Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
May 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 906

GN3RAL KARL

100+ Head-Fier

Just look at that beast
very_evil_smiley.gif

The first things that stood out superior right out the box compared to the M50 - detachable cables (any standard 3.5mm cables will fit into the slot, awesome), sensitivity of 106db versus M50's 99db (got my headroom much quicker, love it), and the fact that it has tons of deep bass, which I'm sure will come out full titanic force after burn-in.  Interestingly, it is a touch heavier than the M50, but smaller in overall size.  It also feels sturdier and higher quality too.  The headband, though smaller in size (no doubt it's clampy - I stretched it like Yoga), feels beefier and the adjustments to it feel even more solid compared to the M50.  Initial results were overwhelmingly positive.  Sound characteristics after a 50 hour burn-in below, but here is some Mike & Ike's eye-candy
cool.gif

Durability is fantastic.  It is definitely tighter in the headband compared to the M50, these will need some more serious stretching.  The cups swivel and rotate in the same fashion as the M50's.  The cups are round and a little smaller in overall size compared to the M50's more oval shape.  Headphone padding is not as thick as the M50's as well.

The treble sounds somewhat identical to the M50's, quick, defined and crisp like deep-fried potato wedges.  However, it doesn't match the sparkle that the M50's have in the mids and the highs.  What I mean is that the phones are "darker" in the mids and highs, where music will sometimes sound a little stale up there.  In addition, there is a slight metallic-like edgy sound added to the mids and the lower trebles, so this might offend some, but didn't bother me much.  It is also a little less prominent on the lower trebs (like the M50) and so I boosted the 8K range a little bit.  Yet, there is a touch more detail up there compared to the M50's.  Probably due to the extended treble frequency, but the highs are nonetheless decent and will bring justice to any genre.

The midrange is nicely appointed.  Smooth, with great imaging and detail.  There is more black between the notes compared to the M50's, which gives off an even greater imaging effect.  However I gave the 4K range a little boost as well to give it more fullness.  The upper mids are a little recessed as well just like the M50's.  At high volumes, the sound in the mids seem to blare a little with the stock MK2 pads.  Switch them out with the M50's and the blare is gone.  In fact, it sounds better overall with no cons with the M50 pads vs. the MK2 pads.  Swap them immediately, even though the M50 pads aren't a stable fit (they can rotate on the cup) they are secure enough that they don't pop off unless intentionally.  Since it is designed for DJ's, I do understand the need for having the driver close to the eardrum with the shallow MK2 pads, so this is not necessarily a con that the stock pads feel and sound this way.

The bass.  Man.  Bowel-hitting.  The bass has robbed the bank and dropped some change for me as well!  Incredible presence is jiggling the cups on my dome.  It is fantastically deep and has authority like a disturbed rhino.  The bass is ridiculously satisfying and hits like a shot of Bacardi 151.  Seriously, if you love bass, your plate is full - and that includes dessert.  It doesn't distort at high volumes either and amazingly doesn't stomp the daylights out the mids and highs.  From top to bottom, these are full and engaging.  Yup, fresh out the pen and sittin' on monster swoll, these have more low note crunch than any headphone that I've owned (case in point : D2000, M50, DT990).  If you don't like bass, steer clear of the LZ!

Soundstage is surprisingly larger than the M50's as well.  It is larger in width, but not much more in height.  In addition, it sounds more 3D, like the A700.  This may be because of the 53mm drivers on these beasts compared to the M50's 45mm.  It does very well when it comes to games, but movie soundtracks - man, that's where the party's at.  These are downright fantastic for movies (with M50 pads).  The soundstage feels larger than the cups themselves and seems to come from outside, and from all angles like a geometry test.  It can handle the entire dynamic range of all films (especially Blu-Ray) with aplomb and will leave the listener grinning from ear to ear.

Detail retrieval is fantastic as well.  Same line as the M50's.  Instruments like the piano and drums sound very natural.  Singers and voices come through very clear and fresh-sounding.

