Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #1,607 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Phoenix also has a very faint constant clicking sound which can only be heard out of the (beryllium) tweeter in my right speaker. It is at a constant volume regardless of the volume setting on the Phoenix. I can only hear it when I walk right up to my right speaker and put my ear pretty much right on the tweeter. As soon as I take even a small step back I can't hear it ever, and I definitely can't hear it from my listening position so I don't really care. There is no such sound out of my left speaker. I can't hear it out of headphones when operating the Phoenix as a headamp single-ended. I suspect it has to do with the balanced output only. I will compare using the rca outputs sometime to verify.

Oh and the clicking sound doesn't go away for me after the amp is warmed up.

Since I don't normally listen to my Usher BE-20's (beryllium Tweeter and Midrange drivers) with my ear against the tweeter I do not know if my Phoenix exhibits this issue. I'll make an effort to see if it does. Many preamps, amps, whatever do have very low level noise that is never heard under normal listening. Placing your ear inches in front of the tweeter is hardly normal listening. IMO this level of noise is not an issue. I draw the line when a noise is audible at about 3 or 4 feet.

It's not surprising that the sound is audible through the tweeters and not headphones. Headphones receive the entire bandwidth so the noise in question may be masked by more benign full spectrum background noise, whereas a tweeters input is only the higher frequencies. Also no headphone has the high frequency performance of the best beryllium or diamond tweeters. Headphones drivers are to some degree compromised (As high frequency transducers in comparison to the best beryllium or diamond tweeters) by their need to reproduce the entire audible spectrum.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #1,608 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't that kinda raise some IP issues?

There are other companies that sell fully modified high-end SB transports.

Either way, if someone sends their SB to him I think that would put him in the clear. And that's the only way it could work anyway because Kingwa told me the price of the SB in China is almost 75% more than here.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,609 of 3,352
I just hooked up my ECD1 to the Phoenix via the balanced interconnect that I just got and now I'm wondering whether I should recable my W5000 even though I already placed my order. I'm afraid that I won't have enough volume steps to play with since I'm listening at 11/99 steps right now and it's already plenty loud for me.

For those of you who run a fully balanced rig and own balanced Denons (which has a lower impedance and a higher sensitivity than the W5000), what step are you guys at? 1? 2?

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #1,611 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saga continues!With invaluable help from Les determined headphone output "door nail dead",so it goes.E-mailed Kingwa and go from there.Oh well.

Let us know what Kingwa says. He may have something he can trouble shoot with the Debug switch. I don't think so, but you never can tell. Good Luck!

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #1,612 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know what Kingwa says. He may have something he can trouble shoot with the Debug switch. I don't think so, but you never can tell. Good Luck!

Kingwa e-mailed and he thinks it's the signal cable.All the pins are straight and have continuity.He wants pics next.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #1,613 of 3,352
Quote:

Kingwa e-mailed and he thinks it's the signal cable.All the pins are straight and have continuity.He wants pics next.

I believe that you're talking about the data cable that goes from the PS/Controller to the Amplifier unit. That could easily be the problem. It sends the signals to the Amplifier unit to change volume and source. If the Data Cable is defective in some way the Amplifier may not be receiving the signal to raise the volume, or to unmute. It could very well be the problem, and would be a quick replacement.

Here's hoping that it is the cable.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #1,614 of 3,352
As far as a ticking noise. When Cold there is a very slight ticking noise in the right channel. It goes away within 10-20 minutes and it is extremely minor, I need to hold my ear within about 6" of the Beryllium Tweeter, it's not audible from the Beryllium Midrange driver.

I really want to emphasize that it's extremely low level and is in no way an issue (IMO), but it is there when cold.

I continue to be impressed by the Phoenix's functional operation, and it's sound quality. I can't definitively quantify its performance as a headphone amplifier. For that evaluation I need to get my 701's and 7000's back and do a lot of serious listening. I'm confident that it's at the very least an amazing value. As far as its performance as a preamp, it's very good. I'd say on an ultimate scale it's about an 8 out of 10. When the best preamps would be a 10.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #1,615 of 3,352
Quote:

We're praying for ya!

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,616 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're praying for ya!

Thanks Les "NPI"for the kind words.Went looking for a male to male straight wire signal cable but couldn't find any.When I got home Kingwa e-mailed and said it wouldn't work anyway without the 2 external white wires.That was my limit.
PS Just so happens I have a drink waiting to help me decide.If it's better to hope it's just the cable or,it better be something worse.Sometimes it's not about the journey
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #1,618 of 3,352
What does he mean it won't work without the 2 external white wires? I'm using it without those right now (I'm serious). If you don't mind please repost what Kingwa wrote I think you misunderstood him.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #1,619 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're not in a hurry, perhaps you can send off your cable to one of us Phoenix owners and we can test it out for ya? That'll at least eliminate one possibility.

That's the head-fi spirit
ksc75smile.gif
I believe Kingwa will ship a cable when he see's the pics.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #1,620 of 3,352
Quote:

That's the head-fi spirit
ksc75smile.gif
I believe Kingwa will ship a cable when he see's the pics.

Are they naughty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back