Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread
Feb 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #106 of 199
I got my NFB a few weeks ago, and I'm loving the unit.  Today I tried using the optical input with it and a friend's laptop to try a 24/192 recording, since my computer doesn't have an optical port.  For some reason, however, the volume would stay at a certain level no matter how high I turned it up.  When I actually listened to the 24/192 recording, I could hear a distinct static buzz in recordings.  Has anybody tried the NFB optical and had a similar problem?

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #107 of 199
the volume issue doesn't make any sense at all - that only happens at 24/192?

The static is normal - optical really isn't that effective at such a high res (I'm surprised you got that high) - you wont have that issue with COAX and even less if you used BNC.  But making sure all your optical connections are in tight and straight (with no cable weight weighing them down) could help.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #108 of 199

Quote:
the volume issue doesn't make any sense at all - that only happens at 24/192?

The static is normal - optical really isn't that effective at such a high res (I'm surprised you got that high) - you wont have that issue with COAX and even less if you used BNC.  But making sure all your optical connections are in tight and straight (with no cable weight weighing them down) could help.

The volume issue happened for everything I used.  I turned it down to zero, and it was still at the same volume.  All the connections were tight, but the volume issue persisted and the static was present.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #109 of 199
Quote:
The volume issue happened for everything I used.  I turned it down to zero, and it was still at the same volume.  All the connections were tight, but the volume issue persisted and the static was present.

The static may be due to your friend's computer being under heavy processing load.  This happened at a meet and was fixed when a bunch of the source computer's other processes were stopped manually.  This was after trying to adjust the buffer and the latency to something less demanding, to no success (though I'd like to think it helped).

As far as the volume: were you trying to adjust the volume using the buttons on the NFB unit?  My experience with my own computer is that changing the computer's output volume will not have an effect.  You'll need to change the volume of the amp, or else the software (if it has its own volume control), but not the computer's main volume, assuming your situation is anything like mine.

My own question:  I absolutely love my solid state amp, but after hearing some very delectable tube amps, I am sorely wanting one to add to my rig.  Exactly what I was afraid of.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I was really hoping I wouldn't want to acquire gear after buying the NFB-10SE.  Anyone else out there feeling this?  Sorry about (y)our wallets!

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #110 of 199

Quote:

As far as the volume: were you trying to adjust the volume using the buttons on the NFB unit?  My experience with my own computer is that changing the computer's output volume will not have an effect.  You'll need to change the volume of the amp, or else the software (if it has its own volume control), but not the computer's main volume, assuming your situation is anything like mine.

I tried adjusting the volume on the NFB itself, but to no avail.

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #112 of 199

Quote:
Optical only works to 24/96.

According to the Audio GD site, the unit supports up to 24/192 using optical or coaxial.  

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #113 of 199
if it got a perfect signal at that rate then it would probably work but that's not likely to happen.  Optical has something like 50x more jitter than BNC.  I always recco to everyone to use COAX.  Optical is just too touchy - I can move all the cables behind my stereo and the movement of the optical cable will cause the sound to change and get staticy.  Playing with the connection while playing music will make the sound staticy.

It also depends on the sender in your source.  My Oppo sends at enough strength that I can use an optical switch without problem (except for hires) but none of my other sources have an optical sender strong enough to even get through the switch at any resolution. 

I've tried various optical cables too with no change.  Though I haven't tried any really expensive, real glass ones.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #114 of 199
I want one of these babes :xf_eek:

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #116 of 199
Hoping someone can help me out with this...

My current setup is a PS Audio DLIII connected by optical to my PC (through a dedicated soundcard).  The PS Audio currently outputs to a Virtue Audio T-amp which I have powering my HE-5LE's (through a balanced (4-pin) to speaker cable adapter).

I'm in the market for some desktop monitors and seem to have decided on the Emotiva Airmotiv4's.  The problem this poses is that I now need to either purchase a pre-amp to control the speaker volume or purchase an all-in-one solution which will serve as a DAC, pre-amp for my active speakers and headphone amp as well. 

From what I've gathered reading quite a few threads, the Audio-gd NFB-10SE is perfect for my needs.  Am I correct in assuming that?  The Airmotivs have XLR input and I can connect my HE-5LE's through the balanced headphone input?

I'm assuming this is all very simple but I want to be sure before I decide to sell my PS Audio and my T-amp.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Side note: Would something like the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus serve my purposes as well?  Can anyone comment on the headphone amp re the HE5-LE's?

Sorry if I'm getting off topic.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #117 of 199
I've got a similar setup in my bedroom - NFB-10SE powering a pair of Swan t200B speakers over the XLR dac out and a HE6 via the balanced headphone out. The 4 pin balanced out has tons of power, close to 6 watts at 50 Ohms, which can drive the HE6 to earsplitting volumes. 

From the specifications, the DacMagic Plus is a dac first, the headphone amp part doesn't look super impressive. See review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581591/dacmagic-plus-impressions/30#post_7946836

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #118 of 199
Thank you steve2151.  I think I've made up my mind to order the Audio-gd.  Now it's on to selling my existing equipment 
tongue.gif

Where did you purchase the Swan speakers?  I hadn't heard of them until you mentioned them.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #119 of 199
Picked them up on the sale forums here, but if you want a new set, I'd recommend buying from the Audio Insider here:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-t200b-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&cPath=21_24&products_id=78&osCsid=3735cb53ef978382720a58fd1970b7f6

I purchased my previous old set of M200MKII from these guys and they were a pleasure to do business with. They were also willing to sell me a new remote for the T200b for $40.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #120 of 199
What was your experience with the M200MKII? I think the T200b's are a little out of my price range (even with the current sale) but the M200MKIII's are on sale for the same price as the Airmotiv4's.  Living in Canada I don't get a chance to audition either of these so I'm basing myself on reviews... Not the best method but my only option really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back