Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 18, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #1,636 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you're unfamiliar with the PS Audio DL3. You can't turn it off. You have two options: 96kHz or 192kHz.
normal_smile .gif

My DAC's upsampling of 24/192 is undefeatable too.
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #1,637 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and
smily_headphones1.gif

Whaddya think vs SE or regular balanced ?

Peete.

Just hooked it up and let it run, have not A/B'd them. Sounds great. Luckily Kingwa did all the work for me!
icon10.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,639 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IPODPJ:

You have said XLR input + XLR output was vastly superior to SE Input + XLR output when you have done the Zana vs Phoenix earlier ... You completely changed you mind ?

See post #1627 on the previous page.

Balanced input has slightly better separation but SE has more body, impact and is a tad more detailed. Once I put better XLR connectors on the amp I'm sure this won't be the case.

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #1,641 of 3,352
Yes, it is a truly balanced DAC. The XLR cables are the Sharkwire that Kingwa made and they were superb with the balanced B22.

Also, I never do any comparisons until the amp has been warming up for at least 3 or 4 hours. There are too many sonic changes that occur during that time period which would give false results. In addition, I prefer to do these comparisons after 2 a.m. when the power usage is lowest and the chance for line noise spikes are at a minimum. (I really need a regenerator.)

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #1,642 of 3,352
Perhaps I should have asked this before I ordered a pair of balanced LA7000s, but how good a match is the Phoenix for Denons? I notice several of the regular posters here have Denons so I guess there's not too much of a problem.

I was originally going to go with HD800s but they are still not readily available here in the UK. I decided on the LA7000s with they idea that will offer a contrast to the HD800s if I should decide to get a pair of those too when they are more readily available.

Thanks for all the feedback on Phoenix as preamp.

I'm thinking of partnering the Pheonix with a Chord QBD76 Dac since my local dealer can offer me a very good deal on one at the moment. I should be getting one on demo for a couple weeks about the time I'm expecting the phoenix to arrive.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #1,643 of 3,352
Quote:

I take it you're unfamiliar with the PS Audio DL3. You can't turn it off. You have two options: 96kHz or 192kHz.
normal_smile .gif

I wish it had Anagram Technologies gear inside of it though. Anagram does it better than anyone else.

As you have pointed out my familiarity with the DLIII is pretty poor. I should have looked it up before typing and suggesting something that can't be done.....
redface.gif

The Anagram module does a great job don't get me wrong, I just couldn't accept the effect it was giving everything it upsampled.

Peete.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #1,644 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charnwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps I should have asked this before I ordered a pair of balanced LA7000s, but how good a match is the Phoenix for Denons? I notice several of the regular posters here have Denons so I guess there's not too much of a problem.

I was originally going to go with HD800s but they are still not readily available here in the UK. I decided on the LA7000s with they idea that will offer a contrast to the HD800s if I should decide to get a pair of those too when they are more readily available.

Thanks for all the feedback on Phoenix as preamp.

I'm thinking of partnering the Pheonix with a Chord QBD76 Dac since my local dealer can offer me a very good deal on one at the moment. I should be getting one on demo for a couple weeks about the time I'm expecting the phoenix to arrive.

I'm listening to balanced D5000s and SE LA7000 and they are both awesome on the Phoenix. The LA7000 is a nice can BTW. It's "forcing" me to do something about my D5000.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #1,645 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to balanced D5000s and SE LA7000 and they are both awesome on the Phoenix. The LA7000 is a nice can BTW. It's "forcing" me to do something about my D5000.

Thanks for that. Both the Phoenix and the LA7000s are something of a "leap of faith" for me and at this stage of the wait I need some reassurance.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #1,646 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charnwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that. Both the Phoenix and the LA7000s are something of a "leap of faith" for me and at this stage of the wait I need some reassurance.

The LA7000 is an awesome can and greatly different/better than the D5000 or presumably the D2000. Like I said, listening to it is forcing me to mod my D5000 to "fix" the sound. If I don't get the effect I want than I'll get a D7000 and send it to Mark. They both do very well with the Phoenix though.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #1,647 of 3,352
Les,
Do you have any plans on getting a pair of HD800?
Only reason I'm asking is because I have a modded pair of D5000. And I've heard the D7000 as well through the Phoenix.
Before you mod your D5000 or get a D7000 you may want to check out the HD800, if it was in your line of sight. I doubt you'd be listening much to your Denons after that. I know I don't.

