Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #5,746 of 6,385
Do you need to replace both drivers if only one is dead? $580.00 is for replacement of the one.(i.e. do you need to double the amount?)

My lcd3s are fine, but would be good to know just in case...

In the past they have changed both.

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #5,748 of 6,385
It makes sense to change both.
So usd580 is for both?

I have no idea how much Audeze takes for new drivers, but I hope that the price you had was for both.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #5,749 of 6,385
Do you need to replace both drivers if only one is dead? $580.00 is for replacement of the one.(i.e. do you need to double the amount?)

Pretty sure they change out both drivers, because Audeze seems to revise their drivers quite often, would suck to have 2 drivers badly mismatched.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #5,750 of 6,385
It makes sense to change both.
So usd580 is for both?
They change both for 580 plus shipping and tax even if only one is out. They said its because they want them matched and balanced. Also regarding turn around time. Its been a month since they received them and I'm still waiting for my headphones to be ready to ship back to me. Will be selling these and moving to another brand after I receive them. Hope that helps

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #5,751 of 6,385

Usually you replace both drivers, since they need to be matched in terms of output, and there are also revisions from time to time...
I would believe that the price is for both drivers but don't take my word for it.

EDIT: didn't see others already answered...

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #5,752 of 6,385
Hey guys, I was away from my main setup for a long time. I was listening to my LCD-3F (2019) last night and I started to feel like they make bad recordings sound almost as crap as the HD 800s do. But even when I listened to some good recordings I'm not sure I like them now. I can't describe it but the lush feeling seems less than I remembered and they feel a little bit thin and not so lively. Does anybody have any comments regarding the sound quality and also do you have some favorite recordings that the LCD-3F does great on? Tidal links would be ideal but if not I'll try to search for them. Thank you.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #5,753 of 6,385
Hey guys, I was away from my main setup for a long time. I was listening to my LCD-3F (2019) last night and I started to feel like they make bad recordings sound almost as crap as the HD 800s do. But even when I listened to some good recordings I'm not sure I like them now. I can't describe it but the lush feeling seems less than I remembered and they feel a little bit thin and not so lively. Does anybody have any comments regarding the sound quality and also do you have some favorite recordings that the LCD-3F does great on? Tidal links would be ideal but if not I'll try to search for them. Thank you.
Rebecca Pigeon's Rose in Spanish Harlem puts a smile on my face whatever it's played on. Lilac Wine by Jeff Buckley. Simple by KD Lang. Anything by KD lang. Anything by Tracy Chapman. KId A or Amnesiac by Radiohead. Songs in the Key of life by stevie wonder.

And if you can dig up a quality recording of Sarah Vaughan ft Kirk Stuart's duet of Misty (Live In Copenhagen) Mercury Records 1963 it is truly sublime. even if it's the low res youtube version it will put a smile on your face. I have it on a compilation CD.

Rolling stone magazine just released a new list of the best 500 albums of all time. Plenty of food for thought. Marvyn Gaye's "What's going on" came in at number one. Abbey road was high up. Kinda blue by miles davis. But it doesn't matter what styles of music you like there'd be something on that list for ya. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...b4v9ig_Ci-stRssUwlYbNz3fADuaN2czjrrEOjtj9kq6w

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #5,754 of 6,385

What amp are you using? I was never that happy with my 2017 LCD-3F's until I started using better amplification.
Even going with a Chord Mojo was a big step up from the integrated amps and other cheaper portable amps I tried.
Then going up to a Marantz HD Dac-1 provided much better tonality and natural sound, but was a small step down in clarity from the Mojo.
So I added a Topping L30 headphone amp from the Marantz Dac-1 and now have the amazing tonality and perfect clarity I was looking for.
Some of my favourite test tracks are any of the very well recorded acoustic tracks on Alice in Chains Unplugged album. Also Fink's song Trouble's what you're in, and the Niles Lofgren song Keith don't go, are some songs that sound awesome on my set up.
But everything from female vocals, classical, jazz and metal, all sound excellent.
I've heard LCD-4's and Focal Utopias from a Chord Dave, and I like mine better. The others are too bright for me.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #5,755 of 6,385
What amp are you using? I was never that happy with my 2017 LCD-3F's until I started using better amplification.
Even going with a Chord Mojo was a big step up from the integrated amps and other cheaper portable amps I tried.
Then going up to a Marantz HD Dac-1 provided much better tonality and natural sound, but was a small step down in clarity from the Mojo.
So I added a Topping L30 headphone amp from the Marantz Dac-1 and now have the amazing tonality and perfect clarity I was looking for.
Some of my favourite test tracks are any of the very well recorded acoustic tracks on Alice in Chains Unplugged album. Also Fink's song Trouble's what you're in, and the Niles Lofgren song Keith don't go, are some songs that sound awesome on my set up.
But everything from female vocals, classical, jazz and metal, all sound excellent.
I've heard LCD-4's and Focal Utopias from a Chord Dave, and I like mine better. The others are too bright for me.
Thanks, I am using a V280 balanced. But I thought to try my Lyr 2. I'll check it and update the thread after listening to some of the songs you guys mentioned.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #5,756 of 6,385
Thanks, I am using a V280 balanced. But I thought to try my Lyr 2. I'll check it and update the thread after listening to some of the songs you guys mentioned.

Theon Cross - Activate
That's a good test song too

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #5,757 of 6,385
I think we have similar equipment. I have the same amp and the RME ADI-2 DAC. I also have the LCD-3F. I know what you're talking about when it comes to wondering why things don't sound the same as I recall from previous listening sessions. Nothing is different from an equipment standpoint so if that was the only factor then it should always sound the same. But it doesn't. So what I'm speculating, it's us. It's whatever is happening between our ears. I suggest you try a different headphone for a short while and then go back to the LCD-3 to see if things go back to normal. Good luck.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #5,758 of 6,385
I think we have similar equipment. I have the same amp and the RME ADI-2 DAC. I also have the LCD-3F. I know what you're talking about when it comes to wondering why things don't sound the same as I recall from previous listening sessions. Nothing is different from an equipment standpoint so if that was the only factor then it should always sound the same. But it doesn't. So what I'm speculating, it's us. It's whatever is happening between our ears. I suggest you try a different headphone for a short while and then go back to the LCD-3 to see if things go back to normal. Good luck.
I actually thought of that. But now that it's at least two of us, maybe this set of cans is moody and it's not us :D

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #5,759 of 6,385
What have you been burning into your brain in the meantime?

I am using nowdays the Empy, but Joe Bonamassa's Blues Deluxe still sounds the best from the LCD-3.

I noticed some times ago that the recordings I listened to many times when the LCD-3 was in the honeymoon period are still sounding the best on the LCD-3. :o2smile:

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #5,760 of 6,385
What have you been burning into your brain in the meantime?

I am using nowdays the Empy, but Joe Bonamassa's Blues Deluxe still sounds the best from the LCD-3.

I noticed some times ago that the recordings I listened to many times when the LCD-3 was in the honeymoon period are still sounding the best on the LCD-3. :o2smile:
I didn't have time to try anything, been busy all day. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back