The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jun 5, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,966 of 6,296
Good to hear on both fronts! I do like my Plussound cable for my Th900 but my OCD side is irked the termination isn't flush with the cup.

For the Rögnir, did you order directly from them?
Yes, from St Petersburg direct👍

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,967 of 6,296
I also think the place of contentment is what we ultimately want and I'm thinking i might have reached it every time i reach for these, its pure music, how can anyone want more😊🎧🎶❤️
Good place to be in - enjoy!
@Malevolent for sure, the feeling of contentment is great when you are lucky enough to get there. The rat race of upgrade-itis gets super old for me too....I actually "left" the hobby for over 5 years until "coming back" about a year ago now.
Thanks, my friends. :)

In this (very) frantic hobby of ours, the FOMO factor is very real. You keep wondering, is that new headphone going to have better bass than my current cans? Is that new amplifier a beast with my headphones? That new DAP looks great; will it bring greater clarity to my music?

I know, I've been guilty of all of the aforementioned.. anxieties?

Anyway, in the last couple of months, I've had a great time with my music. I've actually thought less of "up/side-grading", and simply enjoying what I have. I hope you guys achieve a stable level of contentment, too!

Of course, I've still got my finger on the pulse of things. I'm just less susceptible to audio-nervosa than I used to be. I hope. :sweat_smile:

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,968 of 6,296
tMmFYzX.jpg

I feel fortunate to have the Stellia, Z1R, and D9200 at the moment. Of course, at this level they are all competent cans and I could live with any one of them as my only headphone. But, to my preferences:

Comfort: Z1R > Stellia >>> 9200
Build: Z1R > Stellia = 9200
Treble: Stellia = 9200 > Z1R
Mids: 9200 = Stellia > Z1R
Bass: ? Hardest to answer….I feel the Z1R has the most effortless bass, but the Stellia and 9200 are tighter, cleaner. The Denon has the best slam/impact. The Z1R is the loosest, most wooly of the bunch, but for me there’s a sense of heft it conveys that the others simply do not.

I had the ZMF VC earlier this year, but found it to be too veiled for my tastes. I like all these cans, if I could only pick one it would be between the Z1R and the 9200. The Z1R is significantly more comfortable on me, so that might be the decision maker in my case.
We've had similar experiences with our cans; I prefer the Vérité Closed to the Stellia, though. :)

Anyway, your description of the bass section of these 3 cans is rather spot on, IMO. I, too, enjoy the presentations of the lows on the MDR-Z1R and the AH-D9200. They are quite fitting for bass-driven music, such as EDM.

Suffice it to say, you've got some of the closed-back headphones on the contemporary market. I think you won't be found wanting anytime soon. Enjoy, buddy!

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,969 of 6,296
I miss you a lot. I'm very glad that you are ok. I though that with less COVID restrictions in your area, you started to do your job outside and didn't have time to visit frequently the forum... (I also though about a future little Tim) :wink:

Come here (to your thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) once a week or something like that... There are some people that needs Malevolent closedbacks knowledge :L3000:
Well, thankfully, the COVID situation in Singapore has been contained.. somewhat. We've had a recent spate of community infections, but the situation has been mitigated, thanks to a pseudo-lockdown. Sadly, CanJam Singapore has been postponed (yet) again - the writing was on the wall for some time now. It's going to be another year before I get to meet the chief architects of some of the best-sounding equipment again. Oh, well. Stay safe, my friend! :)

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #1,970 of 6,296
Picked up a pair of Oak Klipsch HP-3's a couple of weeks back:

IMG_8850 (2).jpeg

Cross-posting my impressions from the HP-3 thread, previously owned the Fostex TH900 MK1:

The HP-3, to my ears, are akin to an open, more natural and palatably tuned TH900, whilst sharing the same distinctive biocellulose tonality. You trade the hyper-intense tuning and sledgehammer bass impact of the TH900 for a far more versatile and musical headphone. I'm running them out of my iFi ZEN stack, and hear zero bloat, bass bleed, or exaggerated warmth; quite the opposite, in fact. Just clean and precise with a lovely organic timbre.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,971 of 6,296
It's been a couple of weeks since I've been on Head-Fi. It's rather weird, in my perspective, at least, to abstain from a community that I greatly enjoy interacting with. Plus, this forum contains a plethora of information on a(n) obsession hobby that has been a huge part of my life for the past 12 years, or so.

Anyway, without sounding melodramatic, I've been very satisfied with my headphones (and my gear) at this juncture. Currently, I'm using my Fostex TH900 Mk2, Denon AH-D9200, and my Audeze LCD-XC on a daily basis. I haven't actually found the need (read: desire) to try something new at the moment, and that's, apparently, a good thing. :)

I'm still looking forward to trying the Rögnir (if it ever hits my shores), but that itch to buy something has been quelled, at least for the time being.

Happy listening, folks!