Isolation is great, far better than the M50's.  Leakage is also greatly controlled, even at high volumes, the sound level is minor to those who are nearby.  This is also superior to the M50's and the best that I've seen yet from an over-ear closed-back.
These are certainly one of my favorite cans!  If you want clear sound with elephant-crushing bass combined with that crisp Audio Technica sound sig, pick these up!

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 = 20lbs. steak, beef, and bass on your plate.

Max sound level before distorting - 118db

*COMFORT UPDATES*
The M50 pads do fit!!!  They also offer far superior comfort!  With a little stretching, the MK2's are just as comfortable as the stock M50's.  The midrange blare mentioned earlier as well disappeared due to there being more cushioning in the M50 pads vs. the MK2 pads.  Don't mean to be blunt, but the MK2 pads suck!  Here are some photos...

Here are some comparison shots between the circular MK2's pads vs. oval M50 pads...

The sound, once again with the M50 pads is superior!  Midrange is a touch smoother, soundstage is virtually the same but is a little more focused.  The bass hits the sweet spot!  Man I love this headphone!
dt880smile.png

* Just cuz I'm daring, I also decided to see how the sound and comfort would be with the Beyer velours.  I yanked them off my DT990 32ohm and semi-attached them to the cups of the MK2.  The lip to wrap around the cups is a touch larger in diameter.  You can get them on, but they won't be secure and would easily slip off.  You can however easily remedy this by attaching tape, velcro, or whatever you want.  Bottom line is that you can have velours if you want, but you will need some sort of adhesive.  The MK2's are so versatile, I honestly believe whatever material or headphone padding you want can be applied.

Here are some shots of the "half" attached velours...

The comfort with the velours reminded me of my long gone DT770 Pro 80ohm.  Same amount of pressure and feel, yet still very comfortable with these pads.  The sound, was interesting...  I found that it made it brighter in the highs a little, and mids had a little less body, but the real kicker was the bass.  She disappeared!  About 35% of the impact went completely out the window.  Some may favor this trait though if they want the comfort of the velours but the sound character will change dramatically.  For better or worse depends on you.  I personally don't like it.
atsmile.gif

9/17/11 UPDATE - Beyerdynamic DT250 pads

First of all, the velours sound great.  The sound has very minor effects.  It is similar to the sound changes the M50's add but the velours tightens up the bass a bit, mids remain the same, and the highs are a touch brighter.  With all this said, without a doubt, if you want the comfort of the velours with a far less chance of sweat building up without messing with the characteristics of the MK2's, then these are THE pads.

May 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 906

Quote:
How do the ear pads feel.  Are they interchangeable with the m50's?  Can you add the Shure 840 replacement pads onto these?

The ear pads feel great.  They are the same pleather material as the M50's, yet are about 1/3rd slimmer.  I've also noticed that there isn't much clearance between the driver and your ear.  Mine certainly touched the driver, but after an hour of wearing them, I felt no discomfort even though I wear glasses (which is strange, however the M50's for me could go 3hrs before pain kicks in).  I'm quite sure that I would feel pain after about two hours.  I plan to mod these by adding some softskin Beyer pads on top of the stock and using clear Scotch tape to secure them in place.  In addition, the M50 pads are oval compared to the completely circular MK2's.  So they aren't exactly interchangeable, however, it seems you could actually stretch the M50 pads over the MK2's.  I have no clue about the Shure 840 pads, I wish I could help there.

Update - see above!

May 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 906
Wow, finally a serious review of these. Quick question; is the bass uber-forward, like, say, the Beats(Maybe a bad comparison, but they're definitely the most bass-forward headphones I know of)? I do like my bass, and the M50's supplied it well, IMO, but the non-forwardness(after some modding) was wonderful. I just don't want it to completely over-power the rest of the song(like the Beats, once more). Is it quality bass or over-powering bass?

