Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Jun 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,291 of 1,379
There is a chance I will be getting a Liquid Fire for review. If so, I will be able to compare the WA22 / HD800 with the LCD-2 / LF. That would be fun!

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #1,292 of 1,379
That would be cool, but I also like the idea of an ultimate shoot out.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #1,293 of 1,379
Quote:Originally Posted by Currawong 

"What might be an interesting comparison would be these cans, but each with a separate rig most suited to them individually. Comparing entire set-ups would be quite fun I think."

For a brief time I have both of these cans with three different amps. I suppose that would be several different combinations.

That said, using one setup with the two headphones as the only variable makes it easier to evaluate the actual headphones involved.

True, but with their radically different FR and impedance, I am thinking for people who want to consider an entire "end game" rig with either of these headphones. You want each at their best and most enjoyable. It'd be good as well if someone wrote up comparisons with each with less than ideal gear too and compare the experience.

For some reason the quote didn't show up, but I had much the same in mind regarding the HD-800s with a euphonic tube amp and the LCD-2s with the best balanced SS. This is much what you get to experience at a meet.

There is a chance I will be getting a Liquid Fire for review. If so, I will be able to compare the WA22 / HD800 with the LCD-2 / LF. That would be fun!

I regret I never got to try the HD-800s with the Stacker, now I think of it.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #1,294 of 1,379
Quote:Originally Posted by Currawong 

"True, but with their radically different FR and impedance, I am thinking for people who want to consider an entire "end game" rig with either of these headphones. You want each at their best and most enjoyable. It'd be good as well if someone wrote up comparisons with each with less than ideal gear too and compare the experience.

For some reason the quote didn't show up, but I had much the same in mind regarding the HD-800s with a euphonic tube amp and the LCD-2s with the best balanced SS. This is much what you get to experience at a meet."

Here's the wrinkle as I see it. Let's take skylab. He really enjoys the WA2 amp with the HD800. (put the tube choices aside for a moment) I, on the other hand preferred the WA6SE with the HD800. I also really like it with the beta22. We have much different preferences. None right or wrong. Just opposite.

On the other hand I felt the LCD2 worked very well with the beta22 but, as excellent as it is, the LCD2 isn't my top choice of headphone. The LCD2, to me, was not a good match with the WA2 as it come off as too slow and dark.

So what I have is a headphone I love (HD800) with an amp I don't think is my perfect match (WA2). Then we have a headphone that isn't my absolute favorite (LCD2) well matched with an amp I enjoy (beta22). What kind of review is that?

That said, I feel the LCD2 works best with a well powered solid state amp even though the WA2 drove them properly and the WA6SE was a good match. I also don't feel that the HD800 is only optimized with an OTL amp. The transformer coupled WA6SE was more to my choosing and I feel that if there are people out there that want to soften up the HD800 somewhat without it possibly being too soft the WA6SE is an alternative.

Rob feels differently about the HD800 and amping than I do. And for those that have his preferences the WA2 may be for them.

The HD800 and LCD2 are as different as the WA2 and beta22 are different.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #1,295 of 1,379

Quote:
Skylab talked about some of this in the Woo Audio Unite thread, his initial impressions are that the LCD-2 with Leben, Decware, and Trafomatic, are still a better combo than the HD-800 and WA-22, but he seems to think that the WA-22 were just what the HD-800 needed, at least to get some usage.  I don't own a pair of HD-800s yet, but I'll probably pick up a pair.  Then perhaps I can try listening to some different combinations.

To Each Their own!   But I hope you listen to each of these headphones with your amp if you can, before your purchase........ I'll still take the HD-800's ........... Just my taste!

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #1,297 of 1,379
Quote:Originally Posted by bumblingbooby 

"So does that mean no forthcoming comparative review of these phones from you baka1969? I was looking forward to it."

I'll put together some impressions with the two amps but not a full blown review. Hopefully I'll have something tonight. Here's a hint: I'll probably mention Pink Floyd at least once.

:)

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,298 of 1,379
Just curious, what do people on this thread think of Christianity vs. Atheism? Giants vs Dodgers? Democrats vs Republicans? Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice?

And SERIOUSLY I am "JK" please don't answer... just think this "LCD-2 vs HD800" was a brave topic to post, and pleased to see, for the most part, a remarkably civil discussion on it :)

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,300 of 1,379
There is such divisive opinions on the HD800 and the LCD2. It certainly makes for entertaining reading. I know my preferences diverge from others here on Head-Fi. So in no way are my views definitive. Just one point of reference. Please bare that in mind.

As I said in an earlier thread that the HD800/WA2 vs the LCD2/beta22 was a challenge for me. I am a big fan of the HD800 but the WA2 isn't my first choice of amp. Also, I'm a big fan of the beta22 amp but the LCD2 isn't my first choice of headphones. Please don't take it as an indictment of the WA2 or the LCD2. It's not. I think the HE500 and WA2 are a terrific match.

