Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Oct 16, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #1,682 of 2,441
Damn! Then B22 is a clear winner against the Phoenix, if it has better bass, dynamics and a more neutral sound. However, the Phoenix might perform better in other areas.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #1,683 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B22.

The GS-X is more neutral than the B22 IMO.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #1,685 of 2,441
Just putting the finishing touches on the RE1 mod. I ended up doing quite a bit extra which I will get into later on this evening after I test it.

This mod took me 8 hours to complete...phew. The Denon 3910 showed up today to boot
smily_headphones1.gif

Be back later to post details and pics.

Peete.

EDIT: I've goofed something up but can't figure what that could be (as of yet). I've triple checked all the stuff I worked on today before powering up an hour ago. It's likely something small. It powers up fine, relay clicks to lock signal. No sound output form any connector type. All wiring just checked with a meter. Looks good............
In the meantime could someone post a pic of the analog out wiring for L and R channels so I can double check my diagrams and wiring assignments please. Or email some close ups of those areas. It makes no sense...this should work. Back to the drawing board.

EDIT: I think I found the problem but I won't know for sure until I fiddle with it tomorrow. Time to get some sleep.

EDIT 3: Still working on my RE1 issue. Everything (wiring wise checks out). Still have some further testing to complete before I swap back in the old digital board. All the test points have the correct voltage, analog wiring is correct. Kingwa and I are at a loss to explain the malfunction. I still have a couple of areas to check to look for anything unusual before going back to the old board. This should work and yet it doesn't. Hopefully inspection of the pads on the underside of the pcb will reveal something. It certainly is frustrating to say the least.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #1,686 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just putting the finishing touches on the RE1 mod. I ended up doing quite a bit extra which I will get into later on this evening after I test it.

This mod took me 8 hours to complete...phew. The Denon 3910 showed up today to boot
smily_headphones1.gif

Be back later to post details and pics.

Peete.

That's quite the player there. Lets us know how you like the DAC in it compared to the REF1!

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #1,687 of 2,441
It's pretty good Les but it's clear it needs a lot of work to equal the CD7/RE1 combo in red book mode (there also isn't much to separate SACD/DVD-A with the A-gd setup either). Frankly I don't find that surprising. The higher rez music sounds better of course but the difference is rather small.

Peete.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #1,688 of 2,441
Oct 17, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #1,689 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys!
Is reference one comparable with aqvox dac (http://www.aqvox.com/download/Flyer_USBMKII-EN-1.pdf)?
Do they have similar performances?
Thanks.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

You seem to be shilling this all over the place in your first two posts.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #1,690 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seem to be shilling this all over the place in your first two posts.

This is true...but I attend an hifi forum where whenever someone introduces a post of a new DAC, the answer is always "aqvox is better", and I'm not so sure!!!So I'm looking for different and free impressions, and This seems the right place to ask for!I like very much reference one, and probably I'll buy it...the only problem is that there's not dealers and support in Europe!

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #1,691 of 2,441
Quote:

This is true...but I attend an hifi forum where whenever someone introduces a post of a new DAC, the answer is always "aqvox is better", and I'm not so sure!!!So I'm looking for different and free impressions, and This seems the right place to ask for!I like very much reference one, and probably I'll buy it...the only problem is that there's not dealers and support in Europe!

Interesting, can you post some links to the Forums that love the aqvox?

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #1,692 of 2,441
Oct 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #1,693 of 2,441
Quote:

No problem but is an italian forum...so I don't know if it can be usefull:
Audio Forum for home theater: la verità sulla hifi

AQVOX

Looks like it's being chatted up pretty big in that forum. Pretty much unknown here. Lots of lights, that's always a plus! A little wood would make a great deluxe edition.

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #1,694 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like it's being chatted up pretty big in that forum. Pretty much unknown here. Lots of lights, that's always a plus! A little wood would make a great deluxe edition.

Layout is not important for me...there I found many important informations!
It's a "countercurrent" forum and often criticizes hifi magazines' reviews/tests!

Come back in topic...no answer about my question?

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #1,695 of 2,441
Quote:

Quite honestly it looks like a good DAC but it's simply not in the same league as the RE1 after careful study. I'm sure there won't be a lot to separate the two during listening tests, they will both sound very good but it's resolution and handling of the difficult instruments that separates the winners from the wannabes. Many a dac comes up short when faced with massed strings or a solo piano (recorded masterfully). The RE1 handles both with aplomb and does not give either a false sense of stridency nor brittle nasally nature. Once you hear the difference it's very easy to pick out after that.

Don't look at the RE1's price tag, it is way low for what it is. Think 5K and up for it and you'll start to see the same level of build/topology/performance (maybe) from other well know brands.

IMO of course and with my bias taken into account.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back