The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jun 5, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,966 of 1,970

soundblast75

Headphoneus Supremus
Good to hear on both fronts! I do like my Plussound cable for my Th900 but my OCD side is irked the termination isn't flush with the cup.

For the Rögnir, did you order directly from them?
Yes, from St Petersburg direct👍

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,967 of 1,970

Malevolent

Headphoneus Supremus
I also think the place of contentment is what we ultimately want and I'm thinking i might have reached it every time i reach for these, its pure music, how can anyone want more😊🎧🎶❤️
Good place to be in - enjoy!
@Malevolent for sure, the feeling of contentment is great when you are lucky enough to get there. The rat race of upgrade-itis gets super old for me too....I actually "left" the hobby for over 5 years until "coming back" about a year ago now.
Thanks, my friends. :)

In this (very) frantic hobby of ours, the FOMO factor is very real. You keep wondering, is that new headphone going to have better bass than my current cans? Is that new amplifier a beast with my headphones? That new DAP looks great; will it bring greater clarity to my music?

I know, I've been guilty of all of the aforementioned.. anxieties?

Anyway, in the last couple of months, I've had a great time with my music. I've actually thought less of "up/side-grading", and simply enjoying what I have. I hope you guys achieve a stable level of contentment, too!

Of course, I've still got my finger on the pulse of things. I'm just less susceptible to audio-nervosa than I used to be. I hope. :sweat_smile:

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,968 of 1,970

Malevolent

Headphoneus Supremus
tMmFYzX.jpg

I feel fortunate to have the Stellia, Z1R, and D9200 at the moment. Of course, at this level they are all competent cans and I could live with any one of them as my only headphone. But, to my preferences:

Comfort: Z1R > Stellia >>> 9200
Build: Z1R > Stellia = 9200
Treble: Stellia = 9200 > Z1R
Mids: 9200 = Stellia > Z1R
Bass: ? Hardest to answer….I feel the Z1R has the most effortless bass, but the Stellia and 9200 are tighter, cleaner. The Denon has the best slam/impact. The Z1R is the loosest, most wooly of the bunch, but for me there’s a sense of heft it conveys that the others simply do not.

I had the ZMF VC earlier this year, but found it to be too veiled for my tastes. I like all these cans, if I could only pick one it would be between the Z1R and the 9200. The Z1R is significantly more comfortable on me, so that might be the decision maker in my case.
We've had similar experiences with our cans; I prefer the Vérité Closed to the Stellia, though. :)

Anyway, your description of the bass section of these 3 cans is rather spot on, IMO. I, too, enjoy the presentations of the lows on the MDR-Z1R and the AH-D9200. They are quite fitting for bass-driven music, such as EDM.

Suffice it to say, you've got some of the closed-back headphones on the contemporary market. I think you won't be found wanting anytime soon. Enjoy, buddy!

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,969 of 1,970

Malevolent

Headphoneus Supremus
I miss you a lot. I'm very glad that you are ok. I though that with less COVID restrictions in your area, you started to do your job outside and didn't have time to visit frequently the forum... (I also though about a future little Tim) :wink:

Come here (to your thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) once a week or something like that... There are some people that needs Malevolent closedbacks knowledge :L3000:
Well, thankfully, the COVID situation in Singapore has been contained.. somewhat. We've had a recent spate of community infections, but the situation has been mitigated, thanks to a pseudo-lockdown. Sadly, CanJam Singapore has been postponed (yet) again - the writing was on the wall for some time now. It's going to be another year before I get to meet the chief architects of some of the best-sounding equipment again. Oh, well. Stay safe, my friend! :)

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #1,970 of 1,970

shampoosuicide

500+ Head-Fier
Picked up a pair of Oak Klipsch HP-3's a couple of weeks back:

IMG_8850 (2).jpeg

Cross-posting my impressions from the HP-3 thread, previously owned the Fostex TH900 MK1:

The HP-3, to my ears, are akin to an open, more natural and palatably tuned TH900, whilst sharing the same distinctive biocellulose tonality. You trade the hyper-intense tuning and sledgehammer bass impact of the TH900 for a far more versatile and musical headphone. I'm running them out of my iFi ZEN stack, and hear zero bloat, bass bleed, or exaggerated warmth; quite the opposite, in fact. Just clean and precise with a lovely organic timbre.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread