Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Jul 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #376 of 787
If anyone's looking for some cheap new ESW9's there are two left here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300928981263

Yes it's ebay, but it's from an authorized US dealer. I'm assuming "factory repack" means they just got scuffed up and repacked... not that they were used and returned and refurbished.

Anyway I just bought a pair... looking forward to getting them.

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #377 of 787
I havent used my ATH-ESW9 much since i bought the ATH-ES10 (with ESW11 leather pads) - probably new toy syndrome.
The ATH-ESW9 are still great phones.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #379 of 787
Quote:
I havent used my ATH-ESW9 much since i bought the ATH-ES10 (with ESW11 leather pads) - probably new toy syndrome.
The ATH-ESW9 are still great phones.

I use my es10 or ed8 when i know i am going to be listening, but keep a backup player and the esw9 in a hard case in my car.  It goes with me because you never know when the opportunity will present itself, and it actually does more often than you would expect.  It comes in very handy just riding waiting mile after mile for that surprise time.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #380 of 787
I got mine today, and I'm happy with what I got. They look amazing. I must say, the overall sound quality is pretty good. They particularly excel with songs containing guitars and pianos, you can almost taste the lushness. The bass has a presence. Some of the vocals get a little flat, but i can live. Wondering when my appetite will hit and I will go hunting for my next upgrade haha

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #381 of 787
Jul 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #382 of 787
Quote:
This is same seller I purchased mine, look new & great price
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh cool... did you get them yet?

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #383 of 787
I recently got a pair of these and found they pair especially well with my Tera player as described here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/658495/altmann-tera-player-impressions-reviews-discussion/795#post_9572129

I liked them so much, I got another used pair and plan on having one set recabled with a Plussound silver/gold cable. However the second pair sound slightly different even when both still have the original cable. I would say the second pair are a bit brighter and clearer with a more sparkly top end. The difference is slight, but it is there. The first pair have a warmer signature that is even a little muddy sometimes.

The second pair might be more broken in than the first, and I was wondering if anyone has noticed how much these change with break-in. Do the higher frequencies become more pronounced when they have more hours on them? Or is it likely that this is just a variation in the two headphones I have?

Edit: I just found out the second pair have only 15-20 hours, and the first pair have over 100 hours. So maybe instead of more higher frequencies, they warm up a bit with break in and I am hearing the increased warmth in the first pair. Anyone notice a change in theirs after 100 hours or so?

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #384 of 787
No usually the sound gets more detailed and bass tighter with burn in.
The difference you are hearing I believe is that there were two variations of esw9 as my old pair was more recessed and flabby bass. The newer set is more detailed with deep tighter bass and more trebles. I sold the old pair but recently purchased and awaiting another pair to compare my now modded pair.
The sound is very seductive makes your ears thirst for them.
My experience so far is that they can sound bigger if modded but the stock sound is "tuned" with the fiberglass to have an excellent sound as is,
But need burn in to get the details.
I am experiencing unnoticed details with them not because of an actual increase, but because of how it gives life and body to the details..

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #385 of 787
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I bought both pairs used, but they are still fairly new so I would guess they are both the newer versions. And the difference in sound is incredibly slight, so I do not think there is anything wrong with either pair. I can make myself crazy trying to sort out what I am hearing, and then the next day, my preference will shift and what sounded better will now sound worse.

I like how you said that these headphones give life and body to the details. That may be what I am hearing in the warmer pair that is more broken in. I actually like the sound of the pair with over 100 hours on them better. It is a smoother and less fatiguing sound, and still has plenty of detail. My only criticism of these phones overall is that they can sound a bit congested on large scale music, which is maybe why I said the sound sometimes seemed a little muddy.. Maybe that is just the nature of closed cans. Otherwise, I love the sound of them.

Anyways, I sent the more broken in pair off to be recabled and meanwhile I will see how the other pair settles in. It will be interesting to see how a silver/gold cable affects the sound.

Edit added: I had been listening on my portable setup (Tera-Tralucent T1) and I just went back to listening to the ESW9 through my desktop setup (Tera-TDS202 Sound Enhancer-iCAN amp) and there is no congestion or muddiness in that setup. The combination of the TDS and the iCAN makes for a incredibly clear and open sound with great instrument separation. I keep hoping I will find a portable setup that sounds as good, but in the meantime, these phones sound very good with my desktop rig.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #386 of 787
The person who sold me the second pair also suggested there might be a factor of the earpads being more broken in to my ears and head on the first pair. So there might be an acoustical difference also. I did notice that the second pair felt different on my ears, so maybe there is something to that theory.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #387 of 787
Just got my factory repack pair from ebay. I was expecting them to be a bit scuffed up but they're in perfect condition. Awesome deal for new ESW9's at $150.

Anyway... a bit disappointed with the sound, but I'm sure that will improve with burn in. They still sound great now though... at least to me, but I'm far from an audiophile.

I thought I may find them uncomfortable considering they're over ear, but I think they're extremely comfortable. Surprisingly more so than my Denon AH-D1001's, which are over-ear. I have a bit of a small head though.

Time to re-cable.

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #388 of 787
I like these so much with my Tera>TDS202>iCAN setup that I sold my HD650s. These are amazing headphones with the right source and amp, and they also sound very good with my portable Tralucent amp. Nice to find one headphone that works for both my desktop and portable setups, especially since I do not like iems.

You can read more about the iCAN (and the TDS202) in my review of the iCAN: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #389 of 787
I did try the ES10, it really wasn't my cup of tea. the mids on the ESW9 is still the best part
the es10 had a livelier overall sound but the esw9 has better mids to me as well.
Although I don't really feel they are comparable.
The es10 is an impressive forward sound like the es700,
While the esw9 in comparison, is more neutral to almost laid back with more natural presentation as well as giving "air" to the mids..

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #390 of 787
Woohoo two sets esw9 glossed up first coat!
:)
Woohoo done!
Left pair glossy & right pair mattle glossy! :)
Look!

Gloss!.. 7coats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back