Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Jul 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #121 of 906

Quote:
^ Those look like some real "sick bro" headphones
tongue.gif

Your idea of basshead kings? Noone has even heard them yet. Looks like a pair that is more focused on style than sound. Apparently that's a big deal to you though. You just pre ordered a $250 item based solely on the "design and sheer sexiness" because that warrants a purchase for you..... The way in which you think intrigues me
tongue.gif

But... but... it haz bass boost...?
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #122 of 906
    Ya I know nothing has been written about em. No one knows what they will be like but hey someones gotta try em out.. You know one of my fondest memories of playing music was from the old panasonic xtra bass boost Cassette player.  Bass boost is lovely in fact. My first ever real bass heavy set. Aha the memories. Yes based on design...I am taking a huge chance on em,  I know what you guys are thinking..
Another Dre Beats/ Skull candy phone... I purchased this on the description of clear highs n mids with 6db of BASS..It is a gamble I am willing to take. 

From the studio to the club, the DJ Over Ear Wang Headphones offer enhanced sound with selectable bass boost. The 50mm titanium dual-plated drivers let the DJ Wangs deliver the cleanest sound production in its class. Tuned to deliver natural, thumping bass with crystal clear mids and highs, the selectable Bass Boost fine tunes the Fanny Wang combination of beauty in sound and design.
  1. Powered Amp + 50mm titanium dual plated drivers
  2. Integrated Duo Jack (in-line cable splitter) that lets you add friends
  3. iPhone ready with remote and microphone
  4. Bass Boost produces 6dB rich bone shaking bass
  5. Rigid foam carrying case

If this claim is true.. For the asking price compared to the overpriced Beats I think it is reasonable. The gamble might pay off for me at least...Back on topic guys I will leave this thread.... Happy listening fellas.. .
o2smile.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #123 of 906
While I don't judge stuff before they've been properly reviewed I really HATE headphones that need batteries to work. Why o why must they make headphones with battery requirements.

Those headphones do look like they would output a ton of bass, the pads looks like isolating very well and looks quite comfy too.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #125 of 906

Quote:
Hmm I hate to say it guys but I am returning these. Even with other pads. I can't stand the sheer amount of CLAMPING force these have the most of any CANs I own. ..And compared to my Ultrasone HFi-780s these sound dull in comparison..They are perhaps the most uncomfortable CANS I have ever put on my head.. The sheer clamping force was a deal breaker and I have a normal sized head to boot... Unfortunately I got my HFI 780s a day after I got the MK2s.. I was in Trance EUPHORIA with the HFI-780s.

Then when I tried the MK2s. I had a hard time hearing the more intricate notes on the same tune. Conjested as the boomy bass just overtakes everything. I feel like I am hearing everything with a head cold on these. Trance needs highs as much as the lows and while the MK2s provides ample LOWs the highs and the mids are just not there .  JUST the beats. As much as these are praised on the scene for being the new BASS big boys. I can't stand em even after 4 days of blaring music though em.. I love BASS as much as any Bass head but not this type of BASS. I find the BASS on my kickers to be more entertaining . The Bass is BIG for the sake of being BIG but not even close to the quality I was looking for. 

I know this community have no mention of the Kicker Hp541s or DOGs on em for whatever the reason may be,  But I did a head to head sound comparison from the MK2s to the Kickers.. The kickers don't have the BIG BLOWN BASS the MK2s has but they sound better to me in every way compared to the MK2s.. The kickers have good definition and very strong highs n mids as well as having ample fully defined BASS. .As much as I wanted to like the MK2s.. They get a thumbs down from me. Ya I actually prefer the kickers over the MK2s.. You guys can think I am a noob or whatever that might come to mind as this is counter intuitive over and AUDIO TECHNICA PRO700MK2 however.. I cant recommend them to anyone to be honest.. The kickers cost a 1/3rd of the price to these MK2s but they sounds awesome compared to these MK2s . My 2 cents.. The overall sound on the MK2 is muffled because of the BOOMY BASS it is like the highs and the mids only float on the bottom end... Infact I will go as far as to say the Kickers while having a completely different sound signature vs the Ultrasone HFI-780.. They are just as defined in the sound department and just as entertaining..  I just hope Amazon gives me full refund Back for these phones..To put it simply for the bucks. .You can definately do better. I plan on getting the Hfi-580 for the money once I get a refund. I suggest to everyone they do the same or anything else vs these.

I think out of all my CANs all 21 of em  I own these are the most disappointing.. I appreciate your colorful review of these there Gereal Karl but you are wrong on these. They just aren't that good.Infact i will plainly say it.. THEY SUCK!! Even for BASS HEADS. The kickers should be the cost of these and the MK2s should be the cost of the kickers.. For the guys that bought em and liked em good for you guys. For me they are absolutely the worst I have heard in higher/ mid fi cans. I can't even recommend em to BASS heads..The quality is just not there. They sound terribad seriously. No wonder there is only one review on the amazon on em. General Karls.. Thanks but no thanks. I am just telling it like it is.

I've just purchased the Kickers HP541.  Merged it with the large jack on the E9, and took a listen.  Within seconds, I realized Dsnuts was absolutely correct about EVERYTHING.  I seriously feel like an idiot.  The Kickers don't have the same punch as the MK2's, but they sound incredible, no, stupendous - from top to bottom.  Kicker is virtually giving a serious audiophile closed-back for almost peanuts.  No lie, the sound is creamier than Skippy and sounds like the original "bass-heavy" early edition M50's - which I do regret selling a long time ago.

My MK2's are now used only for movies and games now; what a person.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #126 of 906
Dsnuts is a guy who knows what he is talking about and he is a good audiophile...
Everybody should always take his advice into consideration...

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #129 of 906
Hey, just about to get a pair of the pro700's. Loved the review. I was just wondering where you bought the M50 ear pads from? I live in Australia and i cant seem to find them anywhere. Thanks!

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #131 of 906
My friend unboxing the ATH-Pro700 MK2!

Hope you enjoy the video! Happy listening! 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #134 of 906
Any1 tried EQing these PRO700MK2 and also any1 that has tried XB500 as well? Sounds like they'd have a similar looking frequency response balance curve. I love my XB500 with a bit EQing, it's like a 3x increase in value/satisfaction.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #135 of 906
Quote:
Any1 tried EQing these PRO700MK2 and also any1 that has tried XB500 as well? Sounds like they'd have a similar looking frequency response balance curve. I love my XB500 with a bit EQing.

I remember trying that, but it didn't work out all that well. Even if you hit a "sweet spot", then you'd almost be better off buying a cheaper headphone that does the same thing as the "sweet spot" EQ you just applied...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back