AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,921 of 2,514
  Ok,
I have the v1.0 dragonfly and the v1.2 dragonfly on Windows 7 with wasapi audio driver outputting at 24bit 96Khz.
I have compared the two and the following can be said:

* v1.0 has more bottom end and is fuller and more punchier
* v1.0 is warmer and more analog sounding
* v1.2 has up top clarity and detail with more zing
* v1.2 has less punch on the bottom end and is more digital sounding

Which you prefer is up to personal taste but I hope this helps others.
I personally enjoy both of them :)

I have the v1.0 and v1.2 too and I agree with your impressions. When I compared them I heard a slight difference but wasn't sure how to describe it, your impressions really hit the nail on its head.

I bought the v1.2 hoping for a direct improvement to the sound signature of the v1.0 which I love but, oh well.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,922 of 2,514
I have the v1.0 and v1.2 too and I agree with your impressions. When I compared them I heard a slight difference but wasn't sure how to describe it, your impressions really hit the nail on its head.

I bought the v1.2 hoping for a direct improvement to the sound signature of the v1.0 which I love but, oh well.

If anyone's interested in the v1.2 in like-new condition, I have it up for sale in the Sale / Trade forum. Search for my thread in Source Components or just shoot me a PM. Thanks!

I lost my 1.0 in my recent move... like to get another one soon, but I've heard some rumors that I can't talk about that would make me think twice about a purchase any time soon... :evil:

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #1,923 of 2,514

I have both, as well, and think it might be time for an A/B comparison, which I never did when I purchased the new version.  I find it very difficult to A/B things that require a lot of switch-over time.  I can't say I am in love with the sound of my DF, but I use it at work where I am not really 'actively listening' to music.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #1,924 of 2,514
I have both, as well, and think it might be time for an A/B comparison, which I never did when I purchased the new version.  I find it very difficult to A/B things that require a lot of switch-over time.  I can't say I am in love with the sound of my DF, but I use it at work where I am not really 'actively listening' to music.

The dragonfly has always been too loud for me as an amp. I usually cannot go much further past a few notches before it's at ear bleeding levels for me. That said, I do listen to a much lower volume than most.

The strength of the DF is its dac capabilities. It has some pretty top notch performance for the dollar. I bought mine for just under $200 before the initial price cut even beforw AQ announced the 1.2 version. I don't have buyer's reporse since it absolutely out perforned my bifrost in every area...

I think with a bit of tweaking, the DF, could sound better as an amp, but they almost need to implement the volume/gain differently, imho, of course.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,925 of 2,514
I lost my 1.0 in my recent move... like to get another one soon, but I've heard some rumors that I can't talk about that would make me think twice about a purchase any time soon...
evil_smiley.gif

What rumors? Mind telling me about it 
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,927 of 2,514
The dragonfly has always been too loud for me as an amp. I usually cannot go much further past a few notches before it's at ear bleeding levels for me. That said, I do listen to a much lower volume than most.

The strength of the DF is its dac capabilities. It has some pretty top notch performance for the dollar. I bought mine for just under $200 before the initial price cut even beforw AQ announced the 1.2 version. I don't have buyer's reporse since it absolutely out perforned my bifrost in every area...

I think with a bit of tweaking, the DF, could sound better as an amp, but they almost need to implement the volume/gain differently, imho, of course.

Strange, the volume has always been just right for me. I could get the volume to 30/100 on the Windows volume slider even on my most sensitive IEMs, 60/100 for many of my full size cans, and 100 on my 300 ohm HD650. Perhaps the DF's volume/gain control works differently depending on the computer used, or I just listen too loud lol.

I absolutely agree though that it is top notch as a DAC. When paired with my E12DIY I am often amazed at how much resolution and transparency the DF brings. Surprised to read that the DF outperforms even the Bifrost, I've never heard the Bifrost but I always thought that it's supposed to be better than the DF because of its higher price point. Well, makes my purchase of the DF even more worth it I guess! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,928 of 2,514

The difference between them is so minute, I was hard pressed to tell them apart in the first 30 minutes of listening. I'd say the difference is 5% at most.

