Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #1,636 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Explain this joke, I've had some Sake recently....

I know you guys have stockyards in your neck of the woods?

Maybe this phrase is only a Southern and Western thing.

Like, man that car's fine, ain't no flies on that!

or

There Ain't no Flies on Us

There ain't no flies on us!
There may be flies on some of you guys,
But there ain't no flies on us!

Other group will respond with :
Oh yeah??
There may be flies on some of you guys,
But there ain't no flies on us!

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #1,637 of 2,441
I learned something new today. And that was it.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #1,638 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I learned something new today. And that was it.

1) I'm glad I could help out

2) Musta been a slow day!

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #1,639 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What hasn't been explored in any great detail (yet) is upgraded ACSS cabling. What if a HQ cable in this spot restores the 15% edge over XLR ? The other consideration is the fact that the less conversions from I/V that has to take place between components the better the signal integrity in theory.

I have custom cables made by Lee @ Locus Design for the AGSS and the Phoenix DC. I'd like to try some other cable designs though. While these cables are well built and offer improvement over the stock cables in some areas, they also lack in others. They were beta tests, and will be corrected.

Since Kingwa built his equipment using the Sharkwire that comes with this gear, I think it could be a good idea to follow the same designs that are featured in the Sharkwire, but with better quality wire.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #1,641 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a sound quality difference between source rca to Reference One rca and source rca to Reference One bnc ?

Yes according to Kingwa. There seems to be 10x less jitter with the BNC connection compared to RCA and he also recommends the shortest cable as possible but IpodPJ has totally different opinion on the matter.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #1,642 of 2,441
My feeling is, from my own experimenting, is that the differences in inputs are very subtle. 95% of the sound is from the quality internals rather than the cord that gets the digital signal (and power) to those expensive internals...IMO. Again, IMO. And one more time, IMO.
You'll most likely love it either which way.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #1,643 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have custom cables made by Lee @ Locus Design for the AGSS and the Phoenix DC. I'd like to try some other cable designs though. While these cables are well built and offer improvement over the stock cables in some areas, they also lack in others. They were beta tests, and will be corrected.

Since Kingwa built his equipment using the Sharkwire that comes with this gear, I think it could be a good idea to follow the same designs that are featured in the Sharkwire, but with better quality wire.

I've been mulling over geometry and conductor selection for the last 2 days. I have 3 very different types to choose from, Legenberg 20 awg solid copper, 5 N soft annealed silver (18,20 and 22 awg) and of course the 24 awg Mundorf silver/gold stuff. Ideally speaking I'd like to try a number of recipes and combos but I don't have enough solid silver or spare ACSS connectors to really explore anything more than a single recipe at a time. I should get my hands on more ACSS jacks I suppose and maybe some more 20 awg solid silver but the cost of solid silver is kinda steep. Anyway the experiments will take some time and will likely be backlogged so I can get to rewiring the RE1/Phoenix and of course finish the mod of the tube amp and rebuild the Odyssey Stratos SS amps (for which I have all the parts for the job now).

The Sharkwire cable as far as I know is just a simple twisted pair with a dual shield (the mesh shield used as the gnd connection in ACSS mode). Nothing special in terms of a fancy geometry. I could be worng though since I have not seen a cross section of the stuff but it's price would suggest nothing fancy If I had to guess (which I am
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Peete.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #1,644 of 2,441
If one end is using RCA, then there's no benefit in the other end being BNC. Remember that Kingwa said 10x less increase in jitter, not 10x more jitter. The proportion of difference is still very small between the two.

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #1,645 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes according to Kingwa. There seems to be 10x less jitter with the BNC connection compared to RCA and he also recommends the shortest cable as possible but IpodPJ has totally different opinion on the matter.

when the impedance mismatches, then longer cable might benefit. But with a good 75ohm bnc to bnc, I read that shorter length is actually better.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #1,646 of 2,441
The Audio-GD digital cable with BNC plugs that Kingwa sells is any good?
I wonder if it was worth getting a better cable with a good 75ohm BNC to BNC.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #1,647 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been mulling over geometry and conductor selection for the last 2 days. I have 3 very different types to choose from, Legenberg 20 awg solid copper, 5 N soft annealed silver (18,20 and 22 awg) and of course the 24 awg Mundorf silver/gold stuff. Ideally speaking I'd like to try a number of recipes and combos but I don't have enough solid silver or spare ACSS connectors to really explore anything more than a single recipe at a time. I should get my hands on more ACSS jacks I suppose and maybe some more 20 awg solid silver but the cost of solid silver is kinda steep. Anyway the experiments will take some time and will likely be backlogged so I can get to rewiring the RE1/Phoenix and of course finish the mod of the tube amp and rebuild the Odyssey Stratos SS amps (for which I have all the parts for the job now).

The Sharkwire cable as far as I know is just a simple twisted pair with a dual shield (the mesh shield used as the gnd connection in ACSS mode). Nothing special in terms of a fancy geometry. I could be worng though since I have not seen a cross section of the stuff but it's price would suggest nothing fancy If I had to guess (which I am
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Peete.

I think simple geometry is the key here. The cables I have have some sort of fancy geometry and don't seem to be the best with this gear. They could be improved upon. I would start using a simple geometry. In fact, what I plan to do is have some cables made with completely isolated conductors in separate sheathings, only joined at the connectors, much like some VD power cords. This would be ideal for the DC power connections. Not sure about AGSS but it's worth a try.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #1,648 of 2,441
I'd have to agree PJ. The issue I'm having is spacing (empty tubes used as spacers) and twist of the entire assembly once the cables are placed. I was thinking a simple 1 turn per inch using a 3 or 4 tube spacer (22 awg teflon) and running the wires on the outside of the spacers (in their own tubing and add 22uh 100 mA inline inductors up to five in series) on the + pole of the cable.

The inductors are part of a recipe I've been researching the last 2 days. It's promising on paper. The inductors are very very small ...look like resistors actually and they are cheap (for Vishay) so it's worth the effort IMO. We'll see but first up is the Phoenix/RE1 rewire which should commence sometime this week (partsconexxion shipped my order this past Friday).

Peete.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #1,649 of 2,441
I anticipate your Phoenix modification.
smily_headphones1.gif
One of the issues I have with it with the HD800 is that at normal listening levels there isn't much bass impact. Turning it up to higher volumes sounds fine, if you don't mind hurting your ears.

I am hoping that the Ref1 performs well with the Beta22. I can't see why it wouldn't, unless the passive I/V conversion Kingwa has used with a 0db buffer isn't up to snuff. Do you think it would be possible to fit an active solution inside the Ref1, something like the Twisted Pear IVY? Or it would it just make more sense to build a Buffalo32 and see which DAC is better?

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #1,650 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, since I don't have a set of Audio-gd gear, I used a tried and true geometry that works well with most very high end gear, but apparently is not ideal with the Audio-gd stuff. I thought, and talked with Kingwa, about picking up a set of Audio-gd (it's inexpensive enough gear that I would buy a set on a punt), and he was willing to source the connectors for me as well, but I decided that I just didn't have the time or energy to move forward with the project right now.

It is all about synergy when building a system, sometimes the most neutral cable is not the best one, in a particular system. Some experimentation and a few prototypes need to be made up specifically for the Audio-gd gear, and tested with it. Maybe Peter @ Double Helix would be a good one to contact as he has a set of Audio-gd gear?

Peace,

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back