AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Oct 5, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,936 of 2,514
been away a while, but i recently got myself a df 1.2. im trying to make it work with wasapi in fb2000 but is seems like it will not go to 16 bit? so will the df not work in wasapi mode with 16bit files ?

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,937 of 2,514
I actually have a situation with the DF 1.2 and MplayerX that I am not sure if it's normal. So when playing video files off MplayerX on my mac, most of the time, the DF makes it sound distorted. This includes anime, music videos, movies, etc.  When I play the video off the mac headphone port, theres no distortion at all. I originally had a DF 1.0 which did the same exact thing, and so I returned that and was able to get DF 1.2 which did that too. When playing music off iTunes though, it was okay. The issue itself probably lies with MplayerX actually, but have you guys ever experienced that? I couldn't find out why MplayerX did that with DF1.2, and I even made sure my MplayerX was updated. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,938 of 2,514
Can you tell more about what kind of distortion it is?

If it is digital it may be because mplayerX is sending data with different sample rate than your Dragonfly is set to.

Open "Audio Midi Setup" it is in /Applications/Utilities
Choose DragonFly from the side panel and play with Format setting. Movies are usually in '48000.0 Hz'. Another possibility is that mplayerX is feeding Dragonfly with undecoded stream which Dragonfly is not able to decode. I don't know maplayerX enough to suggest settings (I used to use it long time ago under Linux).

As an alternative, try VLC player and Apple's own QuickTime.

Good luck!

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,939 of 2,514
Never had distortion with mine(V1 and v1.2) but then again I am not using mac and never have.
I would recommend what stefu suggested.

Good luck.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,940 of 2,514
been away a while, but i recently got myself a df 1.2. im trying to make it work with wasapi in fb2000 but is seems like it will not go to 16 bit? so will the df not work in wasapi mode with 16bit files ?

Correct. The DF is rated only as 24-bit depth. You either manually need to change it to 24 or skip WASAPI.

Another course is to download asio4all. It works greay with foobar and I noticed a slight improvement in sound...

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #1,941 of 2,514
Correct. The DF is rated only as 24-bit depth. You either manually need to change it to 24 or skip WASAPI.

Another course is to download asio4all. It works greay with foobar and I noticed a slight improvement in sound...

so dragonfly upscales 16 to 24 bit? wont there be some kind of sound degradation doing this? maybe the reason why asia4all sounds better for you. but afaik, many more people prefer wasapi over asia sq, but like i said , ive been away for awhile so my knowledge isnt exactly mint.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #1,942 of 2,514
so dragonfly upscales 16 to 24 bit? wont there be some kind of sound degradation doing this? maybe the reason why asia4all sounds better for you. but afaik, many more people prefer wasapi over asia sq, but like i said , ive been away for awhile so my knowledge isnt exactly mint.

No. All you are doIng is padding the least significant bits with zeros from 16 to 24. Absolutely no change in sound.

Btw, many DACs have a similar requirement and the padding is done outside of the DF.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #1,943 of 2,514
  When I put the system's volume at 0 - I can still hear music!
Lowering volume to 0 in Foobar2000 really mutes the sound.

And when I play with balance, the left channel controls nothing, but the right channel controls sound on both sides.

Is this normal for DF v1.2?

My DF v1.2 behaves the same (tested on Win8.1).
Can anyone here test if the Left/Right balance works separately? just to confirm that my DF is not from a bad batch.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,948 of 2,514
I got a dragonfly 1.2 and when I stop or pause the sound it misses the first few seconds of the audio when restarting a song or video. It almost acts as if it was asleep. It is lit up and getting power and my other USB sound cards don't do that when I use them on the same PC and ports. Any suggestions?

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,949 of 2,514
i bought this dac for work with my amperiors. Really quality sound I was very surprised. Definitely quite a bit better than my E17. I'll also be using it at home now with the LCDs until I get a better desktop rig for them. But very satisfied with this purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back