Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Feb 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #406 of 906

Quote:
I personally wouldn't have a clue to see if they're genuine, maybe just the general look and feel, but at least you're happy with them!
I also might have to eat my words on getting the 500MK2's fellas.  I apologize, I just got the Monoprice 8320's and they are comfortable, durable, and sound great!  I'm putting some cookin' time on them now to see if they become even more dynamic and better at instrument separation.  These might be my portable phones for good, which leaves me plenty of funds leftover for something upper-end for home.

9 bucks with shipping for the 8320's - I'm getting a back-up pair. 

Good to hear bro. Give them some proper burn and try amping and eqing them to you sound preference you are gonna be even more surprised. Joker just added them to his list of iems for review. Top iem in the price range but I thought it deserved a solid 8. But that is just me. lol!!. I own 3 pairs of these just in case. I still have my modded and worn out first pair but they still sound awesome. There are some guys trying to recable them on the thread.  Should be interesting.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #408 of 906
One thing i will be buying a better DAC soon! And now looking for more headphones for other types of music haha! I can notice with the m50 pads that the mids are subdued a little but I haven't really had a proper listen yet! But still sounds fantastic for dub/dnb etc Should i burnin these new 700mk2? Being a newbie what is the best way?

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #409 of 906
Do you think the Pro700MK2 is more preferable to the Beats Pro?

Before you mention the outrageous price tag of the Beats Pro, my friend is willing to sell me his barely used Beats Pro for $200.  I could either get those or the Pro700mk2, which is roughly 150-200.  Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know how the original Pro700 sounds compared to the Pro700mk2?
blink.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #410 of 906

I really can't believe what I've been missing here without these cans. My current kit is a Cowon S9 with a Fiio E11 Amp and Monster Cable with these. I used to own a pair of the MDR-XB 500's and I even brought my setup over to Best Buy to do a comparison. I will say the 500's at first seem to have more "oomph".

However I have yet to let these fully burn in seeing as I just got them today! What I noticed is the 500's have recessed mids, and highs. Sure they punch but it just turns into mediocre once you slap these puppies on your head. The soundstage is much wider the sound clean and the bass oh it's there alright.

If you think your missing the punch you desire I beg to differ. With the E11 I own cranked these things rattle just as much as the 500's. My suggestion is to get these suckers Amp'd with your setup and bring out the EQ with these. Don't be afraid.

I love my music colored a certain way and these certainly deliver the goods. I dunno why people complain about the pads or the snug fit it fits me just fine.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #411 of 906
I bent my Pro700mk2s into shape. The stock clamping force had both pads touching each other, after a few wrestling matches, they looked like this. And, they are comfortable. Better than my stock M50s.

Although they don't fold-up securely anymore. Comfort is my priority over aesthetics. With the stock pads, the bass is monstrous than replacing them with M50 pads that are loose and leaks out tunes as they aren't designed for them in the first place.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #412 of 906

Quote:
I bent my Pro700mk2s into shape. The stock clamping force had both pads touching each other, after a few wrestling matches, they looked like this. And, they are comfortable. Better than my stock M50s.

Although they don't fold-up securely anymore. Comfort is my priority over aesthetics. With the stock pads, the bass is monstrous than replacing them with M50 pads that are loose and leaks out tunes as they aren't designed for them in the first place.

blink.gif
wow, those are some serious stretching ... how did you do it though? nice photo shot btw..

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #413 of 906

Quote:
wow, those are some serious stretching ... how did you do it though? nice photo shot btw..

divide the headband into 3 sections (top, outmost left, outmost right), then bend them all by 200 degree angle, It won't break, I've emailed Audio-Technica and they confirmed that it has an aluminum frame. They also gave me this link:
http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/support/questions/question.asp?id=219

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #415 of 906
So a lot of people have been saying these lack punch... Does anybody who has these care to comment on the statements validity?
I want to feel the bass so is this still the headphone to go to for bass or not?

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #416 of 906
Yes, 200 degrees more than a straight line. Bending them straight does nothing to them at all. Try the center first and see if you are comfortable enough with them, keep adjusting till they make a good fit but not losing the seal.

Lacking punch when you replace them with m50 pads since they would leak out. With the stock pads, they have a very good punch. But its bass is more designed for electronic club music, since Audio Technica designed this for DJs not for casual listening. M50 bass is better for wider range of music.

I have an xb500 and i can say that the pro700mk2s have more punch than them. Xb500s are reviewed better than xb700s for their tight bass.

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #417 of 906

Quote:
Yes, 200 degrees more than a straight line. Bending them straight does nothing to them at all. Try the center first and see if you are comfortable enough with them, keep adjusting till they make a good fit but not losing the seal.
Lacking punch when you replace them with m50 pads since they would leak out. With the stock pads, they have a very good punch. But its bass is more designed for electronic club music, since Audio Technica designed this for DJs not for casual listening. M50 bass is better for wider range of music.
I have an xb500 and i can say that the pro700mk2s have more punch than them. Xb500s are reviewed better than xb700s for their tight bass.

thanks man, this was the last push i needed, getting one this saturday... i was looking at the xb series and the m50, but the pro looks way "cooler" lol.. i nid the detachable cable, and something that satisfies my bass lust... auditioned for akg 518'le', ath sj55, m50, m50'le', senn 205, 215 even the superlux 651, 661 all was a no go... i didnt audition for the pro700mk2 though, hope it fits my taste hehe, my razer electra will keep me company till then :)

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #418 of 906

So with M50/Beyer pads a lot of the impact is lost?

Quote:

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #419 of 906

So with M50/Beyer pads a lot of the impact is lost?

Yes it loses its impact, since it leaks out at the top and the bottom--not a perfect fit. The stock pad is a polarizing material--it was engineered to do that, so I'd rather use a generic 90mm pads than elongated pads that won't give you a perfect seal. With the serious stretching I made, I could even sleep with them now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back