Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,366 of 1,379

Quote:
I feel that there are some nasty problems with the design of the LCD2 that are deal breakers. 

Well, I'm not going to argue w/ that.  There's a reason I don't own one.  You should have just said that from the beginning lol.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,367 of 1,379

Quote:

If you don't like my views, both of you can take a hike for all I care. :D  ( love ya both though :)  Just because they are using a specific technology does not justify their size and DISCOMFORT.  Believe it or not i do have design experience and I feel that there are some nasty problems with the design of the LCD2 that are deal breakers.  I am not really in the business of lying to myself just to justify a purchase, it seems like some people are doing that.  Thats just fine, but the size of the LCD2 makes no sense, it could have been smaller and have sounded identical to the way it does.  

No.

Just because it makes use of giant ortho drivers doesn't mean it HAS to have a giant soundstage, the presentation is entirely different. You want a more analytical and spacey presentation, you go for the HD800... you want power, weighty sound, emotion, and soul, you go for the LCD-2.

And again, the LCD-2's soundstage isn't small. The HD800 has a massive 'stage, but it's ALWAYS massive, even on recordings where you know it shouldn't be. The LCD-2 'stage sounds different between an orchestral piece and a small club piece.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #1,368 of 1,379
Alright, I'm just going to come out and say it.  All 4-5 times I've heard the LCD2 (both revisions) through various sources/amps (Schiit, Eddie Current, Woo, Burson, Audio gd) 'weight, power and emotion' do NOT come to mind.  I seriously don't hear it and I know a few others as well that are perplexed by these descriptions.  My T50RP has weight and power but I never get that from the LCD2.  I'm seriously at a loss with some of the descriptions of the LCD2.  It took me my third listen w/ the HD800 to figure that one out but the LCD2 still mystifies me.  Compared to the HE6 I'll totally agree that the LCD2 is weightier and more powerful but that's a rather low bar in that context IMHO.

confused_face_2.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,369 of 1,379

Quote:
Alright, I'm just going to come out and say it.  All 4-5 times I've heard the LCD2 (both revisions) through various sources/amps (Schiit, Eddie Current, Woo, Burson, Audio gd) 'weight, power and emotion' do NOT come to mind.  I seriously don't hear it and I know a few others as well that are perplexed by these descriptions.  My T50RP has weight and power but I never get that from the LCD2.  I'm seriously at a loss with some of the descriptions of the LCD2.  It took me my third listen w/ the HD800 to figure that one out but the LCD2 still mystifies me.  Compared to the HE6 I'll totally agree that the LCD2 is weightier and more powerful but that's a rather low bar in that context IMHO.

confused_face_2.gif

Blasphemy!
smile.gif

BTW, there is no "one size fits all headphone". Then again, the LCD-2s are my favourites to date.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,370 of 1,379

Quote:
Blasphemy!
smile.gif

BTW, there is no "one size fits all headphone". Then again, the LCD-2s are my favourites to date.

Yup for sure.  I'm just wanting to hear the brilliance everyone else is.  I used to consider myself an Ortho guy but the LCD2 and HE6 aren't doing it for me.  When an Ortho guy ends up w/ an HD800 I mean WTH?!

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #1,371 of 1,379

Quote:
Yup for sure.  I'm just wanting to hear the brilliance everyone else is.  I used to consider myself an Ortho guy but the LCD2 and HE6 aren't doing it for me.  When an Ortho guy ends up w/ an HD800 I mean WTH?!

You must be an outlier then. Not to worry, you're unique.
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #1,372 of 1,379

Quote:
Well, I'm not going to argue w/ that.  There's a reason I don't own one.  You should have just said that from the beginning lol.

I don't own it either but I do know the technology like the back of my hand.  I am a designer, Sir :p  While I am not a true master of the craft I do know enough about it to understand that Auduze said "Here, take this giant piece of gear and enjoy!"  That is no different than any other brand in regards to full size cans.  The technology exists to implement it into a much smaller housing and retain the same signature and presentation, not only in terms of clarity but also soundstaging.  And Yes, driver size does have something to do with the vastness of the soundstage in loudspeakers   

Funny loudspeakers were mentioned because I recall going to concerts and being able to pick up on a pretty huge soundstage with only two massive speakers on each end of the stage, vs my home guitar amplifier which is tiny by comparison and doesnt have anywhere near the soundstage of the pro piece of gear.  Despite this, there are loudspeakers I've taken on gigs with me that are about the size of my guitar amp that sound immensely large.  So that tech exists, Audeze did not invest the time into figuring out how to infuse that with their LCD2.   So my point was totally valid, the size of their housing makes no sense to me.  But that is no different than many other sets out there.  