May 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 906

Quote:
Nice to hear about this :) I'm set on getting them now!

Sweet!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm still burning these puppies in, I've had a long week at work.  Next week (probably Thursday) I will have a full report on these babies and will duplicate this review on Amazon to give buyers there insight too.  I've just noticed that they feel a smidge higher quality than the M50, the texture of the cups and the headband in particular, everything feels a bit more tighter.  Like going from a Toyota to a Lexus, still high quality but more attention to detail.

May 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 906
The pads seem to be the same height as the regular PRO700, so they probably won't be comfortable enough for some people. Some extra cushioning would work wonders.

Also, they've learned from the official modded versions of the previous version and they've reinforced the headband with metal, along with the so useful detacheable cable. Now if they only dropped the price to the M50's price...
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 906

Quote:
Wow, finally a serious review of these. Quick question; is the bass uber-forward, like, say, the Beats(Maybe a bad comparison, but they're definitely the most bass-forward headphones I know of)? I do like my bass, and the M50's supplied it well, IMO, but the non-forwardness(after some modding) was wonderful. I just don't want it to completely over-power the rest of the song(like the Beats, once more). Is it quality bass or over-powering bass?

The bass isn't as forward as the Beats, but similar impact.  The quality of the MK2's is a step-up from the Beats.  The Beats are still great for music, but the sound is less accurate but still fun.  The MK2's are fun too but sound more natural.  I do know what you mean about the Beats covering up parts of the audio spectrum, the MK2's don't do that at all.  The low notes are incredibly controlled, yet it doesn't seem to murder the mids or the highs at all - however just a touch of EQ can dial in a sound you prefer.  They're very well responding to some tweaking.  The incredible thing about these MK2's is that it still sounds balanced even with the quantity being up there.  If you heard the M50's, it's surprisingly similar to those but with more impact right out the gate.

I currently have about 2hrs. on them (sorry about that, will have them burned in next week), but considering that every Audio Technica headphone that I've owned changes it's character after burn-in, I will wait until these puppies are fully cooked.  I will have impressions from a JDS Labs Cmoy v2.2 connected to a T-Mobile G2 (android) with Poweramp as my software.  I will continue to answer any questions though
atsmile.gif

May 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 906

Quote:
The pads seem to be the same height as the regular PRO700, so they probably won't be comfortable enough for some people. Some extra cushioning would work wonders.

Also, they've learned from the official modded versions of the previous version and they've reinforced the headband with metal, along with the so useful detacheable cable. Now if they only dropped the price to the M50's price...
rolleyes.gif

I've never had the PRO700, but from photos it does look like the same height and size - it might even be the same cushions.  You are correct that they won't be comfortable for some, some have reported that they hurt while they wear them.  I did stretch these over the box they came in for 24hrs., significantly increased comfort - yet it is still generally tight fitting.  You can headbang the daylights out this can though!  They don't budge off the dome.

I do plan on purchasing some Beyer "softskins" just like my modded M50's and attach those to these for uber-comfort.  I would've had the pads when I received these cans, but had to cancel my debit card (necessary for Beyerdynamic) due to the PSN hack.  Well, patience is virtue...

I just love the way these look compared to the M50's.  Photos don't do it justice. Side-by-side, the MK2's look sweeter.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 906
Ugh. I wish they had kept selling the white ones. The things I would do to get my hands on a pair of them....

May 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 906
Why on earth are the M50's recommended more than these?

These sound awesome! Great job on your review and also the pictures. I'm very glad you compared them directly to the M50, so we all know just how well they compete. I also liked the fact you posted pictures of the pads side by side, and also how the M50's pads fit on these. From what I'm reading and what I remember from my old M50, I may just have to snatch up a pair of these. I've been having pangs to buy a closed headphone (most likely the M50 again), but after this review I would probably get this instead. Detachable cable is a bonus as well, especially the shortened length!

How is isolation and leakage compared to the M50? I really want a closed headphone that leaks very little sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back