Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Jul 21, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #107 of 906

Quote:
That is why I own the HFI 780.. Oh yea I am very familiar with BASS heavy sounds in phones.. It was just for phones that cost almost $150 you would expect some refinement in the sounds.. There is none..To be fair they did sound good with hip hop. Slower deep bass groves sound best on em. .BUT even on those the overall sound I found had little to no clarity on it.. That to me is a mistake for a phone that is called a MONITOR phones. They are MONITOR phones in title only... I truly don't think you can monitor anything on em that is the problem.. To me a good value in a phone is if you have a BASS heavy phone for example.  At least have some clarity and some redeeming qualities on em. They look ok but right off the bat if you gotta change the Pads out on em to have any type of comfort. Again that is a mistake. 

I just got a $38 dollar pair of Pioneer SE-MJ5s that does all music generes that I listen to SO much better in every way and I didn't have to change nothing on em for comfort to boot...I truely recommend em by the way..Another hidden gem and under rated here on headfi Imo... SO imagen my shock when the general sound on em are so non defined that I had a hard time understanding what music I was listening to was a complete shock to me..

I can't even imagen folks that even love the BIG BASS sound would like this...It is hard to justify the cost vs performance on these...I have never heard worse to be completely honest.. You know the best way to describe em for me is. Those guys that cruise the streets.in the cheap civics. Ya you know what I'm talking about that cruise by you with their 20in woofers in the trunk and all you hear is the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Dont know where it stops and ends to the next beat..OOOOOOOOOOOOM..and . BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODONT KNOW WHERE IT BEGINSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.... Almost no melody to hear as theOOOOOOMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.. LittleTrebleoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM..  Ya bit like that and that is the very definition of MUD am I wrong? All i wanted to do is give a perspective on someone that baught it and tried to like it for what it was.. I LOVE BASS.. not this type.. If you hear the quality BASS in phones that cost almost the same.. the Ultrasones for example. What you know,  you get clarity... It was harsh going from the ultrasone HFi780 to the Pro700Mk2s..  Not in any way a good value on em at all...

I think when people who spend their hard earned cash to listen a phone like this.. One should get their monies worth no?. These aren't even an occasional loose yourself in BASS type sound..I think the BASS on not only the HFI 780s.. Heck my $38 Pioneers BASS sound infinately better than these.. HECK my SAMSON SR850 BASS sounds better in every way than this.. I can buy 3 PHONES for the cost of this one PRO700MK2s the BASS and QUALITY is out of this planet good for the cost of this phone.. The Pioneers SE-MJ5.. The Kicker HP541.. SAMSON SR850.. All 3 are different but have authoritative BASS.. OH wait I can add maybe one more to the mix as lets see.. the Pioneers are $38 the Kickers are $45 the SAMSON when I bought em were $38.. Oh yea that adds to about$121.. How about throwing in one JVC .HARX700 $35 in there too... That makes 4 quality BASS heavy phones for the price of ONE Pro700MK2 non defined sound..  I would take any of the others or ALL is my point over this.. That is just me...

Interesting... I listen to mostly hip hop so I find them nice. But I could see how for trance you can't tell where the bass stops and ends. That's why I don't really recommend them for electronic. Theres a quality to quantity ratio with all these bassy headphones. The Pro700 MK2 is the bassiest I've heard (unamped) at the price point, and obviously some quality is sacrificed for that. The 780 isn't nearly as bassy, but has much better quality. It's just about preferences and how much quality you are willing to sacrifice to get a certain quantity. I kindly disagree with most the crap you're throwing out though. For someone wanting huge bass at the price point without an amp, they're great. Once again, you were expecting too much and didn't read up enough. Bass quantity was obviously the main concern of AT when making these. You should've went for the 780/580 from the start with your genres.

Easy on the caps though. It's fatiguing to read your posts with random words in all caps sprinkled in.

