that, do you have one of the early models, string pouch?

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,222 of 2,514

I ques only way to drive sensitive headphones directly from dragonfly is either getting on amp that goes low enough, or using digital volume control on PC to tame it down. Anyway i don't like stepped volume controls anyway, its always not enough or too much.

@Krypten123 As for the distortion, dunno whats up with that, do you have one of the early models, string pouch?

Yes it is one of the pouch ones....was there an issue? (Up to page 20 of this thread so far)

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,223 of 2,514
I used to have one of those, but it started degrading, some crackling on 44.1 and 88.2, then it got worse over time started cutting out the sound, and then also on 48 and 96 a little bit. Finally got it replaced last week. And as far as i know, quite a few people have been getting their Dragonflies replaced, newer ones come with a 'leather' sleeve.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,224 of 2,514

I wasn't sure if the CEntrance Universal Audio Driver was relevant, but I have it installed on the PC that I also use with the Dragonfly. (CEntrance DACmini when at home, and Dragonfly when travelling.) I didn't know whether the driver might have been affecting the usable range of the Windows System Volume. I guess not. Sorry for the confusion.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,225 of 2,514
Tested DF on home laptop with JRiver - and it all works fine. Able to fully control the DF in discrete amounts so I don't get deafened and no longer sounds like someone trying to summon beelzebub.

Seems like its an issue with my work PCs
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,226 of 2,514
Need some help here!

I was reading reviews about AudioQuest Dragonfly and someone mentioned the SQ improved when he/she used a better sound card. But in my understanding the SQ shouldn't be impacted by onboard sound card once you have external DAC. Is that right?

If that's not the case,  can I install ASUS Xonar Essence STX into my Dell laptop - Inspiron, to improve the sound card?

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,227 of 2,514
Quote:
Need some help here!

I was reading reviews about AudioQuest Dragonfly and someone mentioned the SQ improved when he/she used a better sound card. But in my understanding the SQ shouldn't be impacted by onboard sound card once you have external DAC. Is that right?

If that's not the case,  can I install ASUS Xonar Essence STX into my Dell laptop - Inspiron, to improve the sound card?

As I understand it, the Dragonfly uses the USB port to bypass the internal DAC of the pc...so I fail to see how a better sound card will have any bearing on the sound from the Dragonfly.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,228 of 2,514
Quote:
Quote:
Need some help here!

As I understand it, the Dragonfly uses the USB port to bypass the internal DAC of the pc...so I fail to see how a better sound card will have any bearing on the sound from the Dragonfly.

+1

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,229 of 2,514
kryten123 -  I have the same issue as you with windows xp only.  Audioquest was no help either. They said it was a driver issue, but I used a few different ones and all had the same issue. Mine shoots to full output and does the crazy freakout thing once I come back up from zero.  Windows 7 and OSX have no issues at all. Yes, with IEM's, volume can get high quickly and I did not like that.   I also felt it did a better job as a DAC only and not as a headphone amplifier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back