Quite a coincidence... my visits to head-fi are also rather limited for quite some time now, plus I got back to the basics... rediscovered my love for the original M-100, bought two units (in white, my current favorite color for equipment...) plus XL pads -- after completing my color palette of the CF2W Codex that is. What can I say... I still love the M-100. Long version of this story can be found here: https://plak.at/id_846

Only toy that is still tempting me is the Shure SHA900... I always loved its design. But would I really use it enough to justify its rather steep price (maybe opting for a returned unit in this case)?

I'll let go some units from my collection, especially the Pioneer Master-1 and the Shure KSE-1500 (still the best headphone I know, but I simply don't use it anymore). I think the D9200 will stay, its just so good. Although I did not unpack it for almost 2 months right now...

The APM will be allowed to stay, despite me never using them. Interesting case... I was really waiting for an Apple headphone for literally years. Finally it came, it even sounds good... but I don't use it. Really don't know... sound signature would fit me almost perfectly (pronounced deep bass with good clear structure), its quite comfortable (although a bit heavy)... I just don't feel compelled to pick them up. I mainly keep them for the easy switching between devices for videos etc. Really strange...

The DT770/80 will definitely stay. Although I became more aware of its slightly troubled treble lately, I still like this one. The iconic design, easy repairability and robustness appeal to me.

I'll also keep an AIAIAI configuration, based upon their better Bluetooth headband (supporting more codecs than the current offering) and the S05 driver with the pleather over-ear pads. I like AIAIAI for the modular concept (pure genius) and their approach to sustainability (they even publish repair guides).

My K812/K872 will also stay, the last models from AKG Vienna. Plus I like them.

The Austrian Audio Hi-X55 may also be allowed to stay. To me its really comfortable, and a prime example of what level of build quality is possible at a reasonable price while still keeping production in Europe (mainly Vienna).

The Shure SE846 will stay. Love this one, plus the TW1 Bluetooth adapters gave it a new life. Sound is still sublime, and just stunning given their age.

The 64audio N8 will of course also be with me, and not only because its a custom IEM: I use them daily while taking my walk(s) (in ancient times also commutes) and just marvel at what sound quality is available on-the-go. They helped me save so much money being customs...

That grew longer than anticipated... just a short closing note: to reach me just @ me, I might not check in that often.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,972 of 6,296
Quite a coincidence... my visits to head-fi are also rather limited for quite some time now, plus I got back to the basics... rediscovered my love for the original M-100, bought two units (in white, my current favorite color for equipment...) plus XL pads -- after completing my color palette of the CF2W Codex that is. What can I say... I still love the M-100. Long version of this story can be found here: https://plak.at/id_846
Fully agree with your take on the M-100 (I still have not applied the XL pads yet:smile_phones:) and not even listen them in my signature, but these are very enjoyable headphones (besides comfort) that even impress me more often when used with „better“ amps (e.g. on the V281) even compared to my other pleasure cans (Cascade, HP-3, EMu Teak) in my collection. They may be an „older“ technical design, but are still worth to listen to today and can compete with more modern headphones in many regards. Sadly these are discontinued now.

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,973 of 6,296
Fully agree with your take on the M-100 (I still have not applied the XL pads yet:smile_phones:) and not even listen them in my signature, but these are very enjoyable headphones (besides comfort) that even impress me more often when used with „better“ amps (e.g. on the V281) even compared to my other pleasure cans (Cascade, HP-3, EMu Teak) in my collection. They may be an „older“ technical design, but are still worth to listen to today and can compete with more modern headphones in many regards. Sadly these are discontinued now.

yes, it’s sad to see them discontinued… this is why I snatched two units. The M-100 Master unfortunately misses a lot of the fun part of the M-100…

I‘d recommend to really switch to the XL pads… easier than anticipated and the increase in comfort is enormous. I‘ve posted a short description of the process in the M-100 thread here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/v-m...eedback-reviews-pics-etc.592389/post-16368153

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #1,974 of 6,296

Only toy that is still tempting me is the Shure SHA900... I always loved its design. But would I really use it enough to justify its rather steep price (maybe opting for a returned unit in this case)?

I'll let go some units from my collection, especially the Pioneer Master-1 and the Shure KSE-1500 (still the best headphone I know, but I simply don't use it anymore). I think the D9200 will stay, its just so good. Although I did not unpack it for almost 2 months right now...

The APM will be allowed to stay, despite me never using them. Interesting case... I was really waiting for an Apple headphone for literally years. Finally it came, it even sounds good... but I don't use it. Really don't know... sound signature would fit me almost perfectly (pronounced deep bass with good clear structure), its quite comfortable (although a bit heavy)... I just don't feel compelled to pick them up. I mainly keep them for the easy switching between devices for videos etc. Really strange...

The DT770/80 will definitely stay. Although I became more aware of its slightly troubled treble lately, I still like this one. The iconic design, easy repairability and robustness appeal to me.

I'll also keep an AIAIAI configuration, based upon their better Bluetooth headband (supporting more codecs than the current offering) and the S05 driver with the pleather over-ear pads. I like AIAIAI for the modular concept (pure genius) and their approach to sustainability (they even publish repair guides).

