Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are MOAR inputs?

hahaha
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #1,548 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes you SOCAL guys are so Tragically Non-Hip...

Why don't you just answer the question? Is that some teeny bopper way of saying "more" ? When you put it in caps it looks like an acronym. If it is intentionally misspelled, it's ridiculous. What the hell is with people and this net-speak fad of misspelling words? That is anything but hip.
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #1,550 of 2,441
Quote:

Why don't you just answer the question? Is that some teeny bopper way of saying "more" ? When you put it in caps it looks like an acronym. If it is intentionally misspelled, it's ridiculous. What the hell is with people and this net-speak fad of misspelling words? That is anything but hip.
wink.gif

You cut me to the quick...

Here's a handy tip that will serve you well the rest of your life.

GOOGLE

Keep it a secret between just me and you, OK?

Moar.jpg

MOAR.jpg

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #1,551 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the computer you intend to use the Ref-1 with has both Coaxial AND Optical S/PDIF out ports, adding an optical input to the Ref-1 would be superfluous?

Amarra works with the optical digital out, in case you were wondering.

Quote:

There is already such long signal paths in his gear.

...says the man with an 18' digital coax cable.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #1,553 of 2,441
Since a lot of people here use computer as transport, I think some might be interested in the open source cPlay and cMP. Not friendly software but if you're really bent on reducing jitter in PC this may be useful. If you are interested, I recommend reading the entire site first because they're not very intuitive software and like to crash if you fool around.

cMP² | Main / HomePage

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/cm...player-444784/

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #1,555 of 2,441
Lee, a friend of mine contacted Amarra directly a couple of days ago and it definitely works with the optical digital output. I have tried this myself and confirmed that there is an audible difference.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #1,556 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lee, a friend of mine contacted Amarra directly a couple of days ago and it definitely works with the optical digital output. I have tried this myself and confirmed that there is an audible difference.

Wow, that is news to me, and very cool! That will open it up to a lot more people to try.

I'm going to shoot them an e-mail and get the scoop.

Thanks for the heads up.

Lee

EDIT: Sonic just confirmed that they made the change a while back, very cool. Thanks Currawong!

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #1,557 of 2,441
So the other night I was really surprised to find out that my old man was disappointed after giving my Stax O2, Grado RS1, and ATH woodies a listening session. Nothing he heard in my collection compared to his mind-blowing audio experience at this audio boutique in China. He told me he has never heard anything like the pair of Chinese speakers fed from some $10k Accuphase amp/preamp and a high-end Chinese cd player. He has never heard anything like that in his life. Describing his experience as "the piano sounds like a real piano and the plucked string instrument sounds like a real string instrument". Everything he heard from that set sounds very real and natural. I was mystified by his enthusiasm and excitement of the sound he had heard from that store.

I do not think I have experience what he described as sounding totally analog and not even an ounce of "digitalness". It seems like what my old man had experience is consistent with the testament of some Ref 1 owners.

For Ref 1 owners, is the Ref 1 the best source you have ever heard in your entire life and were you folks blown away by the realness of the Ref 1?

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #1,558 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DAC is REF-1. There is no USB input. So, that puts me to buy one of the USB converter that Amarra has listed on the website. I do not have a plan to spend $500 on the software followed by $$$ on the USB -> SPDIF converter.

Edit-Just got to the point of discussion confirming optical out so dropped this comment.....optical out too...good deal!

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #1,559 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit-Just got to the point of discussion confirming optical out so dropped this comment.....optical out too...good deal!

Not so fast. I just downloaded the mini, but installation fails for some reason.

I use Snow Leopard with all the latest updates.

It fails at "Running Script" or something alone that line..'

EDIT: I closed all programs while installing. Same results with below message.

"The installation failed."

The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #1,560 of 2,441
I asked them at Sonic Solutions and as of when I contacted them, they said people were running Amarra with Snow Leopard. I said i wanted to be sure before downloading Snow Leopard to be sure all the bugs were out of it for everything, esp if there ended being a problem with Amarra. He said good idea. Email them at Sonic Solutions, where you download the trial and ask. I am running regular Leopard.

By the way, I just did a short a/b with the optical out of my macpro compared to the usb and I thought the usb was much better. Got to admit though you have to go thru the hoop, you can't toggle between them. You have to close Amarra/itunes and then plug in the other connector and go to preferences and switch it, then reopen Amarra, that opens itunes and find what you were listening to. I like to toggle to do a good a/b. Anyway, I didn't like the optical as much, it wasn't even really close. Still to hear the difference between itunes and Amarra, you may be able to pick it up, I could tell more with the usb though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back