But if you do want a modded pair of D5000, I'm selling mine.

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #1,648 of 3,352
Quote:

Les,
Do you have any plans on getting a pair of HD800?
Only reason I'm asking is because I have a modded pair of D5000. And I've heard the D7000 as well through the Phoenix.
Before you mod your D5000 or get a D7000 you may want to check out the HD800, if it was in your line of sight. I doubt you'd be listening much to your Denons after that. I know I don't.

But if you do want a modded pair of D5000, I'm selling mine.

I'm pursuing the Denon sound at presnt. Nothing about the reviews of the HD800 makes me want to go out of my way for them.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #1,649 of 3,352
I just got through the micro-meet with Mike(mike1127) and Donald(Donald North). Donald brought his Audio Note Kit 1 along with the K1000.

Here was the test setup: Electrocompaniet ECD-1 --> Phoenix via XLR/Audio Note via SE --> K1000 using 4 pin balanced connector

First of all, the Phoenix is loud enough(for me) with the K1000. I was listening to the K1000 with volume step of 50/70. IMO, the K1000 out of the Audio Note sounded fantastic while it's only a great headphone out of the Phoenix.

With the Audio Note, the K1000 sounded very lively though slightly bright, you get a huge soundstage with incredible width and depth that no other headphones can match, the mids is very meaty and pure. Even though the criticism of the K1000 has always been the rolled off bass starting from around 50hz, I didn't feel like it was lacking. Bass in general was very punchy with drums and cello sounded equally excellent with plenty of bass texture.

Moving on to the Phoenix. The first thing that jumped out at me was the midrange, or lack thereof. It sounded a bit recessed in contrast to the Audio Note. The highs are less detailed (probably because it's not as bright) while bass lacks the texture and punch that I get from the Audio Note. The Phoenix did, however, retained the fantastically wide open soundstage that the Audio Note brought.

I really need to get a K1000! Perhaps along with the Audio Note Kit 1.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #1,650 of 3,352
Quote:

Well I will use BNC with the Ref-1, for sure. And no, optical is still way better than any implementation I've heard with USB. But I do agree that the coax is not properly implemented or there would be no sonic difference between cables.

How about you just don't comment on me obsessing or convincing myself or think I'm delusional yadda yadda yadda... if you don't believe it, just don't respond. We are all here to post our impressions and what we notice. If I had said that the Phoenix had a minor clicking noise in the right channel you wouldn't believe me on that either I'm sure. Funny how my amp seems to be one of the only ones without that issue. And I did a back and forth comparison with SE and XLR input for my girlfriend and she agrees that SE sounds better.

Nothing is sucking the joy out of this hobby. I enjoy tuning my system to get the best sound possible as much as I enjoy sitting and listening to the music, as much as I enjoy talking to people at meets. It's part of the hobby and I love all aspects equally. You do not have my headphones or my system so you cannot possibly say what is or what is not different. And we have established that every Phoenix so far has had different issues so to dismiss the fact that mine sounds better one way (even if yours does not) is just foolish.

I will be using CAST (assuming I like the Reference One) and once he completes my Squeezebox transport in a few months I will use BNC to the DAC. I choose to use optical with my DL3 because I was tired of hearing variations/setbacks in certain parts of the frequency spectrum due to signal reflections from (what I believe to be) poor, non 75-ohm impedance mismatching on both DAC and SB. I have a very good clock in my DL3 so jitter is a non-issue there (Audiocom Superclock 4-S, <2ps) but I'm sure there are issues with the SB which is why I asked Kingwa to make me a high quality one.

This morning I wrote a long reply to your post. Then just before I posted I accidentally hit the side button on my Logitech mouse, it works as a back button. The entire post was lost. To be honest I don't have the energy to argue with you. You're the freaking Energizer Bunny of Audio. Just be aware that the fates saved you from a ferocious tongue lashing, so consider yourself lashed.

I'm just about done with this thread in any case. I might post once I get a handle on the Phoenix's performance as a headphone amp, and everyone knows that I feel it's a great preamp, so not much more to add.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back