The HD800 together with the Woo WA2 would seem by many to be the perfect pairing. There are those here that think it is. I can understand why. But to me the WA2 takes away some of the HD800's character instead of enhances it. To me, the WA2 softens things up too much for my tastes and makes it a it too laid back. I'm sorry I just didn't personally like the WA2 and HD800 as well as others have.

The LCD2 with the beta22 is the best amp I've heard with it. It lightens up the LCD2 and opens it up. I just still wish the top end was a bit more forward and the soundstage was a tad more expansive. The LCD2 still does vocals amazingly with the beta22 amp. Bass really tightens up even further than it already has with tube amps. As much as the beta22 amps really makes the LCD2 show off it's strengths, it still falls short of what I like.

So there you have it. I know I may anger several here and I apologize it I have offended anyone. I just stated what I feel and my opinion.

Peace,

Ross

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #1,302 of 1,379
baka, you have some good points I reckon. I went the opposite way to many people with the HD-800 and preferred a silver cable with it to enhance the treble, rather than a copper cable to "soften" it. The tube amp I liked with them (aside from the fact it wasn't as detailed as my Phoenix) was the rare Audiovalve RKV. If I could have kept the level of detail of the Phoenix, it would have been a perfect match for me. I can only wonder what they would have been like on the Woo amps.

I wouldn't be surprised if your preferences have much to do with the music you like though. That is very often forgotten in these kinds of discussions.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #1,303 of 1,379

Quote:
Just to echo what everyone else seems to be implying...

This assumes that there is one, and one alone, sound signature that everyone is striving for, which is simply untrue. For some audiophiles, a completely neutral frequency response is the goal, allowing them to hear a recording as it was intended. For others, a warmer, more lively sound is the ideal. Which is correct? Neither. This is a hobby, not an Olympic contest. Different people have different preferences and expectations.

Both the HD800 and LCD-2 are excellent headphones, but they excel in different areas and offer very different sonic experiences. The HD800 delivers an amazing (for a headphone) sound stage while emphasizing small details in high frequencies. The LCD-2, on the other hand, offers a much more intimate sound stage with natural instrument tones and rolled off highs. Which is the best? That can only be decided on an individual basis. For me, it's the HD800. For others, it's the LCD-2.

Having spent some time with both phones, the above post mirrors my own perspective and leaves me with little to add. 
smile.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #1,304 of 1,379

Quote:
There is such divisive opinions on the HD800 and the LCD2. It certainly makes for entertaining reading. I know my preferences diverge from others here on Head-Fi. So in no way are my views definitive. Just one point of reference. Please bare that in mind.

As I said in an earlier thread that the HD800/WA2 vs the LCD2/beta22 was a challenge for me. I am a big fan of the HD800 but the WA2 isn't my first choice of amp. Also, I'm a big fan of the beta22 amp but the LCD2 isn't my first choice of headphones. Please don't take it as an indictment of the WA2 or the LCD2. It's not. I think the HE500 and WA2 are a terrific match.

The HD800 together with the Woo WA2 would seem by many to be the perfect pairing. There are those here that think it is. I can understand why. But to me the WA2 takes away some of the HD800's character instead of enhances it. To me, the WA2 softens things up too much for my tastes and makes it a it too laid back. I'm sorry I just didn't personally like the WA2 and HD800 as well as others have.

The LCD2 with the beta22 is the best amp I've heard with it. It lightens up the LCD2 and opens it up. I just still wish the top end was a bit more forward and the soundstage was a tad more expansive. The LCD2 still does vocals amazingly with the beta22 amp. Bass really tightens up even further than it already has with tube amps. As much as the beta22 amps really makes the LCD2 show off it's strengths, it still falls short of what I like.

So there you have it. I know I may anger several here and I apologize it I have offended anyone. I just stated what I feel and my opinion.

Peace,

Ross

This sounds perfectly reasonable, and beautifully stated, to me. I owned both LCD-2 and HD-800 for several months, and ended up keeping the 800s, for ergonomic and other reasons. I appreciate that you prefer one over the other in your system and with your music, and don't feel the need to derogate the other. I seem to spend less and less time on these forums -- reviews like this make me happy to return. Thank you.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #1,305 of 1,379

Quote:
This sounds perfectly reasonable, and beautifully stated, to me. I owned both LCD-2 and HD-800 for several months, and ended up keeping the 800s, for ergonomic and other reasons. I appreciate that you prefer one over the other in your system and with your music, and don't feel the need to derogate the other. I seem to spend less and less time on these forums -- reviews like this make me happy to return. Thank you.

+1 to everything writen here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back