Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Sep 18, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #1,591 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed Les...after hearing your tale of woe with the Lemo's I gave myself a pass on that project (for now)
smily_headphones1.gif

The Kit comes with specs/measurements of the cable...can't go wrong for 7 bones. It's true 75 ohm coax or so it says. Want me to post the cable specs ?

It sure beats the stock wiring where it counts, the listening test. It's 22 awg silver plated copper.....75 ohm, Velocity of propagation 88%,Capacitance 16 pf/ft, Aluminized poly shield,Air/Teflon dieletric,FEP outer jacket.

Peete.

Yeah, Post any info you have. There ain't much on the website. I may do this when I do the board upgrade. Got any PIX?

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #1,592 of 2,441
You know me well Les
smily_headphones1.gif
....give me a minute to add a pic...(the solder job isn't the greatest but it's a tough spot to get into even if you take the back plate off a mm or two with what slack the stock cabling will give you). It's just enough additional room to make it possible though.

This is a shot of the CD7...it's similar to the RE1 (which I did not take pics of )

Another angle, I gave the cables a more uniform arc before putting the lid back back on

A pic of the kit that I forgot I had...comes in handy since Partsconexxion has no pic at all and very little info.

I have that 24 awg silver/gold Mundorf stuff to add (RE1 and Phoenix) after the local mini meet I'm attending this weekend (Sat). I figured I'd better leave the Phoenix stock for the meet.

Peete.

PS: Sorry it took so long to upload Les.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #1,593 of 2,441
Quote:

You know me well Les
smily_headphones1.gif
....give me a minute to add a pic...(the solder job isn't the greatest but it's a tough spot to get into even if you take the back plate off a mm or two with what slack the stock cabling will give you). It's just enough additional room to make it possible though.

This is a shot of the CD7...it's similar to the RE1 (which I did not take pics of )

A pic of the kit that I forgot I had...comes in handy since Partsconexxion has no pic at all and very little info.

I have that 24 awg silver/gold Mundorf stuff to add (RE1 and Phoenix) after the local mini meet I'm attending this weekend (Sat). I figured I'd better leave the Phoenix stock for the meet.

Peete.

PS: Sorry it took so long to upload Les.

Pretty exciting wire there! I like it, a lot!

Thanx for the pix!

Only one thing bothers me?

Propagation velocity is only 88%?

icon10.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #1,594 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty exciting wire there! I like it, a lot!

Thanx for the pix!

Only one thing bothers me?

Propagation velocity is only 88%?

icon10.gif

No Problem Les....
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe...Nordost publishes that spec as well.....the flat cable series (Red Dawn/Blue Heaven/Solar Wind) is supposed to be above 90+% of the speed of light, whatever the hell that actually means
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #1,595 of 2,441
Quote:

No Problem Les....
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe...Nordost publishes that spec as well.....the flat cable series (Red Dawn/Blue Heaven/Solar Wind) is supposed to be above 90+% of the speed of light, whatever the hell that actually means
biggrin.gif

Peete.

I'm just worried that at .88c that the attack and decay will be a little slow...

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #1,597 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
88% the speed of light is slow?
wink.gif

Well, we have to have standards don't we!

@PP, I just ordered two packs of that Illuminati wire, I couldn't resist.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #1,598 of 2,441
Quote:

Well, we have to have standards don't we!

Cool.......gotta love cheap tweaks that actually deliver !

Peete.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #1,599 of 2,441
Quote:

Sheepishly raises hand and joins in after ordering a trio myself. At that price if it makes any positive impact I'll be happy. I'll rewire the iTransport and Ref1 with this stuff and see what happens.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #1,600 of 2,441
Quote:

Cool.......gotta love cheap tweaks that actually deliver !

Peete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sheepishly raises hand and joins in after ordering a trio myself. At that price if it makes any positive impact I'll be happy. I'll rewire the iTransport and Ref1 with this stuff and see what happens.

@ PP
Hey Peete, any idea if that wire is available in the US? UPS for 1/2 oz of wire is a little high at $15. I could add in some tube sockets for a project I'm thinking about doing but would rather source in the US if possible.

@Equador, looks like some easy to work with COAX doesn't it?

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #1,601 of 2,441
Quote:

I ordered another trio of kits as well...gonna retrofit the stuff to all my other dacs and transports...for 21 bucks it's a no brainer
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad I took the chance with this stuff last week. Hopefully you guys will hear the same things I'm hearing using this stuff. On paper and in practice it does what it's supposed to. Kingwa ought to think about securing a big role of this stuff or a higher quality equivalent and incorporate it into to his DAC/Transport builds as standard issue.

Peete.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #1,602 of 2,441
Quote:

@ PP
Hey Peete, any idea if that wire is available in the US? UPS for 1/2 oz of wire is a little high at $15. I could add in some tube sockets for a project I'm thinking about doing but would rather source in the US if possible.

@Equador, looks like some easy to work with COAX doesn't it?

I looked around for it elsewhere last evening when trying to find any reviews on the kit (a few opinions of this kit at diy/audio forums, all favorable thus far).....let me dig around some more and I'll get back to you. It might be worth emailing Kimber USA and asking them for a US dealer that has the kit otherwise I've come up empty on another place to get these from......looks like Partsconexxion is the only place for now.

Peete.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #1,603 of 2,441
Quote:

I looked around for it elsewhere last evening when trying to find any reviews on the kit (a few opinions of this kit at diy/audio forums, all favorable thus far).....let me dig around some more and I'll get back to you. It might be worth emailing Kimber USA and asking them for a US dealer that has the kit otherwise I've come up empty on another place to get these from......looks like Partsconexxion is the only place for now.

Peete.

I've been looking around for an alternative. It's a unique cable, thats obviously what has us all interested. But in reality it is not cheap at almost $5/foot. Looks like it's the only game in town though.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #1,604 of 2,441
Quote:

Likewise. Let me know how it works on your iTransport. If you hear a positive improvement I might consider doing it to my Transporter (if the jack isn't connected directly to the board) and Ref1.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #1,605 of 2,441
Quote:

I've been looking around for an alternative. It's a unique cable, thats obviously what has us all interested. But in reality it is not cheap at almost $5/foot. Looks like it's the only game in town though.

In this racket 5 bucks a ft is cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Check this out Les.... Take Five Audio - Canada's Online Source For High-End Audio, Parts and Accessories - Oyaide FTVS-510 Cryo Treated

and this http://vhaudio.com/neotech-nevd-2001.html

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back