Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Jul 8, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #871 of 873
I had the Asgard 3 but I do think the Jot 2 is a good step up from it. The Asgard is less dynamic and softer. I have heard great things about the Burson Soloist but I never heard anyone pair it with the AD2000 (until today:wink:). How is the bass on the AD2000 with the Burson?
Actually the AD2000 bass is one of my favorites on the Soloist, the ATH AD line works better with the Soloist normal mode, with the poweramp mode the soloist is more upfront with the bass, bass is more present, but it loses the "magic" of the normal mode (Keep in mind ALL The ATH closed headphones sound better with poweramp mode, it's the opposite!)

AD2000 has decent bass quality, but comparing to AD2000X and modded a1000z I found it lacking some quality in some songs, with Soloist 3XP and stock PSU AD2000 sounds very good but it still gave me the feeling that the quality was lacking a little in comparison, but with the Supercharger and a DDC I have basically my bass complaints disappear.

It ends having more bass quantity than AD2000X ,AD1000X , ad900x /more upfront/frontal bass, without losing quality, and at least for me, the quantity is spot on, the sense of speed, dynamics and is very nice, with good pads AD2000X is as fast as AD2000( people have used ad2000x with the "old" pads, there was a revision around 2021), but since AD2000 has more bass quantity than 2000x/1000x , the sense of speed and hits can be more appreciated or surprises me more than other Audio technicas.

Before the Soloist 3XP Combo , My AD2000 was rarely used because My 2000X was modded in a way it greatly improved it stock forms be it the old or new pads, but after trying it with the soloist+supercharger now I finally was able to enjoy AD2000 lol, the spotlight compared to the other open audio technicas is the bass frontality, it is significantly warmer than the others.

Now ad2000 is one of my favorite headphones xD , I can't tell you "it will be better than anything or it is perfect" because I have not tried a lot of amps, but this is significantly better than what I have tried , The sense of speed, dynamics, body, bass control/tightness is really nice, basically with all the other gear the AD2000 was lacking VS 2000X bass tightness, that was the problem since I love the A/B test lol.

The BF2 Is ideal for the Soloist, about JOT2, I don't think you are missing a lot in bass quantity and punch since both Asgard and Jot2 have nice punch(amazing for the price), an upgrade will be more bass detail but the most important thing is that instead of losing Air, the Soloist will improve AD2000 Clarity, detail, transparency, the instruments will sound significantly more impressive without sounding thin( I don't have my topping anymore but for example AD2000X sounded very thin there).

The thing about the " good measurement" amps that you may have heard/read is usually transparency, clarity, but they end being no upgrade in soundstage over other gear, they usually sound thin and may lack musicaltiy.

With Jot 2 and Asgard 3 you get significantly more punch over them, more stage size and 3D sound, for me, what they do is more enjoyable than what the "measurement amps" do, but these amps can be somewhat less clear or resolutive than those amps(but like I said, at least for me, overall better).

With the Soloist 3xp and ATH AD it's like you get the Clarity, transparency , resolution of those "clean sounding amps(btw they are not clean sounding just because measurements lol)" but with the Soundstage of Asgard/Jot2 and even better because it shows you more layers, and it ends being significantly more impressive, the soloist can unpack more detail and resolution than amps like A90,SP400 specially with the supercharger, it's like the best of both worlds but better.

Keep in mind the Soloist does not sound as impressive with ALL audio technicas, it is mostly the AD Line, the R70X sounds good though

Also keep in mind I don't say this is the perfect amp for ad2000, That Eddie Studio B Synergy gets my attention xD. x4 the soloist price lol, also the Quicksilver HPÁ could be very good

If you have more questions I can help if you need it xD

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #872 of 873
Actually the AD2000 bass is one of my favorites on the Soloist, the ATH AD line works better with the Soloist normal mode, with the poweramp mode the soloist is more upfront with the bass, bass is more present, but it loses the "magic" of the normal mode (Keep in mind ALL The ATH closed headphones sound better with poweramp mode, it's the opposite!)

AD2000 has decent bass quality, but comparing to AD2000X and modded a1000z I found it lacking some quality in some songs, with Soloist 3XP and stock PSU AD2000 sounds very good but it still gave me the feeling that the quality was lacking a little in comparison, but with the Supercharger and a DDC I have basically my bass complaints disappear.