My K812/K872 will also stay, the last models from AKG Vienna. Plus I like them.

The Austrian Audio Hi-X55 may also be allowed to stay. To me its really comfortable, and a prime example of what level of build quality is possible at a reasonable price while still keeping production in Europe (mainly Vienna).

The Shure SE846 will stay. Love this one, plus the TW1 Bluetooth adapters gave it a new life. Sound is still sublime, and just stunning given their age.

The 64audio N8 will of course also be with me, and not only because its a custom IEM: I use them daily while taking my walk(s) (in ancient times also commutes) and just marvel at what sound quality is available on-the-go. They helped me save so much money being customs...

That grew longer than anticipated... just a short closing note: to reach me just @ me, I might not check in that often.
A few days ago, when I saw Malevolent's post, I was thinking in the people that shared my AH-D9200s purchase and which were writting here some months ago, like you. And, precisely, today, I saw you in the forum index (you wrote something in IEM subforum). I miss a lot of people, but specially Malevolent and Eric65. I suppose that this forum, like others, have their life cicles and, obviously, last year was more active due to the current pandemic and the restrictions applied in most countries...

Thank you for sharing your updates. I'm waiting for detailed impressions about the new Rögnir or some proffesional review of them.

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,975 of 6,296
A few days ago, when I saw Malevolent's post, I was thinking in the people that shared my AH-D9200s purchase and which were writting here some months ago, like you. And, precisely, today, I saw you in the forum index (you wrote something in IEM subforum). I miss a lot of people, but specially Malevolent and Eric65. I suppose that this forum, like others, have their life cicles and, obviously, last year was more active due to the current pandemic and the restrictions applied in most countries...

Thank you for sharing your updates. I'm waiting for detailed impressions about the new Rögnir or some proffesional review of them.
Yes, there's still activity in the SE846 thread... one of those items that really stood the test of time.

I've had a knack for Japanese headphones for quite some time, or, better, for Japanese culture: especially the inclination to get to the bottom of a thing, to perfect it. And keep it simple. I see this in the Japanese TOTL headphones sometimes, such as the craftsmanship in the Master-1 and the D9200. I've owned the Master-1 for about 6 years, so I think the D9200 will inherit its position now.

Today I did order that SHA900... which will be another reason to get the D9200 out of its bag again. It really is a beautiful headphone, and a good sounding one too.

My current V-Moda case collection -- one is missing though, I left that back in Carinthia where the M-100 Master resides:
83952AFE-9A5B-47D5-BF4E-E952E08294D3.jpeg

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,976 of 6,296
Curiosity has driven me to order a secondhand pair of ATH-W1000Z from Japan. On the end of the right tube amp, they are said to be perfect for those 50s and 60s Rudy van Gelder jazz recordings.

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #1,977 of 6,296
Could you please suggest a decent alternative to Aeon 2 Closed with similar signature, still portable enough to take for a walk, even long one (so sturdy and ideally even foldable) with good isolation and decent soundstage depth but less power hungry?

I am looking for a side-grade for my Cascades with more neutral mid-centric sound and natural timbre, and liked A2C a lot compared to WP900, AP2000Ti, D5200 and Elegia but my L&P W2 is too weak to drive them properly even high gain balanced.

Initially I liked WP900 as the most portable, light and comfortable compared to the rest of the pack. They sounded very fun and toe-tapping for some tracks but quite fatiguing for a long listening session being too much V-shaped.

Compared to them AP2000Ti sounded much more neutral and natural with nice level of details and decent speed though they definitely lacked some rumble in lows, are less portable, and shiny metal cups are fingerprint magnets.

D5200 felt like a home sneakers compared to both providing comfortable but much less detailed and overly warm sound, and Elegia was just nothing to write home about being the least interesting overall with weird timbre which surprised me after reading several reviews praising its acoustic and vocal performance.

I've heard good words about Celestee but haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, any more options?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #1,979 of 6,296
This Rögnir seems to be really a new reference in the closed back market,
I'm afraid that $2.5k TOTL HP might be not the wisest choice for a portable use :frowning2:
Both Cascades and A2C (and partly W900) are more suitable though A2C appeared to be too tough for a 230mW @ 32 ohms dongle so I'm on a quest for alternatives.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,980 of 6,296
I'm afraid that $2.5k TOTL HP might be not the wisest choice for a portable use :frowning2:
Both Cascades and A2C (and partly W900) are more suitable though A2C appeared to be too tough for a 230mW @ 32 ohms dongle so I'm on a quest for alternatives.
I'd recommend the Sony Z7m2, its probably the most comfortable headphone I've tried so far, very light for a full size and compact enough for portable use, also easy to drive.
Just FYI it has Sony's signature "fun" tuning, I love it but some people are not fans. And if you are bold enough, it can be easily modded with just a pad change and surgical tape to make it sound alot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back