Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Jun 12, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #91 of 906
More details please 
popcorn.gif

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #92 of 906

Quote:
More details please 
popcorn.gif

Maybe I bit off more than I can chew.
k701smile.gif
  Actually, Headphonia's Mike did a closed can shootout on that website.  I found it a great read and is definitely more in depth that I could ever accomplish.  I've been so happy with my setup on my cans that I'm actually going to sit out on the comparo.  I apologize, I jumped the gun on that one.

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #93 of 906
Thanks all who reviewed and commented on this topic. I too love the impact and dynamics of bass but sadly am looking to sell my LCD2 because they are not office friendly. I realize now, I have to have closed back cans to enjoy the sound levels I like in a quiet office environment. I was wondering though, what kind of amp make these cans sound the fullest, richest, and most dynamic? has anyone explored the choices yet.
Currently I have a Violectric V181 for the LCD2 and this amp drives them really well. I had sold my Woo WA6SE to get the V181 and I can say that I enjoy the V181 with the LCD2 much more.

I would like to keep the V181 but am open to trying other amps if rec commended by others. I am interested in the Schitt amps and have been looking for excuse to try one of their amps, but now if all things are the same. Anyway, any input on amp choice would be appreciated.
PS - I just placed order on Amazon for a pair of these and paid $165 w/Tax and Shipping. I should get them by the 16th and will do a little write up with my current setup and compare against the LCD2.

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #94 of 906

Quote:
The bass.  Man.  Bowel-hitting.  The bass has robbed the bank and dropped some change for me as well!  Incredible presence is jiggling the cups on my dome.  It is fantastically deep and has authority like a disturbed rhino.  The bass is ridiculously satisfying and hits like a shot of Bacardi 151.  Seriously, if you love bass, your plate is full - and that includes dessert.  It doesn't distort at high volumes either and amazingly doesn't stomp the daylights out the mids and highs.  From top to bottom, these are full and engaging.  Yup, fresh out the pen and sittin' on monster swoll, these have more low note crunch than any headphone that I've owned (case in point : D2000, M50, DT990).  If you don't like bass, steer clear of the LZ!

Most colorful paragraph I've read in a headphone review, LOL 
popcorn.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #95 of 906

Quote:
Thanks all who reviewed and commented on this topic. I too love the impact and dynamics of bass but sadly am looking to sell my LCD2 because they are not office friendly. I realize now, I have to have closed back cans to enjoy the sound levels I like in a quiet office environment. I was wondering though, what kind of amp make these cans sound the fullest, richest, and most dynamic? has anyone explored the choices yet.
Currently I have a Violectric V181 for the LCD2 and this amp drives them really well. I had sold my Woo WA6SE to get the V181 and I can say that I enjoy the V181 with the LCD2 much more.

I would like to keep the V181 but am open to trying other amps if rec commended by others. I am interested in the Schitt amps and have been looking for excuse to try one of their amps, but now if all things are the same. Anyway, any input on amp choice would be appreciated.
PS - I just placed order on Amazon for a pair of these and paid $165 w/Tax and Shipping. I should get them by the 16th and will do a little write up with my current setup and compare against the LCD2.

Even though I've only connected the MK2's to a JDS Labs Cmoy and a Behringer HA400, I must say that the Fiio E9 seems to be a great match due to it outputting 1W of power into 16ohms.  That's massive, and the MK2's can still take 3.5 times as much.  I might get the E9 later...

Otherwise, your setup should power these effectively.  Looking forward to your impressions too.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #96 of 906

Quote:
Even though I've only connected the MK2's to a JDS Labs Cmoy and a Behringer HA400, I must say that the Fiio E9 seems to be a great match due to it outputting 1W of power into 16ohms.  That's massive, and the MK2's can still take 3.5 times as much.  I might get the E9 later...

what?
the MK2s can handle 3500 mW?  wow
thats uhh... a ton isnt it?
how does that effect sensitivity?

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #97 of 906

Quote:
what?
the MK2s can handle 3500 mW?  wow
thats uhh... a ton isnt it?
how does that effect sensitivity?

Yup, it's a beast :)
Sensitivity just means that it would reach a certain sound level when given a specific amount of power/current.  The power handling just means that the entire mechanical assembly of the MK2's can sustain enormous amounts of electricity.  Pro DJ's have access to amps that can easily blow the drivers off the majority of headphones, so they need headphones that can withstand tons of energy in combination with extremely high volumes.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #100 of 906
Hmm I hate to say it guys but I am returning these. Even with other pads. I can't stand the sheer amount of CLAMPING force these have the most of any CANs I own. ..And compared to my Ultrasone HFi-780s these sound dull in comparison..They are perhaps the most uncomfortable CANS I have ever put on my head.. The sheer clamping force was a deal breaker and I have a normal sized head to boot... Unfortunately I got my HFI 780s a day after I got the MK2s.. I was in Trance EUPHORIA with the HFI-780s.

Then when I tried the MK2s. I had a hard time hearing the more intricate notes on the same tune. Conjested as the boomy bass just overtakes everything. I feel like I am hearing everything with a head cold on these. Trance needs highs as much as the lows and while the MK2s provides ample LOWs the highs and the mids are just not there .  JUST the beats. As much as these are praised on the scene for being the new BASS big boys. I can't stand em even after 4 days of blaring music though em.. I love BASS as much as any Bass head but not this type of BASS. I find the BASS on my kickers to be more entertaining . The Bass is BIG for the sake of being BIG but not even close to the quality I was looking for. 

I know this community have no mention of the Kicker Hp541s or DOGs on em for whatever the reason may be,  But I did a head to head sound comparison from the MK2s to the Kickers.. The kickers don't have the BIG BLOWN BASS the MK2s has but they sound better to me in every way compared to the MK2s.. The kickers have good definition and very strong highs n mids as well as having ample fully defined BASS. .As much as I wanted to like the MK2s.. They get a thumbs down from me. Ya I actually prefer the kickers over the MK2s.. You guys can think I am a noob or whatever that might come to mind as this is counter intuitive over and AUDIO TECHNICA PRO700MK2 however.. I cant recommend them to anyone to be honest.. The kickers cost a 1/3rd of the price to these MK2s but they sounds awesome compared to these MK2s . My 2 cents.. The overall sound on the MK2 is muffled because of the BOOMY BASS it is like the highs and the mids only float on the bottom end... Infact I will go as far as to say the Kickers while having a completely different sound signature vs the Ultrasone HFI-780.. They are just as defined in the sound department and just as entertaining..  I just hope Amazon gives me full refund Back for these phones..To put it simply for the bucks. .You can definately do better. I plan on getting the Hfi-580 for the money once I get a refund. I suggest to everyone they do the same or anything else vs these.

I think out of all my CANs all 21 of em  I own these are the most disappointing.. I appreciate your colorful review of these there Gereal Karl but you are wrong on these. They just aren't that good.Infact i will plainly say it.. THEY SUCK!! Even for BASS HEADS. The kickers should be the cost of these and the MK2s should be the cost of the kickers.. For the guys that bought em and liked em good for you guys. For me they are absolutely the worst I have heard in higher/ mid fi cans. I can't even recommend em to BASS heads..The quality is just not there. They sound terribad seriously. No wonder there is only one review on the amazon on em. General Karls.. Thanks but no thanks. I am just telling it like it is.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #102 of 906
    I do apologize to the community if I sound abrasive in my assessment of the PRO700Mk2s.. Especially to General Karl.. I do find your reviews very entertaining.
I will admit it was your review and mike @ headpfoina that caught my attention on these.. They just didn't sound good to me at all.. I suppose that is just my opinion on em.. I am glad that you found your Holy Grail of BASS phones. They do have copious amounts of it..However I will say if you are interested in these the Vice like grips do make you see the negatives right off the bat which doesn't bode well for someone that spent some good hard earned cash on em.. They are returned no harm no foul..

Happy listening. !

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #103 of 906
Well this hobby is so subjective, it's most of the time not good to talk from a subjective point of view, that's probably misleading to some people that have other preferences in sound than you. :p Explain how headphones sound like in detail and let other people decide if those characteristics are for you or not.

Some people would actually prefer the warm/dark sound of PRO700MK2 compared to the very bright and aggressive HFI-780 for example, it's just a matter of preference. Also if clamping is an issue the first thing I would do is to start some overnight stretching sessions, that's usually easily fixable. I'm sure my AKG K518 DJs beats the ATH-PRO700MK2 in being uncomfortable out of box as I could only wear it for like 15 mins and I got intense pain in the ears from the clamping but some overnight stretching took care of that and made it usable for perhaps 2 hrs or so.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #104 of 906

Quote:
    I do apologize to the community if I sound abrasive in my assessment of the PRO700Mk2s.. Especially to General Karl.. I do find your reviews very entertaining.
I will admit it was your review and mike @ headpfoina that caught my attention on these.. They just didn't sound good to me at all.. I suppose that is just my opinion on em.. I am glad that you found your Holy Grail of BASS phones. They do have copious amounts of it..However I will say if you are interested in these the Vice like grips do make you see the negatives right off the bat which doesn't bode well for someone that spent some good hard earned cash on em.. They are returned no harm no foul..

Happy listening. !

Just curious, were these your first pair of expensive headphones? The reason I ask is because many times people may read reviews and build up what they think the headphones should sound like, before they even get them. In your earlier comment you said the quality was nowhere near what you expected. You might've been expecting too much. This headphone is aimed straight at the person who cares most about a ton of bass, and if some quality is lost along the way, then so be it. There's a reason they are called a refined XB500, clarity isn't exactly the goal. This pair probably shouldn't have been your first choice for trance anyways, while bass is importaint, too much of it will get in the way with that genre. I've always seen the Ultrasone 580/780 recommended first and foremost for trance/electronic. You probably should've read up a bit more before buying them... Clamping is a whole other issue though, easily fixed.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #105 of 906
That is why I own the HFI 780.. Oh yea I am very familiar with BASS heavy sounds in phones.. It was just for phones that cost almost $150 you would expect some refinement in the sounds.. There is none..To be fair they did sound good with hip hop. Slower deep bass groves sound best on em. .But even on those the overall sound I found had little to no clarity on it.. That to me is a mistake for a phone that is called a monitor phones. They are monitor phones in title only... I truly don't think you can monitor anything on em that is the problem.. To me a good value in a phone is if you have a BASS heavy phone for example.  At least have some clarity and some redeeming qualities on em. They look ok but right off the bat if you gotta change the Pads out on em to have any type of comfort. Again that is a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back