I absolutely love the LCD2, in fact I am placing an order for one sometime in the next week or two after I get back from a business trip.  I really enjoyed them when I got the chance to hear it, but I looked immensely silly with them on and that is something I am just not able to justify no matter how great they sound.

Quote:
No.

Just because it makes use of giant ortho drivers doesn't mean it HAS to have a giant soundstage, the presentation is entirely different. You want a more analytical and spacey presentation, you go for the HD800... you want power, weighty sound, emotion, and soul, you go for the LCD-2.

And again, the LCD-2's soundstage isn't small. The HD800 has a massive 'stage, but it's ALWAYS massive, even on recordings where you know it shouldn't be. The LCD-2 'stage sounds different between an orchestral piece and a small club piece.

You are arguing with yourself and stating what I said with different words.  Go back and read my post that you are replying to.  I implied that there is no reason for it to be that size as the giant othro drivers do not reflect its soundstage, and if that is fact then there is no reason for the housing to be that large.  You agreed with me, thanks for the support! 

:D

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,373 of 1,379

Quote:
You must be an outlier then. Not to worry, you're unique.
smile.gif

That coming from a Canadian is a profound statement.  I accept the compliment.  
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #1,374 of 1,379

Quote:
You are arguing with yourself and stating what I said with different words.  Go back and read my post that you are replying to.  I implied that there is no reason for it to be that size as the giant othro drivers do not reflect its soundstage, and if that is fact then there is no reason for the housing to be that large.  You agreed with me, thanks for the support! 

:D

So you're saying that the only reason the drivers should be big is soundstage?

Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Don't worry about it, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Even with the "lowly" HDP, my LCD-2 r1 has immense power and weight that amazes me constantly. Nothing else that I've heard has this, the HE500 is the only that comes near it. I understood the "amazing" factor of the HD800 upon my first listen, and I thought the LCD-2 was garbage my first listen... so as always YMMV.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,375 of 1,379

Quote:

That doesn't mean you're not an ortho guy.  Really, how many orthos have you heard?  You've only heard the Fostex, and then the Hifiman and Audeze take on the technology.  That's not really enough to make conclusions about the tech as a whole IMO.  Imagine if your only dynamic exemplars were HFI680, GS1000, and DT990.  My God, you'd think dynamics were a screechy unnatural bunch of codswallop.  Orthos aren't a new technology, but making the tech produce audiophile results is new, and it has a lot of room for improvement. 

But you could also just be unique. 
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #1,376 of 1,379

Quote:

I don't own it either but I do know the technology like the back of my hand.  I am a designer, Sir :p  While I am not a true master of the craft I do know enough about it to understand that Auduze said "Here, take this giant piece of gear and enjoy!"  That is no different than any other brand in regards to full size cans.  The technology exists to implement it into a much smaller housing and retain the same signature and presentation, not only in terms of clarity but also soundstaging.  And Yes, driver size does have something to do with the vastness of the soundstage in loudspeakers  

Funny, I thought you were a youngen because of your avatar. 
biggrin.gif
  I do think there is an advantage to a larger driver, probably in resolution for one.  But I agree that great results can be obtained with smaller drivers.  I've gotten soundstage that beats the HE6 and LCD-2 by quite a bit with little 38mm ortho drivers in custom enclosure. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #1,377 of 1,379
swbf, can you tell us what ortho headphones you've designed?  This is news to me.  You'd also know that driver size isn't the only thing that determines soundstage...cup design, driver angle, padding size all have bigger roles. FWIW I've yet to hear an ortho that has a large soundstage.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #1,378 of 1,379

Quote:
That doesn't mean you're not an ortho guy.  Really, how many orthos have you heard?  You've only heard the Fostex, and then the Hifiman and Audeze take on the technology.  That's not really enough to make conclusions about the tech as a whole IMO.  Imagine if your only dynamic exemplars were HFI680, GS1000, and DT990.  My God, you'd think dynamics were a screechy unnatural bunch of codswallop.  Orthos aren't a new technology, but making the tech produce audiophile results is new, and it has a lot of room for improvement. 

But you could also just be unique. 
tongue.gif

I did hear the HE500 too.  No comment.  
tongue.gif
  That was somewhat dark but I suspect the source to be at fault there.  I need to have another listen to the 500.  If you have a Wharfdale to loan me I'll have a listen.  
wink.gif
  If you consider the number of Orthos available atm, percentage wise I think I have a case to make so it's not quite the same thing as the dynamics example.  
biggrin.gif
  All I want from an Ortho is Stat effortlessness w/ rich, natural timbre and solid low end presence when called for.  Call me crazy.  

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,379 of 1,379
Many of you are very far off base.  Some of you are a little off base.  In general this thread is too far gone in my opinion turn around.  Most of you are expressing mistaken opinions.  That's ok, opinions are like navels.  Everybody's got one.

Therefore, I'm closing the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back