That being said, having spent considerable time with the 1.2 I could make out a few more differences:

- The mids on 1.2 are more natural, especially noticeable in the vocals. The vocals on 1.0 could sometimes sound a little honky and unnatural, but never on the 1.2
- The 1.2 has a slightly more refined treble.
- In terms of frequency balance, the 1.2 is definitely the more neutral of the two. Unlike the 1.0, the 1.2 has no mid bass bloat, the bass is more in line with the other frequencies and as a result sound more neutral. The bass doesn't grab attention on the 1.2 as the 1.0 sometimes do, but you can more easily hear bass texture and details on the 1.2, which is a plus.
- The overall sound presentation on the 1.2 is more relaxed compared the 1.0. While the 1.0 can sound like it's trying hard to push the music out, on the 1.2 music just flows and seems more at ease.

It seems that I am starting to like the 1.2 sound... Now I'm in a dilemma whether I should keep the 1.2... (I will have to let go of either one, can't keep both)

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,929 of 2,514
I like the DF a lot, but more as a DAC than an amp.  I really think that every one who uses this for better HP's (150+ ohm) adding even a low end amp (I've used a FiiO E11)  can really benefit from the added output.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,930 of 2,514
  I like the DF a lot, but more as a DAC than an amp.  I really think that every one who uses this for better HP's (150+ ohm) adding even a low end amp (I've used a FiiO E11)  can really benefit from the added output.

+1 ... my daily work rig is now exactly that combo: DF 1.2 + FiiO E11 and I think it sounds great.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #1,931 of 2,514
  The difference between them is so minute, I was hard pressed to tell them apart in the first 30 minutes of listening. I'd say the difference is 5% at most.
  It seems that I am starting to like the 1.2 sound... Now I'm in a dilemma whether I should keep the 1.2... (I will have to let go of either one, can't keep both)

Agreed, the differences are subtle but if you have excellent headphones (I have Grado's) then the differences are audible.

I swap the v1.0 and v1.2 and I like both although initially I liked the v1.0 and still do cause it punches like nothing else I have heard before.
However, the v1.0 is not as well supported as v1.2
The v1.2 I can run on my LG G2 with OTG cable and usb audio plus app. I have found though that the google music app is as good as the dragonfly around about 1-2% less but liveable as the drain of the usb on the phone is obvious. The v1.0 does not work in this config.

Also, the v1.0 you cannot select 88.2, 48, 44.1 on wasapi whilst with v1.2 you can select these outputs but on my comparisons I am always using 24/96Khz output and this sounds the best from this amazing little async usb. The color of magenta is better on the v1.0 whereas on the v1.2 its washed out in colors too.

Will keep them both but what's this secrecy of a new version appearing?

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #1,933 of 2,514
Correct to above ^^ check color of dragonfly :)

I have started to enjoy the v1.2 more now than the v1.0
There seems to be a lot more natural tone in the mid-range compared with the v1.0

Also the v1.2 changed after 50hrs burn in and the tone became more natural and bass was distanced well from the mid-range.
The v1.0 still has more bottom end analog sounding but each version is different in their own way.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #1,934 of 2,514
Does anyone use the 1.2 for movies from a laptop.  If so, are you using Razer, Out of your Head or some other software to generated simulated surround from streaming movies?

I get mine on Monday.  I was told I cant run Razer surround and the 1.2 at the same time.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #1,935 of 2,514
I just got dragonfly 1.2 to use with my laptop. And today I heard distortion when playing song that have high freq sound no matter how high or low the windows main volume is. But the distortion completely gone when I lower the application volume slider (WMP, Foobar2000) ,which actually control the individual application volume in windows mixer. Also try wasapi and asio4all in foobar2000 and the distortion is still there.
I used windows 8.1 64bit with latest update.

Please Help! THANK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back