Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #1,576 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It clicks even without any intervention, but as it warms up (I would say 15-20 mins or so), the clicking sound goes away.

Hmm,

Does it sound like a relay oscillating?

Can you do anything to make it more prominent or anything to make it go away?

Can you hear it with bare ears?

Or just thru the headphones?

Does it start immediately on turn on?

How often is the clicking frequency? Such as clicks per minute?

I turn mine on and walk off, I will test mine to see if it does this. Tell me how to do the test?

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #1,578 of 3,352
Quote:

It's a consistent clicking noise(only on the right channel) that starts right on cold start and I would say that it's roughly a few click per second.

Have you told Kingwa about it?? what does he have to say?.. he usually does not take too much time in responding and since he made the amp, I think he would be in the best position to find a solution.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #1,579 of 3,352
Quote:

It's a consistent clicking noise(only on the right channel) that starts right on cold start and I would say that it's roughly a few click per second.

I just tried mine. Silent. It actually doesn't seem to make the relay noise as much anymore either for some reason. Email Kingwa to look into this. Has it done this since day 1? I'm empathetic to your problems, not good.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #1,581 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like a nice meet in LA with good info gleaned from it. Additionally, there were three Phoenix boxes there. A high percentage of Phoenix that exist in the wild! Most impressive. I think there were more Phoenix amps there than B22s!

If you contracted a build for a 4 Channel B22 with a twisted Pear Vol Attenuator, a Darwin source selector, Pre-Amp capability, and Balanced/SE, with a separate chassis PSU, and Pro Quality casework, you're looking at 3x the cost of the Phoenix and most likely much more. If you added remote control and LED display, sit down first before you get that quote. Not to mention a very comprehensive A-GD warranty.

The Fact that the B22 and Phoenix are playing in the same League speaks volumes about the Phoenix as great execution and Value proposition. Nobody seems to be critiquing the Phoenix at it's price point.

It seems as if the biggest failing is that when compared to an amp that cost 3-5 times as much, that 50% of the listeners found the B22 marginally better, while the other 50% found the Phoenix marginally better.

Agreed Les...well said.

Peete.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #1,582 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Peete, Love your new avatar ! looks like a wise old man !!..
smily_headphones1.gif

That will perform tricks for bacon bits !!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Peete.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #1,584 of 3,352
Quote:

I'll drop him an email later since it really isn't that big of a deal but in the mean time...UPS just delivered my Electrocompaniet ECD1.
beerchug.gif

Wow nice, congrats on the pick up
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you tried the other data port ? Might be worth a shot.

Peete.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,585 of 3,352
Quote:

Getting back on topic. Here's a knock on the Phoenix. It has a very faint clicking sound on the right channel when it's not warmed up. I remember reading about it from one of the owners here. Does that clicking sound ever go away? Sometimes, I just wanna listen to music right the moment I turn on my amp, so that clicking sound bothers me during quiet passages.

Mine did that when cold and brand new. It goes away after 10-20 minutes of warm-up. Since the amp doesn't sound great when cold I turn it on and let it warm it up for about 30 minutes before I seriously listen, so I have not heard the noise since first turning the amp on and listening when cold.

When asked Kingwa replied that the noise might be because the amp was cold (needed warm-up). I do not consider the noise when cold an issue. Turn the amp on, go check your email, get a beer, and come back it'll be quiet and sound great. No problem. IMO

Quote:

If you contracted a build for a 4 Channel B22 with a twisted Pear Vol Attenuator, a Darwin source selector, Pre-Amp capability, and Balanced/SE, with a separate chassis PSU, and Pro Quality casework, you're looking at 3x the cost of the Phoenix and most likely much more. If you added remote control and LED display, sit down first before you get that quote. Not to mention a very comprehensive A-GD warranty.
The Fact that the B22 and Phoenix are playing in the same League speaks volumes about the Phoenix as great execution and Value proposition.

