Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #6,346 of 6,385
They look like the ones I bought in early 2018 and sold about 1.5 years ago. When I sold them they had very low hours on them, and were in mint condition other than the same peeling vinyl as those, although it wasn't as bad at that time.
I even sold them with the plastic still on the headband. Did you buy them from Canada?
Nevermind, I just found the serial number from mine: 2822393.
Which I believe yours would also be a 2018 model then.
I loved them at first, with an RME adi-2 dac fs. But then after having a calibrated home theatre system for a few years, I like the 2022 model HD600's better, that are EQ'd and using Tidal hifi and LDAC 990 from a Fiio BTR7 with a balanced cable.
The HD600's give up a slight amount of clarity and detail from the LCD3's, but I prefer the more natural tone, accuracy, dynamic drivers, and lighter weight of the HD600's.
Interesting, and I could see how for some the more natural sound of the HD600, while probably less engaging initially, has better staying power. Love the Muskoka region, very beautiful part of the world no doubt.

Jul 22, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #6,347 of 6,385
I loved my LCD-2's so much that I sold them and my Clear MGs and impulsed bought some new LCD-3's without a demo.

Running them off my Element III (approx 2W@32ohm) and I feel I'm missing something, I just don't think it's a good pairing. I'm considering an upgrade to a Schiit Jotunheim or Lyr3+.

Does anyone have any experience with these and Schiit? I could possibly compliment the Element 3 with something tube for sub $1000
Both my Quicksilver and Woo WA6+ bring out THE LCD3’s true timbre of instruments and vocals in the (perceived) recording space, and drive it beautifully. For me they’re way more alive than the Asgard 3 and Jot (as they should be for the respective prices). And the WA6+ “specs out” at way less than 1W into all normal impedances. Lotsa-Wattsa isn’t the key to sonic bliss.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #6,348 of 6,385
I just picked up a new to me LCD3. It has the updated headband, metal mesh behind the drivers instead of fabric, black L and R sockets instead of chrome, and black pads instead of brown (I'm not sure if these are the new open cell pads). Impressions to come.

Here is the graph:

unnamed.png

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #6,349 of 6,385
This may have been covered before, but here’s a quick fix I just discovered for those of you who, like me, are bothered by the lack of clearance between the steel springs and the leather sling in the LCD headband. Apparently, I was misinformed when I posted a while back that you shouldn’t remove the 4 screws from the little boxes that hold the headband in place and through which the adjustment rods slide. Thus, all you need to do is remove those 4 screws and move the bottom two holes on the metal spring to the top two holes, leaving the leather sling where it is. You end up with only two screws holding the metal spring in place, with all 4 still holding the plate (where it says L or R) and leather strap. This gives you plenty of clearance, makes the headphones feel 10x lighter and far more comfortable. Whether or not it changes the sound is probably debatable, but I sense a slight increase in transparency which I could theorize about but it’d just be guessing. Totally reversible if you don’t like it. A simple, 5 minute, free ‘mod’ that instantly resolves a common quibble with these otherwise stellar cans.

YMMV, and all that.

NB: This ‘mod’ is NOT officially sanctioned by Audeze, and don’t even attempt it if you’re not comfortable with using a small screwdriver (I used one from a jeweler’s tool set) in close proximity to easily scratched wood, strong magnets and micro-thin drivers. All that being said, IMHO, as long as you take it slowly and carefully, it’s a risk-free home run.

IMG_6846.jpeg

Before

71346992161__C2CDA857-D54C-4BDD-A600-1C0A8F39F27A.jpeg

After

IMG_6847.jpeg

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #6,350 of 6,385
I have too many headphones right now and I've been trying to figure out what I truly like and what might just be a momentary burst of enjoyment. I honestly gave up on the LCD-3's because I think I ventured away from the genres they do so well. Other than the weight, I've come to have a lot of good reasons to keep these now. Listening to instrumental music really brought me back to these. As others have mentioned, I'm really starting to appreciate their visceral bass tones and relaxing overall detail. Not finding any part of the range to be fatiguing. I stated before that the bass can seem unnatural at times but I almost wonder if its just my ears? Who knows. I've just been trying to wrap my head around the fact that a lot of music I'm used to just sounds different on every headphone and I shouldn't dismiss a pair for sounding obscure in short listening sessions. The reality is that these present the sound in ways that I have never heard before and didn't know where possible. Anyway, back to the LCD-3's we go!