EDIT: After looking around the forum, I find you terribly misleading. Something must be wrong with your ears, or you have a vendetta against Audio Technica. Maybe it's just a case of "fanboyism". After looking at this thread specifically http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539682/kicker-hp541 and seeing you get crapped on by some members who actually know what they're talking about, I don't really get your problem.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #108 of 906
Nope nothing wrong with my ears.. I wasn't the only person that found the Pro700Mk2s a bit overrated. I believe Katun chimed in as well.. I am just the first person to admit the issues with those phones.. Hey if you like em that is great. I hope they give you many hours of listening pleasure..It seems I get bashed when I mention something negative about an overhyped phone and add to the fact that I am new around here I would imagen most if not all of you would think I have no idea what I am talking about..

I am ok with that..You all can look at my posts and just get a good laugh.. I don't mind.. One mans preference in sound is another mans ear ache I suppose. I am not here to bash on another persons idea of great sound.... I thought I would shed some light to the masses that might be lead to try those..It is hard for me to understand how anyone can like that kind of mud... I respect what people have to say in these forums as I have learned greatly. But there are bass heads that demand better and so I spoke up. My audition of the pro700mk2 was a revelation to me..Listening to the precision that is the bass on the Pioneers the kickers the ultrasones  "Ya insert laugh here" to these. I thought I would get easily better quality and maybe even better clarity .. I knew about the quantity but I had no idea at what cost...

I am not an AT hater.  I own the AD700 had the Pro700Mk2s. I have a new M50 coming to me as well by the end of the week.I happen to like the AT sound.. Coming from a wide specific sound of a AD700 to the exact opposite in the Pro700MK2s kinda threw me for a loop if anything really. Yes I read everyones post about em and even Mike as headfonia who recommended em.. With such high praise and recommendation I though the Bass must be some of the best quality for the cans it is big but quality is not a word I would use to describe the bass. Again that is just my opinion..It was simple I tried em and didn't enjoy the congested head cold like sound..If you guys like that then more power to ya.

well cheers and enjoy your new BASS KINGS.. I will just go back to listening to my new HFI-780s..

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #109 of 906
How are they overrated? They just came out... This is the only somewhat in depth review on head fi, and it has only 8 pages of posts, real overrated right? You keep talking about them like someone told you they were "bass kings". Please, link me to that post where you were told they were bass kings. A bass king would be Ultrasone Pro 900, Thunderpants, Darth Beyer. Whoever told you the Pro700 was a bass king was mislead. It may have a lot of bass unamped for the price, but certainly not a bass king. I'm starting to think you aren't even a basshead. The reason why is because you ordered the ATH M50 (speaking of overrated by the way, the M50 is the definition of overrated).

Heres the deal, when you recieve the M50, let us all know how you like them. If you are truly satisfied with the bass on the M50, you can't even call yourself a basshead, period. To any basshead, the M50 is lacking big time. And if you are expecting a ton of bass, you may have been mislead once again and didn't read up enough. Just like when you bought the Pro 700 MK2 thinking it was the best for electronic/trance. Start up your own thread for recommendations if you really have to...

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #111 of 906
BTW I noticed:

Is that a hole/vent? If so that would explain the improved soundstage over M50. Seems to be a trend these days that even "closed" headphones gets a little bit venting.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #112 of 906

Quote:
http://www.headfonia.com/bass-to-the-power-of-two-pro700-mk2/#disqus_thread 

What source are you using? I'm done arguing with you, but this part caught my eye from that review.

"You can enjoy the Pro700 Mk2 direct from an Ipod just fine, but with bass-heavy recordings, bass control would quickly go out the door. Blame it on the Ipod though, as a good portable amp that boasts good articulation such as the Meier StepDance quickly solves this problem."

But seriously, let us know how you like the M50. If the bass of that pair really satisfies you, then you have no business commenting on these, because you simply can't handle that much.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #113 of 906
I am a basshead,but the kind of basshead that doesn't like the bass to mess with the rest of the frequencies..
Deep,full and tight punch is my taste and not the boomy overpowering bass that many headphones produce.
M50 sure isn't not a basshead headphone but it could transform to a potential one with the proper amp...
It can handle very well bassy tracks without distorting or make them boomy..

