Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
May 8, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2,731 of 3,352
Yes, you lose some volume when using the single-ended inputs. You don't have to turn the volume control to double the setting though, it's not a conventional volume that attenuates the input.

May 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #2,732 of 3,352
I have some lowish mid sensitivity headphones and use between 8 to 18 volume, but this is with SE DAC. There's no channel imbalance at low volumes, but I think you will have issues selecting volume with a JH13 unless Kingwa can make a custom gain setting for you.

May 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #2,733 of 3,352
Wow, it's only been a 6 months I have been without the Phoenix. I used my iBasso D10 during much of that time, then went to the Roc figuring it would suffice (90% did). When I happened upon a good deal for for a Phoenix locally, I reinstated this beauty into my system. I have to say that I am beginning to understand what all the crazy power regulation Kingwa puts into his units can do for sound (the main difference between the Roc and Phoenix). It really amounts to blacker background and a wider soundstage. The Roc is excellent but I started hearing things from behind my ears and was wondering what was wrong at first. Voices are in front, instruments are all around and behind to some extent. I can't believe I had forgotten this sound. This is coming from a skeptic. This post is not to make light of the Roc, it is excellent but the Phoenix really is an improvement- $500 worth, I don't know, but if you're splitting hairs and have the money.....
Keep in mind this is with a Ref-3/Ref-1 source via ACSS and lesser sources may not reveal what I experienced.

May 9, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #2,735 of 3,352

Quote:
i have used jh13s there is hiss not a lot but its there and it can go low enough to be used @ 1 position

could you go into more detail on the jh-13 use? was it balanced? balanced source? how far up the dial in volume could you go? things like that. Was the hiss audible at listenable volumes? or was it just at the top of the dial where it would blow your ears?

May 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #2,736 of 3,352
Alright guys, just wanted to thank you all for the advice, and peete for the guide. But alas my dreams of owning a Phoenix will have to be put on a back burner for now, my computer died completely today :frowning2: so the purchase of a new iMac will have to take precedence in this instance. Though the day will come when I do finally get one, maybe there'll evn be an upgrade by then :D

May 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #2,737 of 3,352

Pretty impressive! :xf_cool:

In single end ... it's boring ... but not in balanced. Bass, dynamic and smoother highs. Better soundstage (specially depth of the soundstage).
(in single end I am using the same DAC, same cable in balanced).

May 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2,738 of 3,352
Looking good pompon
smile_phones.gif

Peete.

May 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #2,739 of 3,352
I eventually got 2 of my headphones balanced and am enjoying the full potential of the Phoenix.
I have used my JVC DX 1000 single ended and found the combination slightly dark and the trebble sweet but lacking in sparkle.
On the 0/70 volume setting I was comfortable at 16-19 / 70 .

I had these recabled with " vortex silver " and Bocchino BAXLR connectors.
The overall SQ has improved quite a bit and the trebble has gained what was amiss. The bass has tightened up and is much faster and better controlled.
The entire nature of the Headphone has changed and it has a more forward sound but clarity and stage still great.
I can now listen comfortably at 8- 10 / 70 and have found that at even lower volumes the bass slam is still present and overall detail excellent. Female vocal with guitar on live recordings provide some sit very still moments with goosebumps all over.
I am very happy overall and have my library to rediscover.

I thought I would share my impressions for two good reasons, 1) I know solid state might not be first choice for the JVC DX 1000 and this combination may not be the best pairing. I know there are a lot of variables here but balancing would always introduce a few variables or changes to remember. Using silver cable and better connectors for balancing for me has made the Phoenix / DX1000 pairing  very enjoyable.
                                                                                          2) The JVC DX 1000 in balanced format is not very common in these forums and impressions are rare.

I will post my impressions about the balanced AKG K701 when I have had more time to listen.

I have also just received my Beyer T1  and wonder if there are any Phoenix owners with impressions on the pairing and in particular se / balanced use.

Shade,
Tom.  

May 21, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #2,741 of 3,352

Hi winzzz , I don't measure quality in $ and cents, let's just say I am happy with a reasonable exchange of value.
I guess it's easy to do if you got the skills, I had it done by qusp , a headfier and mot, a great cable builder.
I can imagine a fair amount of stress working inside a $1K phone. I can't be 100% shure, but using the stock cable could be done, about 3/4 pin Xlr's I am unshure. .
I wanted to bring out the high side and add sparkle hence the silver cable, and it worked well.

Tom.

Quote:
wow...how much that cable cost you ?

is it hard to recable dx1000 ? i mean opening the cup and bla bla bla...

can i go balance using the stock cable ?

May 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #2,742 of 3,352
     Quote:
wow...how much that cable cost you ?

is it hard to recable dx1000 ? i mean opening the cup and bla bla bla...

can i go balance using the stock cable ?

If you are good with a soldering iron it looks possible to do. Look at these pictures of the dx1000

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/391515/jvc-hp-dx1000-mod#post_5150715

The solder points for the black and white wires are in a small space so removing the driver from the housing is probably a necessary step to removing stock wire and soldering on new cables.

You can also reterminate stock dx1000 cable to balanced, I'm guessing black is negative and white is positive, but I may be wrong, sometimes companies do things backwards.

Pin guide: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/ModifyEN.htm

May 21, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #2,743 of 3,352
It's easiest to do a 4-pin XLR modification and use the cut-off tail as an adaptor.  

May 22, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #2,744 of 3,352
I would like to add my impression of the AKG K 701 in balanced format with the Phoenix amp.
There are many threads about the K701 and it is a hot love or hate topic, don't want to go there.
There were many aspects of the phone I liked stock, and some I wished were different sounding.

The recable uses the Vortex copper cable with Bocchino xlr's , I hoped the bass would be more palpable and the treble would be tamed.
The Phoenix in balanced format drives these phones extremely well, the best I have heard so far.
I am not going to go into superlatives but to just say I feel like sending you a postcard from paradise saying "wish you were here".
I have gained a lot of of respect for this phone, and even more respect for the Phoenix. Give it a great source at one end and great phone on the other and it will certainly connected them well.
I am hearing effortless power and a pitch black backround.

Happy Shade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back