Currently relaxing well to Yoshihiro Koseki's "Fresh Air" guitar solo album.

Btw, do we head-fiers like spotify links like this? Not sure how I feel about it taking up a lot of the screen.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #6,351 of 6,385
Just bought a pair to compare to my LCD-2Cs which are my favorite out of the bunch. Will post comparisons when they arrive

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #6,352 of 6,385
I can see why these compare so heavily to the LCD-2 (2c). If the LCD-2c is like walking down a dimly lit hallway, the LCD-3 is like having an extra light towards the end. More detail but not overly bright (even as someone who is treble sensitive). Bass detail is much better, quantity is a hair more, but I love bass, so nothing that bothers me personally. They are a bit less nice with poor quality recordings than the 2C, but still very musical and not as clinical as the HE1000v2 or even the Radiance. If I had to rate my headphones on a musical-clinical scale it'd be:

Musical
LCD-3
LCD-2C
Radiance
He1000v2
Clinical

With that being said, the LCD-3 is similar in quality as the HE1000v2 (the 1000v2 is probably a little better with technicalities) but much more cozy, musical, weighty and warm when compared to the He1000v2, which is more cool, detailed and spacious.

I wouldn't dare call the LCD-3 detail monsters (which seems to be what most online audiophiles are after), but they are very musical. I understand why they aren't the most popular headphone out there. If you want something super musical the LCD-2c is right there for $800, if you want something super detailed the Hifiman planars can't be beat for the price. But if you love the 2c but want a bit more musicality and detail, the LCD-3 is a great option.

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #6,353 of 6,385
My 3F is more technical and more resolving than my HE6SE V2. Which one I enjoy more depends on the music I'm listening to.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #6,355 of 6,385
Haven't had my LCD-3f's for long but I love their detail. With these it's not about throwing all the detail at your face and more about presenting it to you in a very relaxing and palpable way.
Yeah it really feels like a LCD-2C+.

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #6,356 of 6,385
Hi,

I have a LCD3 Zebrano I just bought this year. I love them but things changed and I trimming my collection, moving again to speakers.

I bought the new from HiFi Suite (Germany) for about 2350 EUR. I had them for sale for 1600 EUR, no interest, now up for 1.500 EUR.

But I wanted to ask, what is generally the used price for these? They are in immaculete condition and with all accessories/box.

Sep 24, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #6,357 of 6,385
Hi,

I have a LCD3 Zebrano I just bought this year. I love them but things changed and I trimming my collection, moving again to speakers.

I bought the new from HiFi Suite (Germany) for about 2350 EUR. I had them for sale for 1600 EUR, no interest, now up for 1.500 EUR.

But I wanted to ask, what is generally the used price for these? They are in immaculete condition and with all accessories/box.
People are asking 1500 eur but they are probably selling closer 1100 eur; I think there was an LCD3 hanging around the classifieds here until it dropped to 900 USD or so.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #6,358 of 6,385
People are asking 1500 eur but they are probably selling closer 1100 eur; I think there was an LCD3 hanging around the classifieds here until it dropped to 900 USD or so.
Yeah they don't hold their value well used. Upgraded mine to carbon fiber, still under warranty and haven't been able to sell them for 1200 USD. I'd guess it's because they've been around so long that there are a lot out there and especially those older ones drive down the perceived value.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #6,359 of 6,385
Thanks for the replies. It is sad. When I bought my new there was none in the classifieds (just really old ones).

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #6,360 of 6,385
Yeah I bought mine from a guy on reddit with an upgraded leather strap and the carbon fiber headband for 1100 and I think they were up for a month before I grabbed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back