Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #856 of 873
Hey guys, does anyone have any experience taking apart the AD2000? I recently snagged myself a pair, but there's some debris inside the grill that I can't reach. I've gotten as far as taking the screws off the baffle, but haven't been able to get any further. Nothing seems to have any give to come apart and I've been having a hard time finding any disassembly guides online for these.

If it was just debris inside the grid, why didn't you just use your household vacuum cleaner sucking those debris through the grid?

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #857 of 873
If it was just debris inside the grid, why didn't you just use your household vacuum cleaner sucking those debris through the grid?
Not exactly sure how it ended up in the grill, but it's larger than the grill holes so it can't really go through.

EDIT: Figured it out! Just had to push the grill while holding the top of the earcups, where the swivel joint is.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #858 of 873
Hey guys, does anyone have any experience taking apart the AD2000? I recently snagged myself a pair, but there's some debris inside the grill that I can't reach. I've gotten as far as taking the screws off the baffle, but haven't been able to get any further. Nothing seems to have any give to come apart and I've been having a hard time finding any disassembly guides online for these.
Do you mean the back grilles? You have to go from the other side and remove the baffle with the driver in it. It'll come out like a whole piece.

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #859 of 873
Only headphone I know that is both on ear and over ear at the same time.
So hard to find a pair? Anyone want to let theirs go? or know of anyone?

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #863 of 873
Just an FYI for everyone here--I pair the ATH-AD2000 with a Jotunheim 2 and Bifrost 2 and the combo is incredible. My only complaint is that air is reduced a bit but it's an improvement in every other way. Bass and male vocals improve to a good degree.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #864 of 873
Just an FYI for everyone here--I pair the ATH-AD2000 with a Jotunheim 2 and Bifrost 2 and the combo is incredible. My only complaint is that air is reduced a bit but it's an improvement in every other way. Bass and male vocals improve to a good degree.
I have Asgard 3 which is not a lot different than Jot2.
I think Burson Soloist 3xp is a much better Synergy for Ad2000 and ad2000x, I would say it was at least like a 20% Jump.
Which is massive for audio.
Soundstage size is similar, but Air , clarity, resolution and detail are improved, bass is tighter.
But in my case I had to use a Dac like Ifi Gryphon, Bifrost 2 works too.
I'm not sure if The soloist and AD need R2R like dacs.
Anyway Asgard 3 and Jot2 are extremely good for the price, asgard does not sound like 250usd ( it was 200usd before lol) it punches above.

And Air Thing, yeah, I noticed 2000x 1000x 900x ad2000 get a nerf in treble air/ clarity when using asgard 3 but they get some nice punch and Stage size upgrade compared to other not class A / not discrete amps.

With some songs they can sound amazing there but the Soloist ends being notably better with them.

But much more expensive of course.

ON the other hand A1000z does not get that treble air nerf at all, it pretty improves a lot with those Schiits without losing a lot, I find it more enjoyable on asgard than on soloist lol( and I have the supercharger, Ifi DC purifier 2, DDC)

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #865 of 873
Ditto. REALLY want to nab one of these again. Beautiful midrange coloration, highly detailed, and super fast sense of speed.
I think you had an ad2000 with an Eddie, I really wonder how it compares to the Soloist.
But that amp you have is like 4kusd lol

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #866 of 873
I think you had an ad2000 with an Eddie, I really wonder how it compares to the Soloist.
But that amp you have is like 4kusd lol
Fwiw, the second best rig I heard the Ad2000 from was the Eximus dp1 dac/amp. Incredible synergy as well, and I could have kept that as endgame, no joke. The dp1 is usually in the 1k used range. Heard the Ad2000 from MANY amps, and none came close to the Studio B or Eximus to my ears/preferences. Ymmv.

