Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Jul 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #406 of 787
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but someone on a thread about the Tera player suggested trying a 75 ohm adapter with the ESW9s. These adapters are usually sold for use with a Ety ER4P as described here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689

However, it has a nice smoothing effect on the ESW9s. I use an iCAN amp that has a 3D soundstage enhancement that adds space to the soundstage. Unfortunately, it also adds a bit of brightness by boosting the highs. The ESW9s sound great with the iCAN, but adding the adapter brings back the smoothness of the ESW9s while still allowing me to enjoy the 3D effect.

Anyone who wants to tone down the highs in their ESW9s might want to give this a try. The effect is subtle and does not seem to mess up any of the rest of the sound.

Do you find that it also reduces the volume A LOT?
It also increases the output impedance of your amp, reducing the damping factor and altering the frequency response of the phones.

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #407 of 787
Quote:
Finally got mine in today.  Definitely congested straight out of the box; but I suppose that perhaps my Note II isn't doing it justice either.  Going to burn them in and see how they improve.

A lot richer than the ES88 but they don't have that solid feel they do either.  I'll definitely be babying them to keep these luscious cups looking nice.

Yea it's a shame you can't wear those outside, definitely a classy looking headphone bound to turn heads

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #408 of 787
Quote:
Do you find that it also reduces the volume A LOT?
It also increases the output impedance of your amp, reducing the damping factor and altering the frequency response of the phones.

It does reduce the volume....whether it is a lot probably depends on what kind of amp you are using. The iCAN can drive it easily with the 75 ohm adapter in place (see my current rig here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail/195#post_9630513).

The person on the Tera thread suggested using the 75 ohm adapter with the ESW9 straight out of the portable Tera player, but I found that did not give me enough volume.

I am sure it is changing the frequency response, I just happen to really like the way it does in my system. Of course your mileage may vary, but if your system seems a little too bright with the ESW9s, then this might be worth risking $18 for on ebay (you can always resell it on here if it does not work out). The effect is remarkably subtle. I have tried this adapter in other setups with other headphones and it made much bigger changes in the sound....usually not good ones. Of course the Etymotic ER4P is another exception where it affects the sound in a useful way, although again it makes them into the ER4S which is meant for "non-portable" use with an amp.

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #409 of 787
Quote:
Yea it's a shame you can't wear those outside, definitely a classy looking headphone bound to turn heads

I liked them so much, I bought two: one for home use and one for taking outside that I won't worry about. At about $150 used, it was not out of reach. I might also pick up one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Portable-case-for-audio-technica-ATH-ES7-ES55-ESW9-ESW10-SQ5-FW5-Headphones-/181144113914?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&hash=item2a2d07d2fa

Plus I am having one pair recabled with a Plussound silver/gold cable so I can compare them side by side and see what difference a cable makes.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #410 of 787
It does reduce the volume....whether it is a lot probably depends on what kind of amp you are using. The iCAN can drive it easily with the 75 ohm adapter in place (see my current rig here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail/195#post_9630513).

The person on the Tera thread suggested using the 75 ohm adapter with the ESW9 straight out of the portable Tera player, but I found that did not give me enough volume.

I am sure it is changing the frequency response, I just happen to really like the way it does in my system. Of course your mileage may vary, but if your system seems a little too bright with the ESW9s, then this might be worth risking $18 for on ebay (you can always resell it on here if it does not work out). The effect is remarkably subtle. I have tried this adapter in other setups with other headphones and it made much bigger changes in the sound....usually not good ones. Of course the Etymotic ER4P is another exception where it affects the sound in a useful way, although again it makes them into the ER4S which is meant for "non-portable" use with an amp.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the ESW9 is too bright with my stuff.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #411 of 787
Quote:

Oh, they'll get worn outside....just will be paranoid on how I handle them.

I also left them looping last night on "Waka-Waka (This time for Africa)" and running them through my e11 today they are MUCH better.

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #414 of 787
Nope. Its perfectly safe for that kind of thing in Japan. Dont have muggings or people taking your stuff on the street.
I they get messed up i'll just dump em and get a fresh pair....or something else.
Gotta use em. I do take good care of them though, two years or more and no scratches.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #415 of 787
Quote:
Just my opinion, but I don't think the ESW9 is too bright with my stuff.

Yes, it is a quirk of my setup that they can sound a little bright. The iCAN amp has a 3D soundstage enhancing feature that works well, but also adds a bit of brightness to any headphone. So that is why I like the 75 ohm adapter with the ESW9s.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #416 of 787
Quote:
I wear mine outside and everywhere.

I don't know how you do it, I used mine once before in a "not in my house" enviroment and it was a failure granted I was at a hospital lobby.  I can hear everything at moderate volume and pretty much kill the sound.  I can still hear my music and all just not even close to being the same.  To be fair it was in the lobby where a lot people come in and out.

I should try it again somewhere else a little bit less crowded and see how it goes.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #417 of 787
What type of wire did you use?

I bought them from another member here who had them shipped directly to Brian at BTG Audio. He then recabled them with the 8 Strand SPC cable, and I must say it is an excellent smooth and flexible cable.
I was worried it would be stiff but it is just right although I personally think four wires per driver is overkill lol.
As for sound I feel it adds a delicacy or refinement to the sound in resolution but nothing else really. Same signature.

But remember I have a "Germania mod" wich already is giving me a substantial soundstage and detail boost due to the removal/replacement of the sound absorbing yellow felt..
Edit: sound difference more accurately detailed in next post..

A lot richer than the ES88 but they don't have that solid feel they do either.  I'll definitely be babying them to keep these luscious cups looking nice.

I always wore my first set everywhere and had the "bestskinsever" es7 clear protectors on them.
My current set has 7 coats polyurethane and so it's glossy as all hell and no worries about scratches anymore but even if they did get scratched somehow I can just open them up again for spaying more polyurethane on them haha!

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #418 of 787
Ok I tried many combinations of wasteful time trying to out-do both Audio Technica and Germania..
Not possible.
Best sounds are both stock & "germania mod"

I have two esw9 I played with.
I compared to stock and also used es700 and to w3000anv as reference points for livelyness & musicality.

So to compare stock to modded,
Using even a mono source I was able to notice a separation of instrument depth and more timbre and liveliness with the mod.

Problem is striking the balance in sound when using the foam, as it can get either muddier or thin when modding.
I would say its enough improvement to say its an upgrade or step up.

I will post details soon and reason I have not is because I want to be sure it is tuned best and came to realization that Audio Technica original signature is best(liveliest) on this specific driver,
so had to match this signature with the mod & not go for a esw10 type of sound posted in that old thread..

Right now I have stock and modded side by side, and both are sweet but "modded"(!) wins being truley more spacious, less flat & more musical in center of mids, highlighting the wooden tone.
:) .

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #420 of 787
.... Ok details coming..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back