Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Dec 1, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #841 of 873
It's always nice when you run into an album that perfectly suits a pair of headphones, as if they were meant for each other. Well, here's one for the AD2000:

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #842 of 873
Jan 6, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #843 of 873
Has anyone had any luck pairing these with an OTL tube amp or similar?

I'm at my parents' right now, and I've left my mom a Little Dot MkII to power her HD600s. Just tried to the ATH-AD2000 with it, and it doesn't sound good per se. It loses to my Atom miserably on detail, and there's a kind of screamy quality in the upper mids with some recordings, but I can't help but feeling like there's something there, like My Bloody Valentine sounds fantastic. I'm thinking of getting an OTL amp (not just for these), but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Woo WA6 might be good...? Don't really know where to start, or if it could even pan out. I see Zana Deux mentioned a lot, but it's way outside my budget.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #844 of 873
Has anyone had any luck pairing these with an OTL tube amp or similar?

I'm at my parents' right now, and I've left my mom a Little Dot MkII to power her HD600s. Just tried to the ATH-AD2000 with it, and it doesn't sound good per se. It loses to my Atom miserably on detail, and there's a kind of screamy quality in the upper mids with some recordings, but I can't help but feeling like there's something there, like My Bloody Valentine sounds fantastic. I'm thinking of getting an OTL amp (not just for these), but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Woo WA6 might be good...? Don't really know where to start, or if it could even pan out. I see Zana Deux mentioned a lot, but it's way outside my budget.
You will want a low impedance OTL,like the GOTL. Pop some 6336 tubes in there and you can drive the AD2000s and planars as well. Most OTLs cant do that.

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #845 of 873
I drive my AD2000 straight from my 10ohm output impedance Burson Swing.

Sounds very good to me. Wouldn't bother with tubes, low impedance OTL is super pricy. Bleh

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #846 of 873
Lately I've been on a classical guitar music kick since I've been playing guitar again. Going through the headphone collection just taking a listen, and completely forgot how good these headphones are for this type of music thanks to the speed keeping up with the artists. :gs1000smile:

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #849 of 873
I hope because of the discomfort and not the sound :s :s. Heresy

both, elevated treble and mids, while not sibilant is full of energy and details which makes it a painful listen, along with the force of the clamp - just nope. No bass too. I have heard and enjoyed many bright cans, just not this one.

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #851 of 873
The highlight are the mids which should be to die for, if it is a genuine non-broken AD2000 hehe. Better than HD600/HD650 mids.

Yeah that was what I had - a fully functional Ad2000 which is cold and unemotional against the HD650. It just want to present mids in the most forward and technical manner which subtracts musicality. As if the Shuoer Tapes were not grating enough, the AD2000 sounds partially like that. I just didn’t enjoy them - I am glad that you do.

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #852 of 873
Yeah that was what I had - a fully functional Ad2000 which is cold and unemotional against the HD650. It just want to present mids in the most forward and technical manner which subtracts musicality. As if the Shuoer Tapes were not grating enough, the AD2000 sounds partially like that. I just didn’t enjoy them - I am glad that you do.
I'm likewise sad yours isn't doing it for you :)

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #853 of 873
The AD2000x sounds more resolved and balanced, fixes the problems of the older AD2000 which assaults my ears. And the R70x is just so smooth and natural while being neutral at the same time.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #855 of 873
Hey guys, does anyone have any experience taking apart the AD2000? I recently snagged myself a pair, but there's some debris inside the grill that I can't reach. I've gotten as far as taking the screws off the baffle, but haven't been able to get any further. Nothing seems to have any give to come apart and I've been having a hard time finding any disassembly guides online for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back