Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Apr 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #301 of 873

Quote:
About the build quality on the AD2000s I think I can answer a few questions. I have had mine for almost 3 years now. I have washed the pads at least twice a year and they still look brand new even the wings are in perfect condition. These have been put in my backpack for portable trips to my parents and have seen a lot of wear and tear. I mainly used this with a LD I+ hybrid amp and it paired very well with it. I think the first thing that will wear on this headphone are the earpads themselves.

I have since gotten into planar phones like the he-5le and he-6 since and still cannot part with these as a (trans)portable headphone. They really do not need an amp at all, but with all headphones it does help.

Quote:
I have packed my AD900s in my suitcase - the one that gets thrown around by baggage handlers - and unpacked them overseas with no sign of damage and no impact on sound quality. Not sure that I'd be willing to do the same with $1500+ cans, but there you have it - the wing design is durable and, for me, comfortable. 

Hmm. Even if I knew they would survive I wouldn't dare : P Being shocked around like that might not damage the frame, but it may be enough to break the solder connections on the internal wiring with enough transit.

ONa  related topic, does anyone know of any not too bulky cases that would fit the AD2000? Something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Headphone-Case-AKG-K-242-HD-K242-K-272-HD-K272-/251031847824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72aa0390

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #302 of 873
i received the AD2000 today.  i've never had a HP that smelled like a new pair of sneakers out of the box.  i've only been able to listen to them for a couple of hours thus far.  they're a bit clampy on the head brand new - hopefully comfort will improve with head time.

initial impressions:  these HPs are faster than feck.  they can make sense out of complex material with ease.  the transient attack is impressive without artificial etch.  timbre is impressive. a very detailed HP.  they don't poke me in eye or sound bloated.  i'll post some more impressions after i've had more time to evaluate.  thus far, they're at least as good as my modded Fostex T50RP, but offering a different perspective into the music. 

a few of my fav test discs on rotation tonight...

Congrats, I do missed them. Hopefully I will get them back in the future, how do you think they will sound of my beta22?

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #303 of 873
Sorry for the silly question but would these sound decent out of a Cowon J3 unamped? I'm still trying to get the hang of impedance and the sensitivity of headphones, and from what I understand, the J3 should be able to drive headphones that requires high impedance.

I keep reading about how everyone seems to use these high-end headphones with amps, and I worry I might be losing out on something if these cans are driven straight through the Cowon, which is causing me to hesitate in getting them. They do sound like what I am searching for though and I am extremely tempted by them. Lol.
I've listened to them out of my iPod and thought they sounded good enough in comparison to my O2 amp. They don't require power really, a cleaner DAC makes a much bigger difference in my experiences.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #304 of 873
I received my AD-2000 from Erik. Everything sounds great, but the only gripe I have against the AD-2000, is that the headphone is a little bit tight on my head.

I was expecting the comfort level to be similar to my AD-700, but it's more like my M-50. Not complaining, but it looks like I need some time to get used to it.

Thanks Eric!

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #305 of 873

Quote:
Congrats, I do missed them. Hopefully I will get them back in the future, how do you think they will sound of my beta22?

as a MOT i have to tread carefully.  i'll email you later.  yes, these are special cans.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #306 of 873
I received my AD-2000 from Erik. Everything sounds great, but the only gripe I have against the AD-2000, is that the headphone is a little bit tight on my head.

I was expecting the comfort level to be similar to my AD-700, but it's more like my M-50. Not complaining, but it looks like I need some time to get used to it.

Thanks Eric!

You can bend the headphone outward a little bit for a better fit. Glad you're liking them otherwise. :)

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #307 of 873
One thing I'm impressed with these is the presentation of the music. The soundstage is more intimate than the Ad900, but at the same time everything has better separation, depth, and imaging. The sound is very 3-d from these and I love it.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #308 of 873

Quote:
One thing I'm impressed with these is the presentation of the music. The soundstage is more intimate than the Ad900, but at the same time everything has better separation, depth, and imaging. The sound is very 3-d from these and I love it.

Aye. The AD900's soundstage sounds smeared across a wider plane in comparison.

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #310 of 873
It's called the phatpad mod (I think), you can stuff silicone tubing under the earpads to keep the drivers from touching your ears. Originally for the W5000 (I think). I used 5/16" tubing (I think--hey it's been awhile!). You should be able to find out more about it by researching the W5000.

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #311 of 873

Quote:
One thing I'm impressed with these is the presentation of the music... The sound is very 3-d from these and I love it.

x2.  it sounds like music.  real people playing in real time.  it's the best compliment i can give.  i know it's a cliche, but i've been rediscovering my music collection.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #312 of 873
I might leave the club and rejoin at a later time because of the HD800
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back