Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 21, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #736 of 1,047
Just acquired a pair of MSR7Bs for just $150 to complement my Cascades for less bass-heavy intimate and detailed sound on a go, very pleased with the choice so far.

Which pads (preferably Brainwavz) do you suggest to retain the midrange / lower treble signature after modding while not losing mod benefits mentioned many times in this thread? I want to try it but am afraid that mids might become somewhat recessed.

Does it make sense to apply a mod but keep the stock pads?

UPD: I carefully read the whole thread and decided not to apply the mod and order Yaxi MSR7 Comfort pads instead. We'll see how it works :) probably will add a proper OCC 4.4 cable later.

These HPs aren't the best choice for modern "made for V-shape" music but the way they render acoustic and vocal tracks makes me smile every time. I'll definitely keep these for portable use and maybe complement them with Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition for home use selling my Cascades.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #737 of 1,047
Got one 3 hours ago (used - very good) for 112€ from Amazon.de, wondering if I should keep it or not. It might be good for portable use, because it's lightweight and has balanced cable included. I've not been big fan of outside listening recently, and don't own any good portable DAC/AMP gear, but I might get one. Real reason I got it was the price, and I've heard it's excellent (for the price), and I wanted to try modding it. Now I need to read what can be done. Those suggested pads are like 50€ (from Amazon.co.uk - after brexit) in Europe, so they better be very good then, because the whole idea is to be as cheap as possible. Same for DAP, if I get one.

Been enjoying Denon AH-D7200 recently (excellent) so this is really a side project.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #739 of 1,047
Got one 3 hours ago (used - very good) for 112€ from Amazon.de, wondering if I should keep it or not. It might be good for portable use, because it's lightweight and has balanced cable included. I've not been big fan of outside listening recently, and don't own any good portable DAC/AMP gear, but I might get one. Real reason I got it was the price, and I've heard it's excellent (for the price), and I wanted to try modding it. Now I need to read what can be done. Those suggested pads are like 50€ (from Amazon.co.uk - after brexit) in Europe, so they better be very good then, because the whole idea is to be as cheap as possible. Same for DAP, if I get one.

Been enjoying Denon AH-D7200 recently (excellent) so this is really a side project.
I ordered Yaxi pads for $39 from their website with free worldwide shipping, will share the impressions when get them. Now looking for a proper OCC copper cable, not silver plated.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #740 of 1,047
I would not start modding a 100€ pair of cans with 50€ pads - especially for portable use.
Although I agree, some pads can change some cans a lot. Having said that, I'd ask whether headphones discussed here are worth it, maybe they are?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 23, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #741 of 1,047
I ordered Yaxi pads for $39 from their website with free worldwide shipping, will share the impressions when get them. Now looking for a proper OCC copper cable, not silver plated.
But it says shipping is $10 everywhere? (And customs will make it 24% more.)

Nothing wrong with trying to get all out of your cans, even when it's not worth it, it's a hobby, and I've done it too. Of course first you must really like them, in one way or another, sound is just one quality. But I can return them if I don't like.

My phone has pretty awful sound. iPad Pro has much better, but it goes bad with pockets. It's time to get new phone anyway, so one with decent DAC is one possibility. But I wanted to try it balanced.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #742 of 1,047
But it says shipping is $10 everywhere? (And customs will make it 24% more.)

Nothing wrong with trying to get all out of your cans, even when it's not worth it, it's a hobby, and I've done it too. Of course first you must really like them, in one way or another, sound is just one quality. But I can return them if I don't like.

My phone has pretty awful sound. iPad Pro has much better, but it goes bad with pockets. It's time to get new phone anyway, so one with decent DAC is one possibility.
Not really, I've attached a screenshot from their website. And I really like MSR7b sound for acoustic/vocal tracks, actually much more than my Cascades which are several times more expensive.

I'm listening to these balanced via L&P W2 connected to my phone though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210623-161035.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-161035.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #744 of 1,047
Nice, didn't see that. I was trying to get Cascades whole year before getting Denon's. Cascades have strongest bass, I know. But happy with Denon's. I also have Sennheiser HD 800 SDR for home use.
I tried D5200 as well but didn't like them much, you can find my feedback on these and several others here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...arisons-reviews.939901/page-132#post-16415850

As my source is too weak to drive Aeon 2 Closed properly, which I liked the most of portable HPs, I decided to go with MSR7b for portable use and save a bit for Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM edition or even Denon D9200 for home use.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #745 of 1,047
Looks like I could get new ATH-WP900 at surprisingly good price too. It's local store, so I will not link it. It's similarly portable, of course in totally other price category. It's one of the headphones I was looking the most this year.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #746 of 1,047

Well, the Brainwavz pads aren't that expensive. You can order directly from their site and they're pretty cheap. You don't even have to go for the angled sheepskin pads, the pleather flat ones work just fine (quite different, though). Haven't tried the Yaxi pads, so I can't comment on that.

Now, as for modding these cans. They are excellent project headphones. Unlike the MSR7 which were pretty picky on what could be done to them, the MSR7b are a pleasure to work on. Some things don't work (Suede pads are an example, sadly), but most configurations are usable and pretty good, so it all depends on taste.

Regarding sources. I was never a fan of DAPs. I use my MSR7b with my phone and a Fiio Q5s and it's been absolutely amazing, but as I understand it's not within your budget. Luckily, while the MSR7b can improve with a better source and more power (and by going balanced), it's not needed and they play fine even out of my Fiio BTR3, their teeny tiny bluetooth dongle. So you may be able to save some money by going for a portable DAC/amp instead of a DAP. The Fiio BTR5 looks good but you'd need an adapter. Some of XDuoo's stuff is also pretty amazing for the price, but I can't remember if they offer wireless etc.

Have fun!

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #747 of 1,047
Looks like I could get new ATH-WP900 at surprisingly good price too. It's local store, so I will not link it. It's similarly portable, of course in totally other price category. It's one of the headphones I was looking the most this year.
Second that, these are very good, fun-sounded and portable if you don't mind V-shaped sound with elevated midbass and recessed mids. AP2000Ti is closer to MSR7b though I found that it has even less bass, and its cups are fingerprint magnets.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #748 of 1,047
Always amused by the way Japanese people pack their goods 😍🎧

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_173148.jpg
    IMG_20210628_173148.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #750 of 1,047
Always amused by the way Japanese people pack their goods 😍🎧
Early impressions on Yaxi MSR7 Comfort pads compared to stock ones: some more time is needed for sure, but generally I mostly second this review: https://everydaylistening.net/2019/05/14/yaxi-ath-msr7-pads-review-get-them-now/

A few notes on top of it though:
- Yaxi pads are more shallow than stock ones which can make your ears touch the drivers; overall comfort for long listening sessions is improved though
- Isolation is roughly on par with stock pads
- Heating issues are much less prominent due to Alcantara finishing
- Mids are a bit more recessed though overall timbre is indeed more natural
- Bass is slightly elevated and overall sound signature is a tad warmer probably due to different materials and also drivers being closer to ears because of lesser pad depth; might be a benefit for some though I liked stock recessed bass a bit more because of a bit more clarity

TL;DR: though there are some points I like stock pads a bit more I'll probably stick with these mostly because of more natural timbre and improved comfort/breathability

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back