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #114 of 906

Quote:
BTW I noticed:

Is that a hole/vent? If so that would explain the improved soundstage over M50. Seems to be a trend these days that even "closed" headphones gets a little bit venting.

Nope, that's no hole. If you look closely, it's just a random stick out thing.

I don't find soundstage to be all that good. Let's just say it sound like a true closed headphone.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #115 of 906
At Dsnuts, no offense taken at all.  I appreciate everyone's viewpoint and yours was very insightful.  It will definitely give a second look to those considering.  Taken from my perspective knowing that they would emphasize more bass than treble and mids, I do EQ mine positively for the mids and highs.  I cannot turn back.  The MK2's just sound exactly the way I wanted it.  Ice Cube's "I Rep That West", Daz Dillinger's "Destruction Adds Up To Zero", and Dr Dre's "Kush", to name a few, just absolutely bang on the MK2's. 

I also have mine connected to a Fiio E9.  The larger jack (6.3mm) tightens up the bass like a well-received wedgie, while the highs and mids are a touch more defined compared to unamped.  However, I don't use the large jack.  I use the smaller (3.5mm) because the bass, although not as tight as the large jack, has more quantity and the mids are brought more forward along with the highs.  I have no clue why (maybe due to the added built-in 43 ohm resistor?) but as soon as I tested it out due to curiosity, I've found my match like peanut-butter and jelly.  The sound is delicious.  In my opinion, after some EQ and proper amping, they sound like the M50's but with moar bass (my god, much more), which is why I gravitated towards them.  They are certainly a touch "darker" than the M50's, but even that can be fixed with some added treble.  No closed-can can deliver the mids and highs that many open ones do.  There is always a tradeoff - I'll gladly take my heavily skewed-on-the-Bar-B-Q bass.  That's why I have a open (DT990) and closed (MK2 of course) set for versatility.

As far as comfort, that is an easy fix.  Stretch them, and replace the stock pads with the Beyer softskin synthetics.  You can cut the cushion area portion on the stock pads, leaving only the lip portion that wraps around the cup.  Then take the Beyer softskins and glue them to the lip/ring of the butchered stock pads and enjoy.  This is exactly what I did.  I just did the Nurburgring 4hr. endurance on Gran Turismo 5, rocking my brains out without discomfort.  I also wears specs.  MK2 4 me all the way.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #116 of 906

Quote:
What source are you using? I'm done arguing with you, but this part caught my eye from that review.

"You can enjoy the Pro700 Mk2 direct from an Ipod just fine, but with bass-heavy recordings, bass control would quickly go out the door. Blame it on the Ipod though, as a good portable amp that boasts good articulation such as the Meier StepDance quickly solves this problem."

But seriously, let us know how you like the M50. If the bass of that pair really satisfies you, then you have no business commenting on these, because you simply can't handle that much.

Well said.  If there's too much meat on your plate, fetch a salad.

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #117 of 906

You and your metaphors...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN3RAL KARL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The larger jack (6.3mm) tightens up the bass like a well-received wedgie

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #119 of 906
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056HNSWY/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_ir02?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1RVYMKWME53VQX33MNHA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846  @ General Karl.. I prefer a thick piece of filet mignon with my Salad actually.. Just pre orderd the black n white one..My idea of BASS kings..50mm Titanium dual plated drivers amped..Looking for a high end club sound vs a trunk o funk sound...Will let the community know how it is..This is more like what I was looking for.. Will do a bit of a comparo vs these heavy hitters.  A shot in the dark really as they do look a bit like pro Dre knock offs and the phones aren't even out yet.. We will see.. But I am intrigued enough with the design and sheer sexiness of this phone to warrant a purchase... Shipping late August... **** can't wait that long..Will just have to be happy my Dj1s until then.. More info on em  

http://www.fannywang.com/

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #120 of 906
^ Those look like some real "sick bro" headphones
tongue.gif

Your idea of basshead kings? Noone has even heard them yet. Looks like a pair that is more focused on style than sound. Apparently that's a big deal to you though. You just pre ordered a $250 item based solely on the "design and sheer sexiness" because that warrants a purchase for you..... The way in which you think intrigues me
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back