Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Aug 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #421 of 787
So I like my ATH w1000k Grandiosio, and I'm wondering if the Esw9a is anything like it, I the size of the esw9a, I'm just wondering how closed to stock it will sound like the w1000x which for me out of tubes was a little to warm, although I feel that with a Solid State amp it should be plenty clean enough with good mids non the less... and the breaking hinge should not b to big an issue. I'm not a very active person per say, pc electronics and a wal mart break room are about as far as i'll b using them 

still any comparisons with it's bigger brother? 

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #422 of 787
Quote:
So I like my ATH w1000k Grandiosio, and I'm wondering if the Esw9a is anything like it, I the size of the esw9a, I'm just wondering how closed to stock it will sound like the w1000x which for me out of tubes was a little to warm, although I feel that with a Solid State amp it should be plenty clean enough with good mids non the less... and the breaking hinge should not b to big an issue. I'm not a very active person per say, pc electronics and a wal mart break room are about as far as i'll b using them 

still any comparisons with it's bigger brother? 

Probably not, I have the ESW9 and the HD650 and for all intents and purposes it sounds almost exactly the same. Now unless the W1000X sounds like the HD650 then they won't be similar

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #424 of 787
Quote:
Probably not, I have the ESW9 and the HD650 and for all intents and purposes it sounds almost exactly the same. Now unless the W1000X sounds like the HD650 then they won't be similar

I agree with you there, the HD 650 is a darker can is it not
Quote:
I read a review of W1000x on Headfonia and the guy said it's definitely more refined than ESW9A which is given with the price difference. The frequency response of the two look quite the similar so perhaps they have same sonic characteristics.

Well the biggest issue is I've modded my w1000x, so it's even more refined than stock... hell the first thing I did to my w1000x was switch to L3000k, pads which tightened it up THEN I did a Dynamat mod to tighten it up again... so that being said I do think the ESW9A might sound too muddy for me xD... 

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #425 of 787
Quote:

yup, while the ESW9 is flat in the mids, the HD650 has a mid bass hump which adds a little more thickness/lushness (or darkness) to the mids

I would love to have a go at the W1000X but all my friends who have tried it said it's not the sound i'm looking for.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #426 of 787
Quote:
yup, while the ESW9 is flat in the mids, the HD650 has a mid bass hump which adds a little more thickness/lushness (or darkness) to the mids

I would love to have a go at the W1000X but all my friends who have tried it said it's not the sound i'm looking for.

It might not be or it could be, personally mine was TO thick so I modded it to Lean it up and Tighten her down [while still keeping those sexy wooden mids] 

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #427 of 787
Well the biggest issue is I've modded my w1000x, so it's even more refined than stock... hell the first thing I did to my w1000x was switch to L3000k, pads which tightened it up THEN I did a Dynamat mod to tighten it up again... so that being said I do think the ESW9A might sound too muddy for me xD... 

But but, just remember this is probably the closest you can get with a portable that sounds somewhat like a W1000X while still retaining the wood sound unless you get one of its siblings like the esw10 or 11. (the other two I haven't heard) I need to listen to the W1000X again, I remember I like them when I heard them, plus they look really nice in person vs pics, makes the wood on the esw9 looks cheap in comparison.

If you don't need portable then I wouldnt get the esw9 unless you just want to hear it

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #428 of 787
Quote:
But but, just remember this is probably the closest you can get with a portable that sounds somewhat like a W1000X while still retaining the wood sound unless you get one of its siblings like the esw10 or 11. (the other two I haven't heard) I need to listen to the W1000X again, I remember I like them when I heard them, plus they look really nice in person vs pics, makes the wood on the esw9 looks cheap in comparison.

If you don't need portable then I would get the esw9 unless you just want to hear it

yea I carry full size cans in public lol.  But my w1000x are too... PRECIOUS and pretty to be carried around in public. I don't want to risk them getting JACKED. Something like a K550 looks nice but not as expensive. Some one see's that nice wood... ROB THAT MAN, some one sees cheap Chinese Plastic... FIND THE GUY WITH THE WOOD CANS lol

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #429 of 787
haha true that!  the k550 would be pretty nice as it would be farther away from the sound of the W1000X. im seriously consider moving away from portable and packing me some full size for use in public as i dont really use headphone in public a lot. if people can carry boombox in public back in the 80's i think i can deal with some full size cans. 
L3000.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #430 of 787
Quote:
haha true that!  the k550 would be pretty nice as it would be farther away from the sound of the W1000X. im seriously consider moving away from portable and packing me some full size for use in public as i dont really use headphone in public a lot. if people can carry boombox in public back in the 80's i think i can deal with some full size cans. 
L3000.gif

Yea most definatly, trust me i carried around Giant XB 700's in public, on my worst day those cans still started some meaningful conversation! 

And the K550 should sound like my Dt 880, a few ppl have confirmed that! [But ofc with a closed back "flare" to it] 

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #431 of 787
Hey guys, the headband padding of my ESW9 is slowly peeling off. Currently it's only noticeable when you take a hard look at it, but to those who have owned this for a long time, did you do anything to preserve or even fix it? I know the question sounds weird since this is bound to happen with daily use but just want to hear your opinions.
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #432 of 787
I peeled mine completely off.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #434 of 787
I know there is numerous headphones out there that provide different strengths and flavors but I am still amazed at how great the stock ESW9 sounds regardless of the source I use wether it is HM801, Tera, iphone 4, or straight into my Macbook!!!
I would say at $150 (refurb), these are the best money I ever spent on headphones as far as versatility and pure simple enjoyment factors.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #435 of 787
Quote:
I know there is numerous headphones out there that provide different strengths and flavors but I am still amazed at how great the stock ESW9 sounds regardless of the source I use wether it is HM801, Tera, iphone 4, or straight into my Macbook!!!
I would say at $150 (refurb), these are the best money I ever spent on headphones as far as versatility and pure simple enjoyment factors.

Agree'd the AT W series is a real winner! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back