Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #5,761 of 6,385
Hey guys, I was away from my main setup for a long time. I was listening to my LCD-3F (2019) last night and I started to feel like they make bad recordings sound almost as crap as the HD 800s do. But even when I listened to some good recordings I'm not sure I like them now. I can't describe it but the lush feeling seems less than I remembered and they feel a little bit thin and not so lively. Does anybody have any comments regarding the sound quality and also do you have some favorite recordings that the LCD-3F does great on? Tidal links would be ideal but if not I'll try to search for them. Thank you.

I vote for songs from Diana Panton (Album: I believe in little things) and Chie Ayado (Album: Life).

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #5,762 of 6,385
Dead Can Dance's Song of the Stars (Remastered) sounds incredible on my LCD-3Fazor coming from my Cayin HA-300 + Chord Hugo TT2! Also, I highly recommend everyone to get the Sablon 2020 Panatela USB cable. What big improvement as a USB cable!

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #5,763 of 6,385
Ok, been listening for a while and I'm unhappy with my conclusion. I hate to say it, it feels like the LCD-3F is a better pairing with the RME DAC than the Brooklyn. I don't think it's the amp but the 3F sounds surprisingly good out of my crappy Lyr 2. It also sounds surprisingly good right out the front of the RME. I have some good tubes the guys in the Lyr 2 tube rolling thread recommended and they're really magic with this set of headphones.

I was listening on Tidal to mostly MQA. So I decided to let the desktop app do the unfold to rule out the fact the Brooklyn supports MQA and the RME doesn't. That didn't help.

I think the 3F is more resolving than I remember. It's been almost a year since I listened to it. Great recordings with a lot going on sound amazing. Eberhard Weber for example. A lot of recordings sound dry but the RME seems to help this a lot, it's just a more musical pairing for me.

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #5,764 of 6,385
Ok, been listening for a while and I'm unhappy with my conclusion. I hate to say it, it feels like the LCD-3F is a better pairing with the RME DAC than the Brooklyn. I don't think it's the amp but the 3F sounds surprisingly good out of my crappy Lyr 2. It also sounds surprisingly good right out the front of the RME. I have some good tubes the guys in the Lyr 2 tube rolling thread recommended and they're really magic with this set of headphones.

I was listening on Tidal to mostly MQA. So I decided to let the desktop app do the unfold to rule out the fact the Brooklyn supports MQA and the RME doesn't. That didn't help.

I think the 3F is more resolving than I remember. It's been almost a year since I listened to it. Great recordings with a lot going on sound amazing. Eberhard Weber for example. A lot of recordings sound dry but the RME seems to help this a lot, it's just a more musical pairing for me.
Have you tried your RME with the V280?

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #5,765 of 6,385
Have you tried your RME with the V280?
No, it's too much of a PITA to pull everything out of the cramped space and swap cables. I did listen out of the headphone jacks on both and the RME is clearly doing a better job. I have no idea why, but I'm sure of it.

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #5,767 of 6,385
I recently purchased a lcd3 pf secondhand. It arrived with the right channel not working. I am trying my luck to see if I can diagnose the problem and repair it, but I don't see any obvious signs of damage. If anyone knowledgable in repairs could help me out via PM, I would be extremely grateful. :) I have taken pictures of the driver and solder points of the wires and can take additional pictures as necessary.

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #5,768 of 6,385
I recently purchased a lcd3 pf secondhand. It arrived with the right channel not working. I am trying my luck to see if I can diagnose the problem and repair it, but I don't see any obvious signs of damage. If anyone knowledgable in repairs could help me out via PM, I would be extremely grateful. :) I have taken pictures of the driver and solder points of the wires and can take additional pictures as necessary.
Have you contacted the seller about this?

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #5,769 of 6,385
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #5,770 of 6,385
The membrane is probably torn, severed the electrical pathway. You are not going to be able to see or repair the torn membrane. You will have to send it back to repair. The magnet placement is critical, without right tools, you shouldn't try to fix it. So sorry to hear about it.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #5,771 of 6,385
Unfortunately the seller is not cooperating :frowning2:
Paypal support is atrocious but their Dispute Resolution is pretty amazing. If you bought through paypal, document everything including uncooperative seller etc. and start a claim.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #5,772 of 6,385
Paypal support is atrocious but their Dispute Resolution is pretty amazing. If you bought through paypal, document everything including uncooperative seller etc. and start a claim.
unfortunately I did not use a payment option that has any dispute process. My only option is to fix the headphone myself, send it to audeze or sell it for parts.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #5,773 of 6,385
unfortunately I did not use a payment option that has any dispute process. My only option is to fix the headphone myself, send it to audeze or sell it for parts.
Bad news, sorry about that :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #5,774 of 6,385
Your best bet is to get in touch with Audeze. Give them the cans' serial number and ask them whether it's still under warranty. Audeze keeps tracks of all the repairs. Most likely that the cans will fail before the warranty period (like mine which keeps crapping out, for the ninth time and counting). Hope the shipping back to Audeze is not too troublesome for you. So sorry to hear this. This is why i can't and won't sell my lcd3, feel like i'll be dumping a continuing problem on someone else.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #5,775 of 6,385
Your best bet is to get in touch with Audeze. Give them the cans' serial number and ask them whether it's still under warranty. Audeze keeps tracks of all the repairs. Most likely that the cans will fail before the warranty period (like mine which keeps crapping out, for the ninth time and counting). Hope the shipping back to Audeze is not too troublesome for you. So sorry to hear this. This is why i can't and won't sell my lcd3, feel like i'll be dumping a continuing problem on someone else.
it is an lcd3 pf made manufactured in 2012 and there is no warranty remaining. Audeze said that there inventory which was started in 2015 has no record of the serial number. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back