Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #5,806 of 6,385
Hi guys I am buying myself a pair of used LCD3. Anyone knows whether there are any updates since the 2016 driver revision? The LCD3 seems to have a simpler family tree of revisions than the LCD2, but it is confusing nonetheless. Thanks in advance.
Yeah if no warranty I'd stay away. Even with warranty plan to spend 600 plus when the drivers eventually go out after warranty.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #5,807 of 6,385
Yeah if no warranty I'd stay away. Even with warranty plan to spend 600 plus when the drivers eventually go out after warranty.
The only part of this that's true is the trepidation of driver failure on old models. Myself and other people in this thread have LCD3's from 2016 that are still going strong. Yes it's true that some of the old models have had driver failure but the majority of post 2017 models have gone strong with no issues.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #5,808 of 6,385
The only part of this that's true is the trepidation of driver failure on old models. Myself and other people in this thread have LCD3's from 2016 that are still going strong. Yes it's true that some of the old models have had driver failure but the majority of post 2017 models have gone strong with no issues.
Trepidation exists for all LCD-3's depending who you ask. Different people will have different points of view based on their experience. I've seen many 2017 plus fail. My friend bought a pair on my recommendation in 2017 that failed just 2 weeks ago. Implying my post is false and then using anecdotal evidence to back yours doesn't make much sense. You really can't call my experience untrue. These drivers are not durable at all compared to other planars thats a fact. I've had more problems with these than any other cans I've owned put together. That's a fact. My LCD-3 are on their second set of drivers. Thats a fact. LCD-3s have a lifespan whether some people would like to admit it or not. I don't expect mine with fresh drivers to last 10 years most likely not even 5. This is a warning for potential buyers and not directed towards the Audeze fan boy club.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #5,809 of 6,385
Trepidation exists for all LCD-3's depending who you ask. Different people will have different points of view based on their experience. I've seen many 2017 plus fail. My friend bought a pair on my recommendation in 2017 that failed just 2 weeks ago. Implying my post is false and then using anecdotal evidence to back yours doesn't make much sense. You really can't call my experience untrue. These drivers are not durable at all compared to other planars thats a fact. I've had more problems with these than any other cans I've owned put together. That's a fact. My LCD-3 are on their second set of drivers. Thats a fact. LCD-3s have a lifespan whether some people would like to admit it or not. I don't expect mine with fresh drivers to last 10 years most likely not even 5. This is a warning for potential buyers and not directed towards the Audeze fan boy club.
You criticize me for using anecdotal evidence (which is fine) then use your own anecdotes to back up your argument (not fine). I bolded your more egregious use of anecdotes to make my point.

You can go into the Arya thread right now and see at least three people reporting sever channel imbalance; you can go into the D8000 thread and see a couple people complaining of distortion and excursion problems. I don't follow the Utopia thread but I certainly remember there being driver failures and excursion issues there too. If you have actual evidence that the LCD3 has experienced more driver failures or QC issues than Hifiman headphones, show us the evidence. Otherwise, its your hearsay versus mine.

There is a very legitimate argument to be made for luxury products having such consistent issues with QC, but you can't state your anecdotal evidence as fact that LCD3 drivers are not durable and then discount or ignore anecdotal evidence saying otherwise or pointing out that multiple other planars have similar problems.

If you want to accuse me of being a fanboy and say anecdotal evidence is useless, fine, just don't pretend that your anecdotal evidence is anything but that; for all we know, your consistent driver failures could be due to misuse and no fault of Audezes.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #5,810 of 6,385
You criticize me for using anecdotal evidence (which is fine) then use your own anecdotes to back up your argument (not fine). I bolded your more egregious use of anecdotes to make my point.

You can go into the Arya thread right now and see at least three people reporting sever channel imbalance; you can go into the D8000 thread and see a couple people complaining of distortion and excursion problems. I don't follow the Utopia thread but I certainly remember there being driver failures and excursion issues there too. If you have actual evidence that the LCD3 has experienced more driver failures or QC issues than Hifiman headphones, show us the evidence. Otherwise, its your hearsay versus mine.

There is a very legitimate argument to be made for luxury products having such consistent issues with QC, but you can't state your anecdotal evidence as fact that LCD3 drivers are not durable and then discount or ignore anecdotal evidence saying otherwise or pointing out that multiple other planars have similar problems.

If you want to accuse me of being a fanboy and say anecdotal evidence is useless, fine, just don't pretend that your anecdotal evidence is anything but that; for all we know, your consistent driver failures could be due to misuse and no fault of Audezes.
You completely missed it. I criticized you for calling my post false when you are backing yours up with anecdotal evidence. I am using anecdotal evidence as well which is why I stated that different people will have different views based on their experiences but was not calling anyone out for giving their opinion as you did. Like you said your hearsay vs mine. That we can agree on.

