Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #5,776 of 6,388
Man, that sucks that the seller is not helping you out. May be 50% refund so that you can properly fix it. Now, it is a matter if the +$500 repair price is justifiable to you (remember that this also buys you the three-year warranty). Personally, i wouldnt try to repair the cans by anyone else except Audeze. It's not a diy project that one can take on.

Have you tried to explain ur situation with Audeze? May be they can help out the repair cost; after all, this is a known issue with their products and a second-hand buyer may not be aware of. My experiences had been really positive with Audeze, repair services and turn around times, etc.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5,777 of 6,388
Man, that sucks that the seller is not helping you out. May be 50% refund so that you can properly fix it. Now, it is a matter if the +$500 repair price is justifiable to you (remember that this also buys you the three-year warranty). Personally, i wouldnt try to repair the cans by anyone else except Audeze. It's not a diy project that one can take on.

Have you tried to explain ur situation with Audeze? May be they can help out the repair cost; after all, this is a known issue with their products and a second-hand buyer may not be aware of. My experiences had been really positive with Audeze, repair services and turn around times, etc.
yeah, the right channel was dead on arrival and the seller wont accept a refund, even partial. I will talk to audeze but so far it looks like it will be $580 to repair and would be replaced with fazored drivers assuming the drivers indeed need to replaced.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5,778 of 6,388
Ok, been listening for a while and I'm unhappy with my conclusion. I hate to say it, it feels like the LCD-3F is a better pairing with the RME DAC than the Brooklyn. I don't think it's the amp but the 3F sounds surprisingly good out of my crappy Lyr 2. It also sounds surprisingly good right out the front of the RME. I have some good tubes the guys in the Lyr 2 tube rolling thread recommended and they're really magic with this set of headphones.

I was listening on Tidal to mostly MQA. So I decided to let the desktop app do the unfold to rule out the fact the Brooklyn supports MQA and the RME doesn't. That didn't help.

I think the 3F is more resolving than I remember. It's been almost a year since I listened to it. Great recordings with a lot going on sound amazing. Eberhard Weber for example. A lot of recordings sound dry but the RME seems to help this a lot, it's just a more musical pairing for me.
MQA is a scam as far as i can tell

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #5,779 of 6,388
is it a good idea to use HE Adapter (box) + Speaker amp to Drive LCD-3 ? i want to check before i attempt since i find Hugo 2 TT not enough to drive it.

20201114_170310.jpg

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #5,780 of 6,388
is it a good idea to use HE Adapter (box) + Speaker amp to Drive LCD-3 ? i want to check before i attempt since i find Hugo 2 TT not enough to drive it.

20201114_170310.jpg
Tf2 not able to drive it ?
I had such combination like 2 months ago and never heard any hint of underpowered LCD 3.
Maybe pairing is not for your taste.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #5,781 of 6,388
Tf2 not able to drive it ?
I had such combination like 2 months ago and never heard any hint of underpowered LCD 3.
Maybe pairing is not for your taste.

i guess i will give it more time and try till i see change in sound. i just got it. (2nd hand)

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #5,782 of 6,388
i guess i will give it more time and try till i see change in sound. i just got it. (2nd hand)
I'm guessing your feel of lacking power is due to bass being extremely well controlled and tight.
At the beginning it could be seen as lack of driving capability. Bit with time you will just realize how clean and fast everything sound.
Other sources will be too bassy and muddy. Just give it some time.
I had similar feelings when I had switched from TT1 to TT2

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #5,783 of 6,388
The LCD-3 do need some power and I'm not surprised the Chord doesn't drive them as you might want but I would definitely not recommend the speaker adapter. I run mine off a V280 or Lyr 2.

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #5,784 of 6,388

20201114_170310.jpg
To be honest I run my LCD3, HE500, HE1000 and Ether Flow 1.1 off of the speaker taps without a box. Depending on how much power the amp has you should be fine, however, it is risky so use your own judgement.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #5,785 of 6,388
I run my LCD3 off a Burson Conductor 3X reference balanced, 30yo Marantz CD80/PM80 unbalanced and Astell & Kern SP1000M DAP balanced. all sound great. Burson is best. Everyone said a DAP wouldn't work. It does. Even AK70 does an ok job. Astell and Kern are beasts.

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #5,786 of 6,388
The LCD-3 do need some power and I'm not surprised the Chord doesn't drive them as you might want but I would definitely not recommend the speaker adapter. I run mine off a V280 or Lyr 2.

I guess it may all depend if it is lcd3 or lcd3f. The latter seems much more easy to drive. I have lcd3f and it seems my otl amp is able to drive lcd3f with ease.

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #5,787 of 6,388
I guess it may all depend if it is lcd3 or lcd3f. The latter seems much more easy to drive. I have lcd3f and it seems my otl amp is able to drive lcd3f with ease.
I don't get it. We're talking about a battery operated device from Chord that has nothing to do with tube amps.

OTL amps are not a good choice for low impedance planars and they're not famous for lower power. I have no idea what your comment about your OTL amp being able to drive the LCD-3F with ease is supposed to mean or how it relates to what I wrote.

Nov 15, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #5,788 of 6,388
yeah, the right channel was dead on arrival and the seller wont accept a refund, even partial. I will talk to audeze but so far it looks like it will be $580 to repair and would be replaced with fazored drivers assuming the drivers indeed need to replaced.
Where did you buy them from? Local seller or on the forum? Put the seller on blast. He knowingly pawned off a junk set of headphones on you. Audeze will not work with you regarding the price. I tried. They argue that 580 (not including shipping and tax) is their cost to repair the headphone. I personally don't agree since a couple of years back they were charging 300 something to repair the headphones. When I brought that up they said that it was a long time ago and I should expect the price to increase. Increase yes, double and still tell me that is cost nope not buying it.

Nov 15, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #5,789 of 6,388
I don't get it. We're talking about a battery operated device from Chord that has nothing to do with tube amps.

OTL amps are not a good choice for low impedance planars and they're not famous for lower power. I have no idea what your comment about your OTL amp being able to drive the LCD-3F with ease is supposed to mean or how it relates to what I wrote.
My point was lcd 3(f) are not difficult to drive and chord should be able to do it. Otl was only an example of not powerful amp driving lcd 3f.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #5,790 of 6,388
My point was lcd 3(f) are not difficult to drive and chord should be able to do it. Otl was only an example of not powerful amp driving lcd 3f.

I had a Chord Mojo and it powered my Lcd3f's easily. Hard to tell with the glow buttons, but I usually listened in the dark orange area, so maybe 20% volume? And the loudest I probably ever had it was maybe at 50%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back