Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #5,731 of 6,385
Hi guys, I searched this thread but couldn't find an answer. What's the current out if warranty driver replacement cost for an LCD-3? Have a friend with a slightly older fazor model and dead right driver. Thanks.
I think its $800, but you may as well email Audeze and ask them.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #5,732 of 6,385
Hi guys, I searched this thread but couldn't find an answer. What's the current out if warranty driver replacement cost for an LCD-3? Have a friend with a slightly older fazor model and dead right driver. Thanks.

Just email Audeze. If you're lucky like me, after three weeks or so you'll receive a response that doesn't answer the question and you can start all over again :D

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #5,734 of 6,385
Thanks guys, will pass on that info. I sold my own LCD-3 a while back for exactly this reason - was too scared to use them! I do miss them very much though...
I guess if your rough on stuff and tend to break things it makes sense but for most users if they've lasted 3 years they probably won't break

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #5,735 of 6,385
Thanks guys, will pass on that info. I sold my own LCD-3 a while back for exactly this reason - was too scared to use them! I do miss them very much though...

Thanks for your posts in the R2R-11 thread. I found them very sane and informative. Unfortunately I got to yours after I had ordered it. I have a few hundred SACD rips. My unit is on a plane from China, I hope it works well with DSD.

Back on topic it seems like Audeze quality is such that like @kid vic said if they don't break soon they'll last forever. Very nice cans but I'd definitely go for the new headstrap if your friend has the old style.

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #5,736 of 6,385
Thanks for your posts in the R2R-11 thread. I found them very sane and informative. Unfortunately I got to yours after I had ordered it. I have a few hundred SACD rips. My unit is on a plane from China, I hope it works well with DSD.

Back on topic it seems like Audeze quality is such that like @kid vic said if they don't break soon they'll last forever. Very nice cans but I'd definitely go for the new headstrap if your friend has the old style.
I've since replaced the R2R-11 with the R-28. Well worth it if you get the chance. Fabulous synergy with the LCD-3 and no DSD issues.

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #5,737 of 6,385
I've since replaced the R2R-11 with the R-28. Well worth it if you get the chance. Fabulous synergy with the LCD-3 and no DSD issues.

I have a bunch of chip DACs and one fpga DAC and wanted to try R2R specifically. For the price of the R2R-11 I hope I'll be satisfied with it. If I decide to spend the price of the R28 I'll probably get the Soekris since it would be easier to get support if needed. Well that was my theory anyway, but my email to Soekris went unanswered. So a bit of thinking to do but I have time now. Glad to hear the R28 plays DSD perfectly though :) Thanks.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #5,738 of 6,385
I wish Burson would build their gear with onboard PSUs. My RME is the only device I have that needs a wall PSU, I hate that.

Anyway yeah I find the LCD very easy to drive, certainly do not need balanced power out of a decent amp.
EDIT I followed the cable to the wall behind my AV setup and actually, it does appear to have a PSU on the power cable. I think I got the right cable...... it is a mess back there. But the reasoning must be solid by burson and if you asked them I'm sure it delivers a lower noise floor than if it was inside the case. and it's gotta be worth it for a lower S/N ratio?

And you might not need it, but the balanced option sounds better if you have it. I've run my LCD3s and LCDxc's on the single ended output from by burson CX3 reference and Astell and Kern SP1000M, both sound great, but the balanced outputs on both are better. Definitely worth the money I spent on the cables. Well, I had a balanced audeze OEM cable but it was only about 1.5m long. Cardas custom made me a parsec balanced 5m cable with 4 pin XLR for use with the conductor and also now I can sit anywhere in my lounge room and listen. Cardas also custom made me a balanced 1.5m 4 pole 2.5mm plug to go into my Astell and Kern SP1000M and that was an improvement as well. Although, I can't be certain how much of the improvement was due to balanced and how much to the cable construction.

However, my single ended Audeze OEM cable does not sound as good as the Audeze OEM 4pin XLR balanced cable.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #5,739 of 6,385
I run balanced or unbalanced depending on which amp I want to use. Just meant to point out that people don't need to buy a balanced amp just to run a pair of LCD-3 off of because they're easy to drive.

Does balanced result in lower noise? Yes. Can you hear the difference? No, not unless you have an electrical noise problem in your system.

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #5,740 of 6,385
I run balanced or unbalanced depending on which amp I want to use. Just meant to point out that people don't need to buy a balanced amp just to run a pair of LCD-3 off of because they're easy to drive.

Does balanced result in lower noise? Yes. Can you hear the difference? No, not unless you have an electrical noise problem in your system.
Right, balanced is only superior when the architecture of the amp treats a balanced connection better OR if there is a flaw in the line that balanced might correct.

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #5,741 of 6,385

There's another difference. It doesn't matter with the C3X cos it has so much power but balanced doubles the power out of my A&K SP1000M DAP. So running full size audeze from a portable DAP balanced makes a big difference.

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #5,742 of 6,385
Just email Audeze. If you're lucky like me, after three weeks or so you'll receive a response that doesn't answer the question and you can start all over again :D
That's interesting I've got great responsive service from audeze. But ive never had anything broken ive just asked for advice on things like sources and cables and how close the LCDxc are to the LCD3s cos i needed some closed back headphones but didn't want to be disappointed with the comparison. And it turned out the LCDxcs are sensational and very close to the LCD3s. And in OZ they are $1000 cheaper than the 3s but they dont sound $1000 cheaper.

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #5,743 of 6,385
I've found the best dac/amp combination yet for my Lcd3f's;
Using Tidal Hifi through my old iPhone 6s, plugged into a Marantz hd-dac 1, out to a Topping L30 amp.
With the L30 gain in the middle setting at 0db, volume at 10 o'clock is usually quite loud, and haven't turn it past 12 o'clock for longer than a few seconds.
I wanted to improve on the Chord Mojo's deep bass output and hopefully get a little wider Soundstage.
With the Marantz HD dac-1 alone, it gave a fuller sound, lower bass, and better tonality than the Mojo, but gave up a small amount of clarity and the bass wasn't as controlled.
After reading several times that the Dac-1 has a great dac and only a decent amp, I thought I'd try it with the L30.
It worked out amazingly well. It has all of the benefits and no downsides that I can hear.
It has the same extreme clarity of the Mojo, but with deeper bass, slightly wider soundstage, just as good or better detail, more natural and better tonality.
I don't think it's worth my time or bigger cost to keep looking for further improvements. I've listened to even higher end headphones and found them too bright for me. I've only heard the Lcd3's with a couple higher end Dacs. But from what I can remember, I like this combo as much or more than with the Hugo TT or Dave, so for now my search is over. Highly recommended.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #5,744 of 6,385
As of a email this morning they are charging $580.00 US for driver replacement plus shipping and handling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back