It ends having more bass quantity than AD2000X ,AD1000X , ad900x /more upfront/frontal bass, without losing quality, and at least for me, the quantity is spot on, the sense of speed, dynamics and is very nice, with good pads AD2000X is as fast as AD2000( people have used ad2000x with the "old" pads, there was a revision around 2021), but since AD2000 has more bass quantity than 2000x/1000x , the sense of speed and hits can be more appreciated or surprises me more than other Audio technicas.

Before the Soloist 3XP Combo , My AD2000 was rarely used because My 2000X was modded in a way it greatly improved it stock forms be it the old or new pads, but after trying it with the soloist+supercharger now I finally was able to enjoy AD2000 lol, the spotlight compared to the other open audio technicas is the bass frontality, it is significantly warmer than the others.

Now ad2000 is one of my favorite headphones xD , I can't tell you "it will be better than anything or it is perfect" because I have not tried a lot of amps, but this is significantly better than what I have tried , The sense of speed, dynamics, body, bass control/tightness is really nice, basically with all the other gear the AD2000 was lacking VS 2000X bass tightness, that was the problem since I love the A/B test lol.

The BF2 Is ideal for the Soloist, about JOT2, I don't think you are missing a lot in bass quantity and punch since both Asgard and Jot2 have nice punch(amazing for the price), an upgrade will be more bass detail but the most important thing is that instead of losing Air, the Soloist will improve AD2000 Clarity, detail, transparency, the instruments will sound significantly more impressive without sounding thin( I don't have my topping anymore but for example AD2000X sounded very thin there).

The thing about the " good measurement" amps that you may have heard/read is usually transparency, clarity, but they end being no upgrade in soundstage over other gear, they usually sound thin and may lack musicaltiy.

With Jot 2 and Asgard 3 you get significantly more punch over them, more stage size and 3D sound, for me, what they do is more enjoyable than what the "measurement amps" do, but these amps can be somewhat less clear or resolutive than those amps(but like I said, at least for me, overall better).

With the Soloist 3xp and ATH AD it's like you get the Clarity, transparency , resolution of those "clean sounding amps(btw they are not clean sounding just because measurements lol)" but with the Soundstage of Asgard/Jot2 and even better because it shows you more layers, and it ends being significantly more impressive, the soloist can unpack more detail and resolution than amps like A90,SP400 specially with the supercharger, it's like the best of both worlds but better.

Keep in mind the Soloist does not sound as impressive with ALL audio technicas, it is mostly the AD Line, the R70X sounds good though

Also keep in mind I don't say this is the perfect amp for ad2000, That Eddie Studio B Synergy gets my attention xD. x4 the soloist price lol, also the Quicksilver HPÁ could be very good

If you have more questions I can help if you need it xD

This was so much of detail, thank you! I have also read that the Zana Deux can be amazing with the AD2000, allegedly a match made in heaven, but that's pretty expensive. You are right about the Jotunheim and Asgard, they have excellent punch, particularly the Jotunheim. The Jotunheim's tonality matches very well with the AD2000. But the staging/layering and air is nothing special. It sounds like the Burson is an even better match though! I will be on the lookout for a cheaper Burson Soloist, they pop up on Ebay all the time. The AD2000 and ZMF Auteur are my two favorite headphones. They are very different obviously. ZMF is a much better all-rounder but the AD2000 provides that intense crunch for hard rock that I love. Both are great for rock music, just in different ways. The best parts of both headphones are the mids and the tonality, but they are very different from each other. The ZMF has the most natural tone I have ever heard whereas the AD2000 has an appealing unnatural tone which makes it excel with certain music.

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #873 of 873
This was so much of detail, thank you! I have also read that the Zana Deux can be amazing with the AD2000, allegedly a match made in heaven, but that's pretty expensive. You are right about the Jotunheim and Asgard, they have excellent punch, particularly the Jotunheim. The Jotunheim's tonality matches very well with the AD2000. But the staging/layering and air is nothing special. It sounds like the Burson is an even better match though! I will be on the lookout for a cheaper Burson Soloist, they pop up on Ebay all the time. The AD2000 and ZMF Auteur are my two favorite headphones. They are very different obviously. ZMF is a much better all-rounder but the AD2000 provides that intense crunch for hard rock that I love. Both are great for rock music, just in different ways. The best parts of both headphones are the mids and the tonality, but they are very different from each other. The ZMF has the most natural tone I have ever heard whereas the AD2000 has an appealing unnatural tone which makes it excel with certain music.
This is the first time I hear about the Zana Deux, there are a lot of amps , it can be Extremely hard to find the "Best" option, lol.
It would be interesting if there was an Amp Synergy comparison for ATH AD AD2000/X .
But $$$$$$$$ :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back