Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #1,157 of 6,385
Quote:

This means I made the right choice. 
biggrin.gif

Regardless of which I may have actually preferred, you made a good choice 
beerchug.gif
.  The GS-X is sooo good.  It would've easily been the best amp I heard all day, if I hadn't heard the Liquid Gold. I couldn't really make any conclusions based on my experience today though.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #1,159 of 6,385

At the price difference.  I would say so.  If it comes down to a hard to say.   The LAu would have to wipe the floor clean with the GS-X mk2 for me to even look at that price.  That's just me.

Well, like I said, given its price, it wasn't even on my radar, but now it is. I say "hard to say" because of the conditions of the comparison. There is a difference. The question is how much, and I'm not qualified to say after just a few minutes of listening to each.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #1,160 of 6,385
With different sources and cans.  Hard to say where the difference really was.  For me it's simple, at $8500 for the LAu and LCD-3... I'd rather have the BHSE and SR-009 for the same money.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #1,162 of 6,385
Quote:
With different sources and cans.  Hard to say where the difference really was.  For me it's simple, at $8500 for the LAu and LCD-3... I'd rather have the BHSE and SR-009 for the same money.

That's the thing about the listening conditions at these shows, I guess.  I listened to the SR-009/BHSE right after the LCD-3/GS-X.  Within the few minutes I listened, it was hard to find where (price considered) the difference was.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,163 of 6,385

Quote:

Exactly. Getting solidly into Stax 009 territory there. Blue Hawaii and 009 is a good ultimate end game destination? I was also wondering just how much difference there really is between the GS-X MkII and the LAu amps...

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #1,164 of 6,385

Quote:
Quote:

That's the thing about the listening conditions at these shows, I guess.  I listened to the SR-009/BHSE right after the LCD-3/GS-X.  Within the few minutes I listened, it was hard to find where (price considered) the difference was.

What dac was being used in the GS-X/LCD3 system you listened to?

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,165 of 6,385
What dac was being used in the GS-X/LCD3 system you listened to?

Talk about poor comparisons, the GS-X was hooked up to a reel-to-reel drive. I can't remember what the SR-009's source was. I just remember thinking the GS-X/LCD-3 more than held its own.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,167 of 6,385
After listening to my LCD-3s powered by Schitt Bifrost Uber/Lyr combo I am still very pleased, but I still yearn to hear what the solid state and balanced output of the Gungnir/Mjolnir combo can add to the experience.  In the under $2K price range can anyone recommend a better option for driving the LCD-3s?  The general opinion seems to be that the Burson Conductor would be a great worthy alternative, but since I am generally pleased with the Schitt "sound" I am concerned that the Burson's more "laid back" sound may not be to my liking?

Thanks again for any and all input. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,168 of 6,385
Burson Conductor sound is anything but laid back. Quite energic with great prat.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,169 of 6,385
Quote:
Burson Conductor sound is anything but laid back. Quite energic with great prat.

Ah, well that may be my misunderstanding after reading pages and pages of discussion.  The idea of a single box solution does appeal to me from a desk space perspective. Based on my research it appears I can acquire a conductor for around the same $ as the Schitt stack?  Damn, once again, living 2000 miles from the nearest dealer of any head-fi gear really sucks! LOL.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,170 of 6,385
Quote:
Ah, well that may be my misunderstanding after reading pages and pages of discussion.  The idea of a single box solution does appeal to me from a desk space perspective. Based on my research it appears I can acquire a conductor for around the same $ as the Schitt stack?  Damn, once again, living 2000 miles from the nearest dealer of any head-fi gear really sucks! LOL.

Schiit has a 15 day return policy and so do many of the Burson dealers. It might cost you a bit but if your agonizing and getting to try each will be the solution, divide the extra cost into the many, many happy hours of enjoyment, then cost of trying them out is a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back