Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,141 of 6,388
Quote:
Finally got to hear the GS-X Mk2 (with my LCD-3's).  No one would be disappointed with it.  It is very well built and sounds amazing.

I also got to hear the Liquid Gold though.  Wow.  I've never even considered one because of its price.  I am now.

QUICK! Which one more impressive?

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,142 of 6,388
Quote:
By my math: $5200/$1995 = 2.6X 
size]

Not 2.6X better, but worth every penny. 
size]

Quote:

Sorry, I fixed it! You just didn't give me the chance... haha. 

Anyways, that is the fight that is currently going on in my head...

The other consideration is the STAX needs a special type amp. For instance the Mojo would not power it.

Taking the plunge and buying the 009 is always in my head. And last week I wrote the US factory rep asking about when they would get some in stock.
I read the reply and erased right away...so not to be tempted :)  I think they said it takes 6-8 weeks after ordering.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,143 of 6,388
No, you're right. Not 3x the price. The LCD-2s are not THAT much better to warrant the price difference. HiFiman's HE-500 at $699 are sanely priced and the LCD-2s should be priced comparably.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,144 of 6,388
Quote:

The other consideration is the STAX needs a special type amp. For instance the Mojo would not power it.

Taking the plunge and buying the 009 is always in my head. And last week I wrote the US factory rep asking about when they would get some in stock.
I read the reply and erased right away...so not to be tempted :)  I think they said it takes 6-8 weeks after ordering.

Correct. You're going to need a dedicated stat amp. Traditional amps can't swing 1200V. 
size]

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,145 of 6,388
Quote:

Quote:
Correct. You're going to need a dedicated stat amp. Traditional amps can't swing 1200V. 
size]

Right......what's interesting is Stax sells amps and while I don't subscribe to the threads, I never read anywhere about pairing the 007 or 009 with one of their amps.  

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,146 of 6,388
Quote:

Right......what's interesting is Stax sells amps and while I don't subscribe to the threads, I never read anywhere about pairing the 007 or 009 with one of their amps.  

Ironically, not very good.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,147 of 6,388
Quote:

Quote:
Ironically, not very good.

Go figure.......the best HP maker should be able to make a contender. Oh well......

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #1,148 of 6,388
I think it was around $2500 less if you buy from Japan.
Quote:

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,150 of 6,388
Exactly. I still miss the intimacy and the finer details that headphones gave me. However, I guess I'm just the speaker type. Currently sporting floorstanding omni room fillers but might get monitors as well just because these room fillers... are loud... Loud enough that I feel uncomfortable listening to them after 6PM since all 5-6 neighbors in my condo probably hear me if I leave my veranda door open (which I have to because it's way too hot in Vancouver right now). 

Quote:

No argument there.  Headphones are a compromise at worst and a tool at best.  Even at the level I've gotten to with my headphone rig, if no one is around I use the Dynaudio monitors.  They aren't anywhere near as good as the LCD-3 but they are just as enjoyable.

The intimacy is the whole reason I shied away from IEMs and eventually headphones too because it was way too intimate for me. I like my music ambient as I don't do detailed listening seshs because I can't afford to do that. Also, speakers just create an atmosphere, which headphones and CIEMS will never do. This atmosphere is why I prefer speakers infinitely more than headphones or IEMs. Turning on Norah Jones just creates that undeniable mood in the room. Lastly, turning on some classical, the imaging is so 3D with speakers, if I close my eyes and adjust the volume, it really just feels like I'm in the seats of a performance, and this goes for any kind of music as well. We're all different, and I understand some just prefer headphones to speakers.
Quote:
I have a nice 7.1 speaker set-up that I enjoy listening to but I simply can't get as close to the music. Films, yes, the experience is unparalleled through speakers. And music does sound superb and enjoyable through good speakers. But the experience of listening to orchestral music through HD800s or Jazz through LCD-3s brings me that much closer to the music. The intimacy is the soul of the experience and I can't reproduce that through my speakers. I wish I could. My wallet would be much thicker.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,154 of 6,388
Quote:

QUICK! Which one more impressive?

Hard to say.  I had ditched my LCD-3's by then.  I was more "wow'd" by the LG (+ Abyss) though.

I did also listen to Audeze's Eddie Current Balancing Act + LCD-3 setup, just before the GS-X.  I preferred the GS-X.  The GS-X was connected to a reel-to-reel drive, so that may have had something to do with it.

I was also very impressed by the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs + Mjolnir setup.  If I were going to buy a full sized, closed set, it would probably be the Alpha Dogs, even if they were much more than the $600 they are.

I'm tempted to go back tomorrow and spend more time with the GS-X and Liquid Gold, but that's nearly a 2-hour drive
frown.gif
  I didn't have as much time as I would've liked today.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #1,155 of 6,388
Quote:

Hard to say.  I had ditched my LCD-3's by then.  I was more "wow'd" by the LG (+ Abyss) though.

I did also listen to Audeze's Eddie Current Balancing Act + LCD-3 setup, just before the GS-X.  I preferred the GS-X.  The GS-X was connected to a reel-to-reel drive, so that may have had something to do with it.

I was also very impressed by the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs + Mjolnir setup.  If I were going to buy a full sized, closed set, it would probably be the Alpha Dogs, even if they were much more than the $600 they are.

I'm tempted to go back tomorrow and spend more time with the GS-X and Liquid Gold, but that's nearly a 2-hour drive
frown.gif
  I didn't have as much time as I would've liked today.

This means I made the right choice. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back