Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Mar 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #436 of 906
Roller, well I didn't look at prices initially when I was searching for great bass phones, which is why there is such a large range in headphones.  To be honest the whole thing started cause I saw Audio-Technica's ATH-CKM50 in ear on sale.  I've been rocking Sony's MDR-EX70,71,75,76's since the late 90's and swear I was one of the first to wear in ear phones :)  Anyways I recently got some Sennheiser CX-475's with Massive Bass advertised right on the packaging!  I don't think there too amazing in the bass department, and I honestly prefer the sound of my MDR-EX75's which have more bass.  The CX-475's sound really good and a lot of ppl would probably prefer them.

I digress...so some how I was looking into those ear buds on sale, then read something talking about the the amazing bass of the ATH-PRO700MK2. One thing lead to another and I realized I listen to a lot of music, trace/techno is my favorite and I love bass and wanted some new headphones...  So yeah, budget is under $200.

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #437 of 906

Quote:
Roller, well I didn't look at prices initially when I was searching for great bass phones, which is why there is such a large range in headphones.  To be honest the whole thing started cause I saw Audio-Technica's ATH-CKM50 in ear on sale.  I've been rocking Sony's MDR-EX70,71,75,76's since the late 90's and swear I was one of the first to wear in ear phones :)  Anyways I recently got some Sennheiser CX-475's with Massive Bass advertised right on the packaging!  I don't think there too amazing in the bass department, and I honestly prefer the sound of my MDR-EX75's which have more bass.  The CX-475's sound really good and a lot of ppl would probably prefer them.

I digress...so some how I was looking into those ear buds on sale, then read something talking about the the amazing bass of the ATH-PRO700MK2. One thing lead to another and I realized I listen to a lot of music, trace/techno is my favorite and I love bass and wanted some new headphones...  So yeah, budget is under $200.

So you've been mostly an IEM man :)

If electronica is your main listening genre, then it makes sense to go with a bass emphasized pair, but remember that bass shouldn't come at the expense of the rest of the spectrum. Aside from the review of the OP, there have been other reports on the ATH-PRO700MK2 being too dark and smearing the whole FR just to have heightened bass. And then you have the whole thing of bass quantity being different than bass quality.

Overall, you end having different bass emphasized headphones at different price points. I think from your list, the ones you should consider would be: Sony MDR-XB500, Ultrasone HFI-580 and Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2. Keep in mind that the ATH-PRO700MK2 pads are rather shallow and your ear lobe is bound to touch the metal cover, which during long listening sessions gets uncomfortable to say the least.

Why not starting up with the XB500, a relatively loved bass set and further down the line upgrade? Also, you haven't mentioned how you will be driving your headphones, through a computer (onboard audiochip/soundcard/DAC), PMP, optical disc player, etc, and if you're using an amp or not.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #438 of 906
The PRO700MK2s and PRO700MK2ANVs are pure breed DJ headphones so they are likely to be dark sounding since DJs like us need headphones that aren't fatiguing when playing them loud in a noisy environment.

Having both headphones, there's really not much difference between them. As I mentioned before the ANVs had the same sound signature with the regular ones except that the bass seems more tighter, could be the reinforced aluminum in the cups, but I couldn't really tell unless I hear another ANV to make sure that they both sounded the same.

If you want a bassy headphone that is not dark sounding, then consider yourself buying a headphone that aren't designed for DJs. ie. Sony's XB series, they lean more into the consumer-class sound. But, true DJ headphones PRO700MK2s, Aiaiai, they do sound dark as a requirement for DJs.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #439 of 906
Thanks Roller and alvincapalad,

Yeah, the XB500's have a pretty sweet price point.  I've always loved Sony too.  I've got a buddy who has a pair of Ultrasone Pro 550's I think.  He likes them and said they've been quite durable.  Does anyone know where you can try any of these Sony MDR-XB500, Ultrasone HFI-580 and Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 out?

I'll prolly be using things like my Samsung Galazy S2, iPod Touch 4th Gen, Laptop, Yamaha RX-V3300 receiver and Logitech Z-5500's to run them.  I'd think I'd most often be using portable devices and have thought about getting a FiiO E11 device...Other recommendations/suggestions are also welcome.

