Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #1,591 of 3,352
Well,Still haven't figured out the problem,Yet.I did try another computer with no luck,and a million other things like different cables shorts continuity ect.Think I'll spend one more day on it then post to the computer forum.I do have a volt ohm meter,I'll hunt down some values.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #1,593 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IPodPJ's girlfriend tell him his phoenix is better because she want he keep his money to offer her a big and shining ring! :wink:

Not at all. She could care less about expensive jewelry. In fact, she is encouraging me to buy several amps. She's really gotten into this hobby. But she can encourage me all she wants. Once I buy the Ref-1 and the custom SB transport Kingwa is working on, my money will be completely tapped out.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #1,595 of 3,352
I briefly had clicking in the volume when it wasn't being changed. It went away within an hour for me though. The strange thing is, it started after I changed around power cables experimentally. Some things to try: Switch the volume from 70 to 99 steps or back. Change power cables or outlets (worth a shot). Use the remote control to change the volume for a while.

About the Beta 22: It's hard to nail down the amp as it can be built many ways, but I would lay bets on a 2-box 6-channel build besting the Phoenix except in value, primarily because it was designed as headphone amp from the beginning.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #1,596 of 3,352
After what I've seen of audio-gd's perfectionist design philosophy I'd think if someone wants the best B22 they should commission audio-gd to make it
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #1,598 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting back on topic. Here's a knock on the Phoenix. It has a very faint clicking sound on the right channel when it's not warmed up. I remember reading about it from one of the owners here. Does that clicking sound ever go away? Sometimes, I just wanna listen to music right the moment I turn on my amp, so that clicking sound bothers me during quiet passages.

My Phoenix also has a very faint constant clicking sound which can only be heard out of the (beryllium) tweeter in my right speaker. It is at a constant volume regardless of the volume setting on the Phoenix. I can only hear it when I walk right up to my right speaker and put my ear pretty much right on the tweeter. As soon as I take even a small step back I can't hear it ever, and I definitely can't hear it from my listening position so I don't really care. There is no such sound out of my left speaker. I can't hear it out of headphones when operating the Phoenix as a headamp single-ended. I suspect it has to do with the balanced output only. I will compare using the rca outputs sometime to verify.

Oh and the clicking sound doesn't go away for me after the amp is warmed up.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #1,599 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But she can encourage me all she wants. Once I buy the Ref-1 and the custom SB transport Kingwa is working on, my money will be completely tapped out.

You have a good girlfriend! Mine is nice too!
beerchug.gif

What is this secret Squeezebox transport you talking about ?
popcorn.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #1,600 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Phoenix also has a very faint constant clicking sound which can only be heard out of the (beryllium) tweeter in my right speaker. It is at a constant volume regardless of the volume setting on the Phoenix. I can only hear it when I walk right up to my right speaker and put my ear pretty much right on the tweeter. As soon as I take even a small step back I can't hear it ever, and I definitely can't hear it from my listening position so I don't really care. There is no such sound out of my left speaker. I can't hear it out of headphones when operating the Phoenix as a headamp single-ended. I suspect it has to do with the balanced output only. I will compare using the rca outputs sometime to verify.

Oh and the clicking sound doesn't go away for me after the amp is warmed up.

This to me is unacceptable. Surely you would hear that with your headphones, no? I'm glad my amp has no such problem. But it has others.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #1,604 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of you asked earlier what I am working on with Kingwa.... well, I don't think he wants to add it to his product line but I am trying to convince him otherwise. Here is what I have asked him to do for me:

I want him to turn the Squeezebox receiver into a very high end transport, way beyond what the Logitech Transporter can do -- and put it into the same style chassis as the Phoenix.

Kingwa, Here is what you should know:

-- I want the color changing logo on the front of the Duet to be on the front of the chassis. It is also a button for connecting to Wi-Fi. Very nice and clean like the front of the REF-1.
-- I already have a regulated power supply for the Duet. You can remove it from the case and hardwire it directly to the Duet. (Or you can make your
own regulated or regenerated power supply which is probably best.)
-- I only need the digital output section, not the analog.
-- You can convert the digital coax output to CAST maybe, if not, to BNC to go into your REF-1.
-- It also has optical output but we don't need to include that if it degrades sound quality.
-- You will need to upgrade the clock to something high quality like the Audiocom Superclock with PSU, or the DEXA Neutron Star, or if your reclocker is better in the Ref3 that works too.
-- IEC input on the back of the chassis
-- Please completely separate the Wi-Fi receiver section from the audio section and isolate both from interference. There should be an extended range Wi-Fi antenna inside the chassis. If this still degrades sound quality we can move the Wi-Fi section to a second smaller chassis. We will also isolate the Ethernet from the digital audio section.
-- The Squeezebox only handles 16/44.1 but the Logitech Transporter handles up to 24/96, so we need to modify the squeezebox to accept 24/96 files.
-- Perhaps we should include an optional upsampler that we can turn on and off, if it does not degrade sound quality going into the REF1 or other DACs.

If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to post them. I imagine it will take a few months to complete, but good things come to those who wait.
wink.gif

I think this is the post you're looking for, pompom. I'm using a SB3 as my primary source & I'd pay proper money if the above made a significant difference to digital out sq. As you've said, the ipod touch/ipeng control solution is superbly convenient & I really couldn't see myself going back to spinning discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back