Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #1,577 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the Ref1 compared to your PWD?

1. I am not in a hurry to do comparisons on equipment that is essentially "fresh" with only a few hours on it compared to something well broken in. It dismays me greatly to read enthusiastic...almost giddy...comments on this thread, regarding how GREAT a component/and or cable combination is, only to have them retracted/changed after sufficient serious listening has occurred.
Sound familiar?
2. Any comparisons would be noted in a separate thread, rather than to listen to the "off topic" whiners.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #1,578 of 2,441
I think instead of comparing sound cards, DACs, AMPs, transporter( if you need one),cables, and etc. etc., it is better to find the best combination of those things at your price range for the time being. Since we all enjoy lots of different genre of music, it is hard to find that endless combination without hearing it for yourself so we all get annoyed and confused about what is best for us.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #1,579 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. I am not in a hurry to do comparisons on equipment that is essentially "fresh" with only a few hours on it compared to something well broken in. It dismays me greatly to read enthusiastic...almost giddy...comments on this thread, regarding how GREAT a component/and or cable combination is, only to have them retracted/changed after sufficient serious listening has occurred.
Sound familiar?
2. Any comparisons would be noted in a separate thread, rather than to listen to the "off topic" whiners.

Seems to me you are practicing ...er, um... sound logic with this post of yours
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree completely. The combination gets better with time so have fun with it !

Peete.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #1,580 of 2,441
I bought an Illuminati Ohm Aha! digital wiring kit from PartsConexxion (along with 10ft of 24 awg Mundorf silver/gold hook up wire) and wondered if anyone had heard of the Ohm-Aha kit or used it in their transport or DAC (or both) ?

I'm going to use this kit in the CD7/RE1 digital I/O sections.

Should be fun...hopefully the Ohm Aha kit will yield some noticeable dividends...the Mundorf stuff I expect an improvement from (judging by others use of the same stuff).

I'll let you guys know when i have it done.

Peete.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #1,582 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked Kingwa about the CD7 last night and he said that has been discontinued and a new transport is in the works with a dual chassis like the Phoenix. That's all I know right now.

Kingwa says it'll be the identical guts of the CD7. Maybe out by the end of the year.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #1,583 of 2,441
Hey

I wanted to share with you a AMAZING site I just came across teaching Krav Maga Online If you guys have seen the Discovery Channel TV Show called Fight Quest you would have seen their chief instructor Ran Nakash there featured on their Krav Maga segment. Anyways, let me know what you think. Is training via the internet something you would do?

all the best

Forrest

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #1,584 of 2,441
The Diverter is great with Amarra and the DAC8/Ref1 and Phoenix and HD800. I wrote a review, see my sig.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #1,585 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Diverter is great with Amarra and the DAC8/Ref1 and Phoenix and HD800. I wrote a review, see my sig.

Is it better than a sound card RCA/BNC to DAC RCA/BNC connection?
Do you use one of those special usb cables they recommend as well?
$1000 for the diverter is expensive as hell. You could buy a new dac, amp, or headphone with that money.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #1,586 of 2,441
The Illuminati kit makes a noticeable and positive contribution. Best 7 buck tweak I've come across. Try it and see for yourselves guys (those of you willing to solder your fingers and burn the table cloth that is
biggrin.gif
)

One kit should be enough to rewire the RE1 inputs and the two spots where the digital signal is passed off to the individual DAC/channel boards.

Peete.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #1,587 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Illuminati kit makes a noticeable and positive contribution. Best 7 buck tweak I've come across. Try it and see for yourselves guys (those of you willing to solder your fingers and burn the table cloth that is
biggrin.gif
)

One kit should be enough to rewire the RE1 inputs and the two spots where the digital signal is passed off to the individual DAC/channel boards.

Peete.

How hard was it to work with?

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #1,588 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How hard was it to work with?

Fairly easy but it's very small diameter coax that is a bit fiddly to terminate properly. You have to be careful not to score the drain wire or the foamed Teflon around the center conductor. Once you strip the outer sheath off you peel back the foil shielding to expose the drain wire and center conductor.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. My big mits and large fingers don't exactly help when it comes to tiny cables. For some reason cabling is my biggest challenge with DIY work. I had similar fun trying to get that damned solid core Belden copper crap soldered to those cheap CAST connectors (when I forgot to order shark CAST cables with the Phoenix)....although this job was much easier than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say the outside diameter of the Illuminati cable is 23awg and it's fairly flexible (easy to shape into a nice arc). The two conductors are 22awg.

Peete.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #1,589 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fairly easy but it's very small diameter coax that is a bit fiddly to terminate properly. You have to be careful not to score the drain wire or the foamed Teflon around the center conductor. Once you strip the outer sheath off you peel back the foil shielding to expose the drain wire and center conductor.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. My big mits and large fingers don't exactly help when it comes to tiny cables. For some reason cabling is my biggest challenge with DIY work. I had similar fun trying to get that damned solid core Belden copper crap soldered to those cheap CAST connectors (when I forgot to order shark CAST cables with the Phoenix)....although this job was much easier than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say the outside diameter of the Illuminati cable is 23awg and it's fairly flexible (easy to shape into a nice arc). The two conductors are 22awg.

Peete.

!

Sounds like an interesting wire. You would have had a real hoot with the LEMOs then. I'm not totally into the Boutiques wire deal, but if you can give me good engineering I'm down with that. Not running COAX to the board bothered me on the REF1.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #1,590 of 2,441
Agreed Les...after hearing your tale of woe with the Lemo's I gave myself a pass on that project (for now)
smily_headphones1.gif

The Kit comes with specs/measurements of the cable...can't go wrong for 7 bones. It's true 75 ohm coax or so it says. Want me to post the cable specs ?

It sure beats the stock wiring where it counts, the listening test. It's 22 awg silver plated copper.....75 ohm, Velocity of propagation 88%,Capacitance 16 pf/ft, Aluminized poly shield,Air/Teflon dieletric,FEP outer jacket.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back