Okay, What exactly is a DARK SOUND, hope its not like the brown note :)  I don't DJ but as I've previously said, headphones like the sweet Sennheiser HD-580's and even the CX-475's were way to bright as I'd describe it.  The high frequencies were too much, even at low volumes.  I've never had problems with low deep sweet bass being to loud or making me feel uncomfortable.  So maybe I need a dark sound?

Another pair of headphones I got fairly recently were these Aerial7 Chopper2's.  For $20, I was amazed how good they sound, the worst part about them is the slight imbalance from left and right.  Has anybody heard these vs the other 3 mentioned at the top?  I'd think they'd dominate the Chopper2's but I heard of crazier things for sure.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #440 of 906
Dark sounding is a warm, mellow, rich reproduced sound. The overall balance tilts downward when the frequency is increased. Weak high frequency. It is the opposite of bright headphones. Headphones with high sonic sounds which hurts your ear.

So when we DJ at the clubs with headphones at high volume we need dark sounding headphones so we can concentrate more on the beats per minute (the hit of the drum/bass), if we listen to headphones that are bright then it will hurt our ear for long hours.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #441 of 906

Thank you for your opinions!
I wanted to get a headphone for portable use as I wander around on the streets. The two that interested me were A100 and ANV. Wonder which one would be more suitable.
Quote:
The PRO700MK2s and PRO700MK2ANVs are pure breed DJ headphones so they are likely to be dark sounding since DJs like us need headphones that aren't fatiguing when playing them loud in a noisy environment.

Having both headphones, there's really not much difference between them. As I mentioned before the ANVs had the same sound signature with the regular ones except that the bass seems more tighter, could be the reinforced aluminum in the cups, but I couldn't really tell unless I hear another ANV to make sure that they both sounded the same.

If you want a bassy headphone that is not dark sounding, then consider yourself buying a headphone that aren't designed for DJs. ie. Sony's XB series, they lean more into the consumer-class sound. But, true DJ headphones PRO700MK2s, Aiaiai, they do sound dark as a requirement for DJs.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #442 of 906
both are humongous in my opinion, although the pro700mk2s looks a bit smaller when they are worn, when you hang them on your neck it feels larger than the m50s, heavier too. if you like a dark sounding headphone that are good as portables, then you might look into the aiaiai tma-1s. but, i will warn you that the aiaiai are pure dj headphones, they will sound good for electronica, house, dance music, but not very good on other genre. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #443 of 906
I see...I should find the lightest one among them...
I don't really mind what sound signature are on them as long as the bass doesn't overwhelm the mids. 
Also I want an over-ear portable headphone, on ears are quite uncomfortable for me

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #444 of 906
Well, I get the feeling that I'm a fan of the Dark Sound...  I'd love to try these in person, but if that's not possible, I'm probably ordering the PRO700MK2's sometime tomorrow.  I like the buttery biscuit bass!

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #448 of 906

I'm going to get these or the m50's i listen to mostly rock which one is better.( I like my rock with  a little more thump than normal)

The PRO700MK2s are bad for rock, it was designed for club music, dark sounding headphones are not good for rock. The M50s are better since they are neutral. Best headphones for rock are grados, you need forward sounding headphones for that.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #449 of 906

Quote:
I wonder if anyone can compare the ANV with the MKII?

Quote:

The sound seems more solid on the PRO700MK2ANV than the regular MK2s, might be something with the aluminum reinforcement in the cups cancelling vibrations, or just be my ears tingling a bit with all those bass.

Those were my exact thoughts when I compared the two. I have the ANV version myself but auditioned both before purchasing. The sound is more solid, there is less plasticky reverberation from the driver housings, and I thought overall bass was tighter. It is hard to tell if the changes are due to their different drivers, or the aluminium on the housing.

Quote:

Bohnster, I hate to throw you off in another direction here since the Pro700Mk2 is pretty bassy - but since you like IEM's can I really, really suggest that you have a look at the Atrio M5 with MG7 driver? The bass on the Atrio's is intense, and actually is even more deep and punchy than the Pro700Mk2 while being clearer overall. I like both but if I had to rank purely on bass it would be the Atrio's.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #450 of 906
Oh how badly I want some ATH-PRO700MK2ANV but man, I can't seem to find anyone local to me that has them. And I can hardly even find them online for a decent price.

If anyone wants to get rid of theirs, let me know. I'm in SoCal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back