Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Apr 27, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #2,701 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorlac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa told me to just keep trying to switch the data output cable ports if it happens again. If that doesnt fix the issue, then he said there is someone in the USA that will fix it and he will pay for shipping.

I was actually starting to consider selling this thing since it is so big and massive. I have been using my Mac laptop a lot lately and I want a smaller portable amp now instead so I am not locked up in my basement all the time LOL. You think anyone would still buy it knowing that some of the caps may or may not need to be replaced in the future? I realize I will lose more money on the thing with this disclosure, but I honestly am not using it much and its kind of a waste (cant believe I am saying this LOL..., but my wife would be proud hehehe).

Anyways..thanks everyone for the input. Not sure what I would do without my fellow Headfiers!

Smart thing, get it fixed then sell it.

You'll be sorry you sold it though...

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #2,702 of 3,352
Yeah you are right...maybe I will just keep it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2,703 of 3,352
I just sent my paypal for my Phoenix! :xf_cool:

BTW, I have a B22 balanced in construction (almost finish).
But preliminary test (2 boards without Sigma22) was that thing was too detailled/bright. Was using Cardas Quad solder ... is-it possible that why it's so bright or 30 hrs burn-in is not enough or the bench supply is not good for B22 ?

It's why I ordered the phoenix ... to have something ready when I will probably have to fine tuned the B22 to have something I like.

I will be able to put them side to side ... and it's not a bad thing to have the opportunity to keep the best I like.

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2,704 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But preliminary test (2 boards without Sigma22) was that thing was too detailled/bright. Was using Cardas Quad solder ... is-it possible that why it's so bright or 30 hrs burn-in is not enough or the bench supply is not good for B22 ?

It's why I ordered the phoenix ... to have something ready when I will probably have to fine tuned the B22 to have something I like.

I will be able to put them side to side ... and it's not a bad thing to have the opportunity to keep the best I like.

That will be a good comparison to hear your impressions from. I would think a bench PSU may not be ideal in the clean and quiet dept.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2,705 of 3,352
Quote:

Sorry if a little off topic, but is there no adjustment that you can make to warm the sound of the B22?

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2,706 of 3,352
Quote:

I was actually starting to consider selling this thing since it is so big and massive. I have been using my Mac laptop a lot lately and I want a smaller portable amp now instead so I am not locked up in my basement all the time LOL. You think anyone would still buy it knowing that some of the caps may or may not need to be replaced in the future? I realize I will lose more money on the thing with this disclosure, but I honestly am not using it much and its kind of a waste (cant believe I am saying this LOL..., but my wife would be proud hehehe).

Fix it first under warranty, then sell here on HeadFi. I do not want my new used Phoenix to need any work. :darthsmile:

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2,707 of 3,352
Like Les and Curra I have one of the early production units that used the "bad" caps in the head amp section. So far I've been lucky having had no issues with the preamp section/switch however I do plan on replacing these along with the rest of the stock caps in the amp chassis this week (Phase 2 of Max mod).

Peete.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #2,708 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like Les and Curra I have one of the early production units that used the "bad" caps in the head amp section. So far I've been lucky having had no issues with the preamp section/switch however I do plan on replacing these along with the rest of the stock caps in the amp chassis this week (Phase 2 of Max mod).

Peete.

Franken-Phoenix!

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #2,709 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Franken-Phoenix!

Exactly !!! :D

Peete.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #2,710 of 3,352
Quote:

B22 is liquid, powerful, organic, dynamic, and transparent. I guess all B22 are not created equal.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #2,712 of 3,352
Quote:

My Phoenix quit working again. Preamp light stuck ON.

I am sending it to Kingwa's USA friend for repairs next week. One of you might get lucky because I now think I may sell it once repaired. :wink:

Caps don't usually repair themselves, so a repair was in the cards here.

There aren't too many options for replacement IMO, what are you replacing it with? B22 or EHHA? Those would be my only options unless you went the STAX route. Or do you just want something "New"?

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #2,713 of 3,352
Its a downgrade, but I think im going to try out a VC-01i. It is small, simple and balanced. At least it will be easier to move around heh. I am not too concerned about the downgrade. I feel my DAC is more important and I love the one I have now, so wont be parting with that anytime soon.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #2,714 of 3,352
Quote:

Its a downgrade, but I think im going to try out a VC-01i. It is small, simple and balanced. At least it will be easier to move around heh. I am not too concerned about the downgrade. I feel my DAC is more important and I love the one I have now, so wont be parting with that anytime soon.

Good Deal! I tried to find pix of the inside of that box, but couldn't find any.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #2,715 of 3,352
hey Peete, would you be willing to write down a list of quantities and sizes for all the new capacitors you bought to replace the ones in the Phoenix? just to use as a parts list for someone not quite a technically inclined as yourself? And i know you used larger sizes in the PSU section for more filtering, but are you going to keep the sizes the same in the amp section of the unit? Also i was curious about gauges and lengths of wire that you used in the rewire of the whole thing as well. or do you think that it would be ok to use all one gauge, like 24 or 26 awg? im fairly partial to the SCSCag wire that cryparts has which only comes in those 2 sizes, which is around 10 bucks a foot. Do you think i should just stick with the mundorf like you used?

Im just curious because i think that ive finally decided that i want one of these beasts, and i like what you've done with your mods, so im going to contact Kingwa about me sending all the parts and just having it built with the new caps and wire in it already
biggrin.gif
and since i dont have one i cant go look for myself. also need to discuss having a lower gain put in for my jh-13's

thanks ahead of time, i dont think im the only one in the thread that appreciates what you've done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back