Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Oct 6, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #1,651 of 2,441
I'd leave the RE1 as is (the wiring doesn't count). It's a masterpiece not worth buggering up IMO.

It's funny I get all the bass I'd ever want when using the Phoenix as preamp but I also don't feel it lacking using the head amp out with HD650's. Maybe the 800's aren't your cup of tea PJ ? Try a balanced set of D7000's with the RE1/Phoenix and see if that gives you what you want. The 800's might be a better fit with the B22 (and your tastes). You'll have both amps in your possession so maybe you can keep both ? I bet the GF would love your Phoenix if you should decide to go FT with the B22.
smily_headphones1.gif
Decisions decisions, what a decision to have
smily_headphones1.gif

OTOH the rewire project may address that slight voicing drawback (I hesitate to call it a negative since it's not really a negative and just a matter of taste/flavor) and I may have an entirely new level of resolution to get used to. As it stands now PJ I would try and borrow a balanced pair of D7000's if you can and then wait for the results from my mod.

Peete.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #1,652 of 2,441
I owned the D5000 and have heard the D7000 with the Phoenix (albeit not balanced). They are good cans for what they are but nowhere close to the same league as the HD800. Even if balanced, their drivers just don't have the ability to be as fast and resolving as the HD800. I used to be a closed can guy, and it took the HD800 to convert me.

The HD800 are definitely to my tastes, they just need an amp more suited to them. I also found a way to improve their tone and imaging by doing a small modification (which I've made a thread on). The Phoenix is great with low impedance cans though and seemed to perform quite well with the single ended K702 from what I remember.

My g/f does not want me to part with the Phoenix but she hardly listens to it anyway. But that decision won't be made until after the other amp is completed. I'm sure it's great as a preamp from what you guys have said. I just have no speaker system to use it with.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #1,653 of 2,441
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there completely satisfied with the HD800 / Phoenix combo?

I was under the impression that The Phoenix was designed and tweaked with low impedance cans (specifically the D2000 and D5000).

Not that I've read up on it, but I assumed that people were really digging the HD800 / Beta combo as far as synergy goes.

IMO the D7000 benefited much more from recabling than just balancing the stock cable alone. Now, after the mods, the D7000 regularly "disappears" from my head, giving the most open presentation I've experienced.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #1,654 of 2,441
BTW, just wanted to mention that I preferred my Cardas 4x24 ACSS cable to the stock Sharwire cable that I recently received.

Admittedly, the Sharkwire had no burn-in on it, but it sounded somewhat grainy comparitively.

Whatever happened to the SE loaner program?

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #1,655 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, just wanted to mention that I preferred my Cardas 4x24 ACSS cable to the stock Sharwire cable that I recently received.

Admittedly, the Sharkwire had no burn-in on it, but it sounded somewhat grainy comparitively.

Whatever happened to the SE loaner program?

Thanks for that tidbit of info ! This bodes well for the upcoming Phoenix mods for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to decide which wire type to choose. Maybe you can guys can help with that.

Vote for ACSS wire type :

A) Mundorf Silver/Gold 24 awg
B) Solid core silver 18,20 or 22 awg
C) Legenberg 20 awg UP-OCC mono crystal copper

Peete.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #1,656 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there completely satisfied with the HD800 / Phoenix combo?

I was under the impression that The Phoenix was designed and tweaked with low impedance cans (specifically the D2000 and D5000).

Not that I've read up on it, but I assumed that people were really digging the HD800 / Beta combo as far as synergy goes.

IMO the D7000 benefited much more from recabling than just balancing the stock cable alone. Now, after the mods, the D7000 regularly "disappears" from my head, giving the most open presentation I've experienced.

Not sure where you got that impression. I'm quite happy with my rig now. I just need some new music to listen to as I've over-listened to a lot of my stuff as a result!

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #1,659 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that tidbit of info ! This bodes well for the upcoming Phoenix mods for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to decide which wire type to choose. Maybe you can guys can help with that.

Vote for ACSS wire type :

A) Mundorf Silver/Gold 24 awg
B) Solid core silver 18,20 or 22 awg
C) Legenberg 20 awg UP-OCC mono crystal copper

Peete.

I think in this case, the "best" material to be used will depend on the geometry of the cable. One would need to try many different combination's of wire and geometries to find the one that is most synergistic with the Audio-gd. And, the final cable that "sounds" the best with the Audio-gd will most likely not sound good with other gear.

IMO, materials are an important, but not THE most important part of an overall cable design. Copper can "sound" like silver and silver like copper, depending on the geometry, and how it is damped and shielded.

If the SE loaner program does not happen, maybe I will make up a couple sets of cables for you guys to pass around and compare. I'm not interested in producing cables for sale to be used with the Audio-gd gear, but, I'd be willing to make up some for you guys to mess with as a "community" of Audio-gd users and have some fun discussing.

Peace,

Lee

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #1,660 of 2,441
Thanks Lee for the wisdom and tips/thoughts !

I'm leaning towards pure silver but I may end up with a hybrid...who knows for sure. I also agree it may take many different configs to get it right since the odds of me getting it right on the first try are practically nil
smily_headphones1.gif

haloxt: Agreed, the Legenberg copper is definitely different. I need to make up a couple of cables to try with what I have. Who knows what I'll end up with (which is half the fun, the other half is cursing at the ACSS jack connector pins)

Count me in Lee on any experimental cables you come up with for testing purposes. Should be fun to trade ideas back and forth.

Peete.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #1,662 of 2,441
I would agree on the shielding/damping geometry thing. My copper wire sounds much more like silver that I've tested with the setup I have on a new HD800 cable of mine, just a little more open and aggressive than before. It will take experimentation to get a good ACSS cable. Me I whipped up an ordinary quad braided OCC copper job with my own stranded wire, and I like how it sounds, but that's only compared to stock...I need more plugs so I can A/B a bit. Definitely Lee's SCSCag silver is the best silver that money can buy right now, I would try it first.

To the post above mine, did you chop a pair of NEI-1001 interconnects? I know Neotech won't sell me just the wire. They quoted me $250 for a 0.5m pair, lol $1500 on ebay.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #1,663 of 2,441
Count me in also.. I am interested in ACSS upgrade, but not sure which route to go with. If I can compare the cables in person, that'd be fantastic.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #1,664 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree on the shielding/damping geometry thing. My copper wire sounds much more like silver that I've tested with the setup I have on a new HD800 cable of mine, just a little more open and aggressive than before. It will take experimentation to get a good ACSS cable. Me I whipped up an ordinary quad braided OCC copper job with my own stranded wire, and I like how it sounds, but that's only compared to stock...I need more plugs so I can A/B a bit. Definitely Lee's SCSCag silver is the best silver that money can buy right now, I would try it first.

To the post above mine, did you chop a pair of NEI-1001 interconnects? I know Neotech won't sell me just the wire. They quoted me $250 for a 0.5m pair, lol $1500 on ebay.

took it from my rca cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back