Didn't I post almost the exact same thing several pages ago? (Only I was much more verbose)
Quote:

There are several issues that the comparisons with a B22 barely touch on.

1) Production versus DIY or Private Commission -A production Amplifier will have very little unit to unit variation. A DIY unit is exactly that, the outcome is dependent on many factors: Builders Skill, Chosen configuration, Parts selection.

So when you order a Phoenix in about a month you'll receive the same amp that everyone has been writing about. If you decide to build a B22 you're gambling on your own skill and ability to choose the right parts and build it perfectly, and oh yeah enjoy the flexible warranty.

2) Features - Sure the B22 can be used as a preamp or even to drive ultra efficient speakers. The fact however is that no one has built a B22 with the number of inputs and outputs, remote control, and ergonomic sophistication that the Phoenix offers. Could someone do so? Sure, maybe, but at what cost? The fact is that even the slickest B22's are fairly crude ergonomically compared to the Phoenix. So if you want remote controlled multiple inputs switched with remote relays with volume memory a B22 is not in the running.

3) Time - How long does the average DIYer take to complete a B22? How long does it take for a commissioned B22 to be built? I believe that the lead time for a Phoenix is about a month.

4) Cost - The Phoenix will now set a person back about $1350 delivered to the US. I haven't researched it but the impression I have gathered from my readings here is that is also about what a well configured B22 might cost someone who DIY's it(Not counting labor). A B22 is beyond the DIY ability of most members (Myself included) so commissioning a B22 is what most members would have to do. I have no idea what such a commission might cost (Members seldom state what their custom built amp cost), but I would guess that a stripped B22 might go for $2000 or so, how much would one cost with 5 inputs, remote control, and separate power supply? If available it could top $5000

The fact that which amp sounded better ended up being debatable is the greatest endorsement of the Phoenix ever. For me I haven't seen a B22 that does even part of what I'd like my main amp to do, so to me the winner is obvious.

If I had unlimited money it would be nice to commission a Loaded two chassis B22 using all of the Audiophile parts that I know make audible differences. Such a machine would cost well in excess of $5000. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited money so such an amp is not an option. I would however prefer a Super-Phoenix. I imagine Kingwa building an amp on two larger chassis, with all of the features of the Phoenix (Maybe a couple of more inputs, maybe a tape loop), but better power supply and built with Audiophile grade parts. For such a Super Phoenix I might be able to dig up $3000-$5000, and based on the fact that the Phoenix (Without much in the way of Audiophile parts) is already close to a B22 just imagine what a Super-Phoenix might sound like. Heaven comes to mind.

Quote:

Nobody seems to be critiquing the Phoenix at it's price point.

It seems as if the biggest failing is that when compared to an amp that cost 3-5 times as much, that 50% of the listeners found the B22 marginally better, while the other 50% found the Phoenix marginally better.

This has been emphasized several times, more than several times. Since the Phoenix actually fights in a different weight class it seems silly to compare it to comparably prices lightweights.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #1,590 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine did that when cold and brand new. It goes away after 10-20 minutes of warm-up. Since the amp doesn't sound great when cold I turn it on and let it warm it up for about 30 minutes before I seriously listen, so I have not heard the noise since first turning the amp on and listening when cold.

When asked Kingwa replied that the noise might be because the amp was cold (needed warm-up). I do not consider the noise when cold an issue. Turn the amp on, go check your email, get a beer, and come back it'll be quiet and sound great. No problem. IMO

Didn't I post almost the exact same thing several pages ago? (Only I was much more verbose)

This has been emphasized several times, more than several times. Since the Phoenix actually fights in a different weight class it seems silly to compare it to comparably prices lightweights.

Heh, don't get your Hackles up, sometimes Brevity is a virtue
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IPodPJ's girlfriend tell him his phoenix is better because she want he keep his money to offer her a big and shining ring! :wink:

I remember reading in some Esoteric Historical reference that Eva Braun didn't much like Jews either! Could have been because of the company she was keeping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back