LCD-3 are not durable. My 2008 z06 came from the factory with bad heads that are prone to fail. Thats a fact. It is a known issue and design flaw. GM knows this as do the owners. Certainly there are still people who are driving them around without any head work that would argue that the car as is is very reliable and the cause must be user error. Those people are misinformed. The fact that Audeze has had as many drivers go out as they've had goes to show that it cannot be only user error. Just in this thread there are people on their 4th plus set of drivers.. Nice of you to assume that the drivers going out were my fault. I'm not surprised though since your post was baseless to begin with.

I didn't accuse you of being a fan boy but if the shoe fits. :)

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #5,811 of 6,385
You completely missed it. I criticized you for calling my post false when you are backing yours up with anecdotal evidence. I am using anecdotal evidence as well which is why I stated that different people will have different views based on their experiences but was not calling anyone out for giving their opinion as you did. Like you said your hearsay vs mine. That we can agree on.

LCD-3 are not durable. My 2008 z06 came from the factory with bad heads that are prone to fail. Thats a fact. It is a known issue and design flaw. GM knows this as do the owners. Certainly there are still people who are driving them around without any head work that would argue that the car as is is very reliable and the cause must be user error. Those people are misinformed. The fact that Audeze has had as many drivers go out as they've had goes to show that it cannot be only user error. Just in this thread there are people on their 4th plus set of drivers.. Nice of you to assume that the drivers going out were my fault. I'm not surprised though since your post was baseless to begin with.

I didn't accuse you of being a fan boy but if the shoe fits. :)
Like I said, other headphones have had and do have QC issues. If we are going on hearsay, I would argue Hifiman has more driver failures across models than Audeze.

Whether or not you think I am being unkind by questioning user error as a source of failure, it is something that has to be taken into account. If your involved in shooting sports and you keep missing the target, eventually you can't blame the gun. Its certainly true that not everyones failures are due to that (the LCD4 change from 100ohm to 200ohm to increase driver durability is a great example), but its worth asking how one person has had 4 or more failures while others have not.

To my knowledge, the only company that hasn't had driver failures is ZMF, that might just be because Zach has produced less drivers overall and can keep tighter control over the product.

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #5,812 of 6,385
Like I said, other headphones have had and do have QC issues. If we are going on hearsay, I would argue Hifiman has more driver failures across models than Audeze.

Whether or not you think I am being unkind by questioning user error as a source of failure, it is something that has to be taken into account. If your involved in shooting sports and you keep missing the target, eventually you can't blame the gun. Its certainly true that not everyones failures are due to that (the LCD4 change from 100ohm to 200ohm to increase driver durability is a great example), but its worth asking how one person has had 4 or more failures while others have not.

To my knowledge, the only company that hasn't had driver failures is ZMF, that might just be because Zach has produced less drivers overall and can keep tighter control over the product.
Fair enough I see your point and agree with this post.

One thing I will say on your analogy. In shooting sports I would compare the headphones failing to a fail to fire rather than missing the target. I can compensate for a off sight but I can't do anything if the gun isn't firing to begin with.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #5,813 of 6,385
Thank you all for the input. I have a pair of LCD2 from 2012 still rocking. So it seems the 2016 driver upgrade was the last revision Audeze has done? I guess emailing Audeze with the S/N would probably get an answer.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #5,814 of 6,385
Thank you all for the input. I have a pair of LCD2 from 2012 still rocking. So it seems the 2016 driver upgrade was the last revision Audeze has done? I am wondering if there's a way to tell the diference between early-fazor drivers (which people say to avoid) and those after the 2016 revision. I guess emailing Audeze with the S/N would probably get an answer.
From what Audeze told me they are constantly revising and improving the drivers in the LCD-3. I'm not sure to what extent though. All fazor models will feel and look the same when the headphone is assembled. Emailing Audeze with the SN would be best. Try to buy local if possible so you can test.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #5,816 of 6,385
I haven't pad rolled. I'm happy with the stock pads. If you buy an aftermarket set make sure they come with the double-sided tape rings.

Steel suspension band definitely worth it. I can't imagine wearing mine with the old style head plow.

Don't know about the clamp but a new steel headband should help.

Nov 26, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #5,817 of 6,385
LCD-3 Owners. Questions!

Best pads for them?
The steel suspension headband worth it?
Best way to increase clamp? Mine came a touch loose.
Dekoni pads add a little air to the midrange and increase clamp, buy the steel headband and bend it inwards for even more clamp.

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5,819 of 6,385
Hi, can anyone comment on the very latest (mesh behind the grill) LCD-3s presentation vs the pre-fazor creamy/lush mids of the old school model ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back