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #867 of 873
Fwiw, the second best rig I heard the Ad2000 from was the Eximus dp1 dac/amp. Incredible synergy as well, and I could have kept that as endgame, no joke. The dp1 is usually in the 1k used range. Heard the Ad2000 from MANY amps, and none came close to the Studio B or Eximus to my ears/preferences. Ymmv.
Do you have tried the Asgard 3 or Jot 2 with ad2000? To have a reference in soundstage size, I wonder if the eddie studio B can give more stage size than Asgard 3/Jot 2, but that would more accurate in an A/B test, I also have curiosity on the Quicksilver HPA

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #868 of 873
Hard to find anything that beats Eddie Current for ss imo. Haven't heard it on the Asgard 3 or Jot, but didn't like it at all out of some of my fave ss amps, like Rag 1, Bha-1, or MJ 1. Special synergy with special tube amps for this particular headphone ime.

Also, the Eximus ss size isn't a strong point, but is still easily the best I've heard in terms of solid state amplification for the ATs.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #869 of 873
Hard to find anything that beats Eddie Current for ss imo. Haven't heard it on the Asgard 3 or Jot, but didn't like it at all out of some of my fave ss amps, like Rag 1, Bha-1, or MJ 1. Special synergy with special tube amps for this particular headphone ime.

Also, the Eximus ss size isn't a strong point, but is still easily the best I've heard in terms of solid state amplification for the ATs.
BHA-1 works best on BAL and almost all wingAudio technicas are SE with non detachable cable, to test them that it needs a mod.
I think it could probably sound better on QuickSilver and Soloist 3XP.
The soloist gives them extremely good separation, Air to the instruments, and that does not happen with all headphones when using the Soloist.
But basically all the AD line gets a very nice synergy there.

Versus the eddie I have no idea, the Soloist is about transparency, detail, clarity, the eddie could be warmer, a very different sound, but I have no idea lol,

Also like you said the opinion could vary from person from person, I find Asgard and ad2000 too warm, but there is at least 3 guys that find AD2000X a to have a very very good synergy with the Soloist 3XP.

But to my surprise it happens with all the AD line, they only have the 2000x but I have almost all lol, even the ad900x gets a nice boost in detail and soundstage size with the soloist, it ends being amazing in some songs for costing less than 200usd xD.

And with that said, I did not found ad2000 synergies to massively vary from the other AD headphone line synergies , asgard nerfed ALL the line in treble clarity and air( but improved them in a numerous things) note that the word "Air" in this case is more about treble extension.

Which makes me wonder more things lol, but maybe it is mostly about what amp is used instead that if it is tube or Solid state .

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #870 of 873
I have Asgard 3 which is not a lot different than Jot2.
I think Burson Soloist 3xp is a much better Synergy for Ad2000 and ad2000x, I would say it was at least like a 20% Jump.
Which is massive for audio.
Soundstage size is similar, but Air , clarity, resolution and detail are improved, bass is tighter.
But in my case I had to use a Dac like Ifi Gryphon, Bifrost 2 works too.
I'm not sure if The soloist and AD need R2R like dacs.
Anyway Asgard 3 and Jot2 are extremely good for the price, asgard does not sound like 250usd ( it was 200usd before lol) it punches above.

And Air Thing, yeah, I noticed 2000x 1000x 900x ad2000 get a nerf in treble air/ clarity when using asgard 3 but they get some nice punch and Stage size upgrade compared to other not class A / not discrete amps.

With some songs they can sound amazing there but the Soloist ends being notably better with them.

But much more expensive of course.

ON the other hand A1000z does not get that treble air nerf at all, it pretty improves a lot with those Schiits without losing a lot, I find it more enjoyable on asgard than on soloist lol( and I have the supercharger, Ifi DC purifier 2, DDC)

I had the Asgard 3 but I do think the Jot 2 is a good step up from it. The Asgard is less dynamic and softer. I have heard great things about the Burson Soloist but I never heard anyone pair it with the AD2000 (until today:wink:). How is the bass on the AD2000 with the Burson?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back