Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #6,316 of 6,385
Edit: I tried the piano track on dac2x and HEK via USB and same result. I think dac2x and HEK out resolves Klimax and LCD3 by a little and even better micro dynamics. They both sound very good. Enjoyable piece.
That's the thing, I enjoy the track on every headphone listed in my sig except the LCD-3. Obviously the Utopia outresolves the LCD3.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #6,317 of 6,385
That's the thing, I enjoy the track on every headphone listed in my sig except the LCD-3. Obviously the Utopia outresolves the LCD3.
So dac is probably fine, otherwise your Utopia would not be happy. I am guessing something is not right with your LCD3 - could be PF. I have a late 2022 LCD3 and don't have your issue.

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #6,319 of 6,385
Hey folks, I just purchased an LCD-3f second hand and am considering changing ear pads. They came with the pads that were attached before the "open cell" ear pads were released. The pads that are on there now are in basically like-new shape but I've read that the open cell ear pads noticeably improve the sound. I am also aware that Dekoni sells various pads for the LCD models and I'm not sure which pads would be the best to try if I decide to go that route. Has anyone tried the old OG, Open Cell, and maybe a Dekoni elite solid leather pad? Was there one you preferred the most? Am I just wasting my money replacing a pair of like-new set of pads that are currently on my headphone? if you did replace your old pads for the open cell version.. how did you notice the sound improve (specifically on your LCD3-f)?

Any insight from the community would be much appreciated!

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #6,320 of 6,385
Just get the new open cell pads. I replaced my LCD2 with the open cell pads and they are more comfortable and help with the recessed upper mids Audeze's are known for. My LCD3 came with open cell pads so I can't speak to the difference before and after. There's a FR chart of the effect of the new open cell pads floating around if you dig through some of the forum posts on Audeze threads. Basically anyone will tell you the new pads were a significant upgrade over the previous ones. Considering Audeze fully switched over to these open cell pads on majority of the models should tell you everything you need to know..

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #6,321 of 6,385
Get the newer pads! You may even prefer the non-leather ones as I do. I heard these at CanJam last fall and loved them. Then ordered an open box set, thinking they were current but they were 2018s. They were both less comfortable and not at all what I’d heard and what made me buy them. Got a 2022 to replace them and there were those beautiful mids I’d heard at the show. I had wondered what the “sucked out mids” comments from the past were about because I didn’t hear them that way, until the 2018s with old pads arrived.

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #6,322 of 6,385
Just get the new open cell pads. I replaced my LCD2 with the open cell pads and they are more comfortable and help with the recessed upper mids Audeze's are known for. My LCD3 came with open cell pads so I can't speak to the difference before and after. There's a FR chart of the effect of the new open cell pads floating around if you dig through some of the forum posts on Audeze threads. Basically anyone will tell you the new pads were a significant upgrade over the previous ones. Considering Audeze fully switched over to these open cell pads on majority of the models should tell you everything you need to know..

Where do you get them, and is it easy to remove the old pads an install the new ones?

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #6,323 of 6,385
Where do you get them, and is it easy to remove the old pads an install the new ones?

I've replace pads for LCD3 and 4. The key is preparation. When you remove the old pads, also remove any old glue completely. For this, I use Tea Tree oil if you encounter stubborn glue residue. When you have a clean surface, applying the new pads is easy and will work like a charm. There are some Youtube videos that will show you how to do it.

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #6,324 of 6,385
20230417_173410.jpg

Back to the future with Auralic Taurus Mk2. Picked it up for $500 USD locally. LCD3 Pre fazors are singing on this.

I did try a Singxer SA1 and that was ok at best. Too thick sounding and smearing low level details. And too much warmth.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #6,325 of 6,385
20230417_173410.jpg
Back to the future with Auralic Taurus Mk2. Picked it up for $500 USD locally. LCD3 Pre fazors are singing on this.
A Taurus for $500?! Nice buy, congrats! 🎉

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #6,326 of 6,385
Bonjour,
Im new to this forum. I would like to share my EQ for my LCD-3. I would like if you can post your EQ so I could test it.
Thank you !

LCD-3 2014 Fazor SN:271663
I also attached the Frequency Response Graph provided by Audeze.
unnamed.png

EQ Tested
##################################################
# v1 : Great Soundstage, Nice high, Body 9/10
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 0.70
Filter 2: ON HS Fc 12000 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 0.70
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 0.80
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 0.80
# v2 Full Body, Great Base, Less sparkles but maintaint nice high
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 0.70
Filter 2: ON HS Fc 12000 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 0.70
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 0.80
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 0.80
# v3 Full Body EDM ++, Great Base, High balanced to neutral
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 0.70 /// More Body and filing base to get a balanced soundstage
Filter 2: ON HS Fc 12000 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 0.70 /// Bigger Soundstage
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 900 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 0.80 /// Added this to boost male voices body
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 0.80 /// 1/2 Female Voice Control and soundstair air and size
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 0.80 /// 2/2 Female Voice Control and soundstair air and size
# v4 Close to original signature, Good and detailed base and etra clarity in guitar and vocals
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 75 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 1.00 /// Added this to boost base (not bloated)
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 1.41 /// Extra Clarity, won't change the soundstage and non-percing syllables

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #6,328 of 6,385
LCD-3 Pre fazor is the best headphone Audeze ever made- period. It has bass weight and impact, midrange weight and presence and superb resolution. It delivers music with heft and power like nothing else I have ever heard......... Dark deep tonal saturation, with excellent air and resolution- when powered correctly...

Regarding the dip in the treble, just replace the old pads with the new 2022 pads- and the dip is undipped....

May 18, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #6,329 of 6,385
It is crazy to me how personal this hobby is. I have tried so many headphones. All the new stuff- Cladera, Expanse, LCD-4z, LCD-5, Susvara, phi TC. HE1000SE, Atrium, Elite.

All of them are excellent- but the new stuff is not necessairly better than the old..... The LCD-3 pre fazor has tonal saturation that blows them all away- but without dulling resolution.

I would say the resolution is perhaps a half step behind the Expanse and LCD-5- two of the most detailed headphones available in 2023, and way ahead of the Caldera and 4z, yet the presentation is not dry and technical like the Expanse and LCD-5, but rather mellow and euphonic, like the direction of the Cladera- but more so;- but with incisive punch like the Phi TC, which the Cladera just does not have. It really hits hard- with grunt and power but with a much more balanced presentation that the TC. It is the best of all the new stuff in one old package.

And beyond that, perhaps the most impoetant point is the depth and layering. None of the new stuff is anywhere close to the LCD-3 pre-fazor. This makes the music sound more 3D, while the new stuff is flat in comparison. Music is so much more natural and real with the proper layering, and sounds artificial without it...

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #6,330 of 6,385
LCD-3 Pre fazor is the best headphone Audeze ever made- period. It has bass weight and impact, midrange weight and presence and superb resolution. It delivers music with heft and power like nothing else I have ever heard......... Dark deep tonal saturation, with excellent air and resolution- when powered correctly...

Regarding the dip in the treble, just replace the old pads with the new 2022 pads- and the dip is undipped....
Yep. I did the same with mine (updated the pads). Very very good headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back