Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Sep 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #1,531 of 2,441
The best scenerio I can think of using a computer to play your music is a sound card using WASAPI with foobar(not sure of other audio players) -> I2S -> DAC -> cast cables -> amp -> headphone or speakers. PS Audio has a transport and dac having an I2S to I2S connection which should be better than BNC, but they include a lot of junk in their hardware and way too expensive I think. Better well spent on a good power regenerator or power conditioner and better power cables and/or cast cables.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #1,532 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by lag0a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best scenerio I can think of using a computer to play your music is a sound card using WASAPI with foobar(not sure of other audio players) -> I2S -> DAC -> cast cables -> amp -> headphone or speakers.

I'm still on XP and feel no need to change, so kernel streaming or ASIO are my bitperfect WASAPI alternatives.

Your mentioning of CAST cables implies Krell or Audio-GD (any other manufacturer using CAST?). Don't know Krell that much, but A-GD DACs have not I2S inputs or I2S interconnects (such thing exists?). You can probably feed DSP-1 with I2S format, but had to "transport" data to the box where DSP-1 lives. I see here USB as logical, widely accepted transport medium.

It is just that USB "receiver HW" and drivers have to finally move forward from imaginary 16/48 synchronous limitations.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #1,533 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still do not think the Amarra does anything other than messing with the original data. I tried with 3 different media players in Mac so far, and I can't tell the difference. I can't try the Amarra because I do not have the hardware for it.

Amarra only works with itunes uncompressed files so other media players you won't hear a difference because it won't be on. Has to be itunes, wave or 1411 aiff files.

Edit-I read your post alittle wrong.....What hardware do you need, an external dac to go with itunes and a usb port.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #1,534 of 2,441
If the computer you intend to use the Ref-1 with has both Coaxial AND Optical S/PDIF out ports, adding an optical input to the Ref-1 would be superfluous?

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #1,535 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amarra only works with itunes uncompressed files so other media players you won't hear a difference because it won't be on. Has to be itunes, wave or 1411 aiff files.

Edit-I read your post alittle wrong.....What hardware do you need, an external dac to go with itunes and a usb port.

My DAC is REF-1. There is no USB input. So, that puts me to buy one of the USB converter that Amarra has listed on the website. I do not have a plan to spend $500 on the software followed by $$$ on the USB -> SPDIF converter.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #1,536 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the computer you intend to use the Ref-1 with has both Coaxial AND Optical S/PDIF out ports, adding an optical input to the Ref-1 would be superfluous?

I only have an optical out, which is why I asked Kingwa to add optical input. As you said, if I had both, I would just gotten rca->bnc cable.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #1,537 of 2,441
I have been recommended by a handful to go optical over coaxial when dealing with computer audio.

But the theoretical benefit of less electrical interference is not worthwhile because of a possible SQ-loss with an extra selector?

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #1,538 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been recommended by a handful to go optical over coaxial when dealing with computer audio.

But the theoretical benefit of less electrical interference is not worthwhile because of a possible SQ-loss with an extra selector?

There is virtually no SQ-loss with adding a simple input. If it's a concern for you, think about all the electronics inside the Ref1 and Phoenix. :wink:

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #1,539 of 2,441
Quote:

There is virtually no SQ-loss with adding a simple input. If it's a concern for you, think about all the electronics inside the Ref1 and Phoenix. :wink:

Well my answer to that would be that the designer does not put them on his high end DACs, only on his low end DACs. He also will try to dissuade you about adding one, and he refers to SQ as the reason and lets you make the decision.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #1,540 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my answer to that would be that the designer does not put them on his high end DACs, only on his low end DACs. He also will try to dissuade you about adding one, and he refers to SQ as the reason and lets you make the decision.

Fair enough.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #1,541 of 2,441
Quote:

Fair enough.

I went thru that go around with him. He talked me out of it.

I thought if I was crazy enough to spend this kind of $$$ on a DAC, I would listen to the guy who designed it.

Crazy is as Crazy does...

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #1,542 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went thru that go around with him. He talked me out of it.

I thought if I was crazy enough to spend this kind of $$$ on a DAC, I would listen to the guy who designed it.

Crazy is as Crazy does...

Agreed. Although one must wonder why he would design it without multiple inputs since he could surely mute each signal path if he wanted to. A lot of people use optical and it could create less customers for him. There is already such long signal paths in his gear. I'm sure if he wanted to find a way to add some more he could, just as he does on his preamps.

For me though, the extra inputs would be unnecessary now since I have the Transporter which has 4 inputs - optical, RCA coax, BNC coax, and AES/EBU - and just as many outputs.

However it would have been really nice to have AES/EBU input and circuitry on the Ref1 -- most high-end DACs have them. A true balanced signal path from start to finish would have been nice.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #1,543 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. Although one must wonder why he would design it without multiple inputs since he could surely mute each signal path if he wanted to. A lot of people use optical and it could create less customers for him. There is already such long signal paths in his gear. I'm sure if he wanted to find a way to add some more he could, just as he does on his preamps.

For me though, the extra inputs would be unnecessary now since I have the Transporter which has 4 inputs - optical, RCA coax, BNC coax, and AES/EBU - and just as many outputs.

However it would have been really nice to have AES/EBU input and circuitry on the Ref1 -- most high-end DACs have them. A true balanced signal path from start to finish would have been nice.

I talked to him about 2 mods.

1) MOAR inputs as you suggested
2) Sampling Sync Lock LEDs on the front of the box like NorthStar.

Sometimes you think you are at one rate but you're not.

He could only make the LEDs work up to 44K, so that was useless.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #1,544 of 2,441
What are MOAR inputs?

As far as the lights or any type of display -- He's good at basic design and good sound quality but I guess he never went the route of making high-tech displays or interactive features. I don't know whether he knows how to do this or not, but he should definitely start learning how so he can compete with gear that offers this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back