Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Oct 15, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #1,667 of 2,441
double post...

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #1,668 of 2,441
Well tomorrow I should have all the mods completed on the RE1. I added some key parts over and above what I have talked about previously. Once I have it all back together I'll post some quick thoughts provided that I have completed the mod without any bone headed mistakes.

I should get into the Phoenix shortly thereafter having completed all the prep work (wiring diagrams of pcb and jacks) today.

Peete.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #1,669 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well tomorrow I should have all the mods completed on the RE1. I added some key parts over and above what I have talked about previously. Once I have it all back together I'll post some quick thoughts.

I should get into the Phoenix shortly thereafter having completed all the prep work (wiring diagrams of pcb and jacks) today.

Peete.

fascinating. can't wait to see your results. please, add some photos while at it. :)

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #1,671 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete, you got any suggestions for improving upon the I/V stage and the XLR outs?

Was a Balanced EHHA on your consideration list when you decided B22? Have you heard an EHHA? Just curious.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #1,674 of 2,441
Did someone say my name?
I'd be willing to try a few cables (maybe 1 person at a time) and experiment if they can cover materials and shipping costs. It is tough to say what design suits this technology, nobody really knows. Krell's own cable uses a star quad.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #1,676 of 2,441
Just the terminations IMO. For example, you could use some copper wire to build a CAST cable with the CAST connectors and this wire could also be used in a headphone cable or in RCA interconnects. However the building of a CAST cable might differ because CAST connectors have 4 pins, therefore there should be 4 arragements of wire in the cable. Correct me if I'm wrong scooter.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #1,677 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there completely satisfied with the HD800 / Phoenix combo?

I was under the impression that The Phoenix was designed and tweaked with low impedance cans (specifically the D2000 and D5000).

Not that I've read up on it, but I assumed that people were really digging the HD800 / Beta combo as far as synergy goes.

IMO the D7000 benefited much more from recabling than just balancing the stock cable alone. Now, after the mods, the D7000 regularly "disappears" from my head, giving the most open presentation I've experienced.

I love my HD800/Phoenix/RE1 setup so much so that I'm selling my HE60/HeadAmp Aristaeus setup.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #1,678 of 2,441
I think some people just aren't fans of absolutely dead neutral (which is why Kingwa makes two different flavours of gear incidentally). If I don't mind losing a lot of detail, then the Elekit amp is a lot of fun with HD-800s. I need to get off my bum and build an EHHA though as I'm being drawn to tube gear.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #1,679 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some people just aren't fans of absolutely dead neutral (which is why Kingwa makes two different flavours of gear incidentally). If I don't mind losing a lot of detail, then the Elekit amp is a lot of fun with HD-800s. I need to get off my bum and build an EHHA though as I'm being drawn to tube gear.

That's not true. A lot of people prefer neutrality. The Phoenix isn't dead neutral and lacks in transparency and impact with the HD800. That doesn't mean it's not a great amp -- it's certainly an exceptional performer for its price.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #1,680 of 2,441
I like neutral but I don't like it when the music is flat with no dynamics and weak bass.
On the other had, which is more neutral between B22 and Phoenix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back