Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Mar 22, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #271 of 873
Aside from a minor comfort issue, I absolutely love these headphones. These are the first headphones I don't feel I have to EQ the crap out of to get them to sound good. They just sound right--they make music. Any feelings of transducer-related upgraditis have been eradicated for the foreseeable future. Eventually I'd like to try some of the limited edition AT woodies, but I'm in no rush.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #272 of 873
BTW, minor cosmetic gripe that I noticed when I got these. Do the 3D wings for anyone else sit unevenly? It's not noticeable while wearing them, but just something I noticed while looking things over.

Both 3D wings appear to be EXACTLY the same in angle. Meaning they're both SLIGHTLY angled in one direction. But because these wings are on opposite sides we have this slight unevenness.

This is purely cosmetic. They sound excellent. :)

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #273 of 873
Lets call a spade a spade - with the exception of various Stax models and the K1000, there arent too many headphones that make you look as dorky as the AD series. I dont have a problem with the wings, largely because I rarely catch my reflection when I'm wearing my cans. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #274 of 873
The wings feel fine on my head. Just thought that a 600+ dollar headphone should have the wings actually even.

By no means a real issue but something a guy like me notices. Still loving the sound. :)

I also do not find the AD2000 that goofy. It's not the nicest looking headphone, but it's not the worst. I'd put it in the middle.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #275 of 873
Audio Technicas have always been the most beautiful headphones to me. 
L3000.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #277 of 873
They are almost completely weightless compared to the other open headphones I have tried. Still need to get my hands on a HD800 to see how they compare.

My Gilmore Lite + DPS should be here Monday. :)

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #279 of 873

Quote:
Something to their build, much lighter than today's big, heavy flagships.

Exactly. Anyone here read the threads about cracking headbands on the Audeze cans and various expensive Senn models ? QA issues on the HiFiMan orthos ? The wire frame on the AD series reminds me of the simple construction used in Grado phones - people can insult the 'cheap look' all they want, but its rugged and it lasts. I've also spent a lot of time trawling old threads looking for optimal amp pairings for the AD900/AD2K - sure, they are fine from a portable player but an amp really lights these big cans up. AD2K and a pair of RS1s and I'm willing to walk away from Head-Fi. (did I mention a better source, better HPA, a power amp and a pair of decent speakers ?). It never ends.  
confused_face.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #280 of 873
Yea, the AD2000 is definitely well built. I am not sure about the long term durability on the wings, but if I keep these long enough time will tell. :)

The lightness is great. I do like nice looking headphones, but in the end it does not really matter. Especially because these are open. I will not be using them anywhere except my home. They don't need to impress anyone with their style.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #281 of 873
Quote:
I rarely catch my reflection when I'm wearing my cans. 

I can see most full size 'phones out of the corner of my eye when I'm wearing them.  That still doesn't make me worry about looks too much...

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #283 of 873

Quote:
Audio Technicas have always been the most beautiful headphones to me. 
L3000.gif

Same! Still I rarely care about the looks as headphones I tend to wear in personal usage situations in-which looks don't matter.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #284 of 873
It's taken me a while to get a handle on the soundstage, but after struggling for so long to try to understand what I've been hearing, I think I finally get what's going on. With other headphones I've had, you can always tell that they are there. In other words, you can tell that there are two drivers on the sides of your head and they are making sound. With the AD2000, the headphones seem to "disappear." The music just kind of sounds like it's floating in the air around my head. Maybe that's why it's called the "Air" series? 
atsmile.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #285 of 873

Quote:
It's taken me a while to get a handle on the soundstage, but after struggling for so long to try to understand what I've been hearing, I think I finally get what's going on. With other headphones I've had, you can always tell that they are there. In other words, you can tell that there are two drivers on the sides of your head and they are making sound. With the AD2000, the headphones seem to "disappear." The music just kind of sounds like it's floating in the air around my head. Maybe that's why it's called the "Air" series? 
atsmile.gif

I've experienced this while...inebriated, and it blew my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back