Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Apr 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #287 of 873

Quote:
BTW, minor cosmetic gripe that I noticed when I got these. Do the 3D wings for anyone else sit unevenly? It's not noticeable while wearing them, but just something I noticed while looking things over.

Both 3D wings appear to be EXACTLY the same in angle. Meaning they're both SLIGHTLY angled in one direction. But because these wings are on opposite sides we have this slight unevenness.

This is purely cosmetic. They sound excellent. :)

My AD1000PRM has exactly wing position like your cans, the left wing seems has "higher" position

Perhaps they did that for purpose?

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #288 of 873

Quote:
Well...I will be joining this club in a week or so. Thanks Erik.

Enjoy. I am sad to see them go. I do love my new HD800, but the AD2000 also has a special something that cannot be replaced. It will surely cause me to buy another pair eventually. Or at least try another Audio-Technica headphone. They've got a great sound.

Selling it helped me fund my upgrade from a Gilmore Lite w/ DPS to a GS-1. I look forward to your impressions. Wouldn't mind taking them back if you decide they are not for you. :wink:

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #289 of 873
i received the AD2000 today.  i've never had a HP that smelled like a new pair of sneakers out of the box.  i've only been able to listen to them for a couple of hours thus far.  they're a bit clampy on the head brand new - hopefully comfort will improve with head time.

initial impressions:  these HPs are faster than feck.  they can make sense out of complex material with ease.  the transient attack is impressive without artificial etch.  timbre is impressive. a very detailed HP.  they don't poke me in eye or sound bloated.  i'll post some more impressions after i've had more time to evaluate.  thus far, they're at least as good as my modded Fostex T50RP, but offering a different perspective into the music. 

a few of my fav test discs on rotation tonight...

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #290 of 873

Quote:
Enjoy. I am sad to see them go. I do love my new HD800, but the AD2000 also has a special something that cannot be replaced. It will surely cause me to buy another pair eventually. Or at least try another Audio-Technica headphone. They've got a great sound.

Selling it helped me fund my upgrade from a Gilmore Lite w/ DPS to a GS-1. I look forward to your impressions. Wouldn't mind taking them back if you decide they are not for you. :wink:

There's something about Audio Technica's that make me feel fuzzy and enjoy music like no other headphone I've listened to. The Ad2000 are absolutely perfect for me in almost every regard. If I want something more airy I still have my Ad900 though.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #292 of 873
Sorry for the silly question but would these sound decent out of a Cowon J3 unamped? I'm still trying to get the hang of impedance and the sensitivity of headphones, and from what I understand, the J3 should be able to drive headphones that requires high impedance.

I keep reading about how everyone seems to use these high-end headphones with amps, and I worry I might be losing out on something if these cans are driven straight through the Cowon, which is causing me to hesitate in getting them. They do sound like what I am searching for though and I am extremely tempted by them. Lol.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #293 of 873
People will say they are easy to drive-but I will also tell you they can be picky too. I thought they sounded outright awful out of a Fiio E9, but sounded absolutely amazing out of my C-2 SA. Having a great source will do wonders for these as well-they scale VERY well (see the Zana owners for instance). Long story short-make sure your rig is up to snuff with these AT's!

-Daniel

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #294 of 873
Also, the AD2000 are low impedance, so technically you can drive them from a portable player no problem. I'm currently using mine with a Cowon X7 while I'm in between DACs/amps. I haven't heard them out of any high end electronics, but it's not like they sound bad this way. At least not in any way that should stop you from buying them IMO. In all honesty, I think the Cowon actually sounds better than my Matrix Cube. I'd take AD2000s out of a Cowon over lesser headphones out of a good amp any day.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #296 of 873

Quote:
Thanks! :) Seems like they'll do fine without an amp for now.

I've always heard the AD2000 being praised for female vocals, but how do they fare with deep male vocals?

They are okay, but its not their forte. The thing about female vocals with the AD2000 is that they have a tremendous sense of breath and air. For the deep, authoritative male vocals they are only so so - in those cases I prefer something like the Z1000 or even the Pro700MK2. Nevertheless they are by no means bad; they will just lack a similar emotive quality as they do with female vocals.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #297 of 873
AD2000 definitely not require mosntrous power to drive them. But when we talk about amp, there're always about two things: quality and quantity.

So yeah, sure we can enjoy them straight from our DAP, but plug them to good desktop set up, and they will scale up.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #298 of 873
AD2000 out of a fast solid state amp that have ample power... You know you wanted to!

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #299 of 873
About the build quality on the AD2000s I think I can answer a few questions. I have had mine for almost 3 years now. I have washed the pads at least twice a year and they still look brand new even the wings are in perfect condition. These have been put in my backpack for portable trips to my parents and have seen a lot of wear and tear. I mainly used this with a LD I+ hybrid amp and it paired very well with it. I think the first thing that will wear on this headphone are the earpads themselves.

I have since gotten into planar phones like the he-5le and he-6 since and still cannot part with these as a (trans)portable headphone. They really do not need an amp at all, but with all headphones it does help.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #300 of 873
I have packed my AD900s in my suitcase - the one that gets thrown around by baggage handlers - and unpacked them overseas with no sign of damage and no impact on sound quality. Not sure that I'd be willing to do the same with $1500+ cans, but there you have it - the wing design is durable and, for me, comfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back